• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some info help

Does anyone remember the trade package the Angel's offered for Miguel Cabrera?  If I recall, the Marlins accepted the trade but backed out before it was finalized.   I was debating a friend if mine who the Angel's were offering.

I thought it was Santana, Kendrick Adenhart, wood, and Mathis.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Does anyone remember the trade package the Angel's offered for Miguel Cabrera?  If I recall, the Marlins accepted the trade but backed out before it was finalized.   I was debating a friend if mine who the Angel's were offering.

I think it was that minus Santana.  I could be wrong though.  And quite frankly none of us really know, just the rumor of what it was.

11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

How appropriate that wood is not capitalized.

the shining jack GIF

There wasn't an official package IIRC. There were names that were on the table. Brandon Wood, Howie Kendrick, Ervin Santana, Nick Adenhart, Joe Saunders and Reggie Willits.

The story goes, they had a deal in place before the Marlins backed out and started asking for more, which sent Arte over the edge because he'd already been on the phone with Cabrera's agent, negotiating an extension which was part of the deal. 

I think the deal was Wood, Santana, Adenhart and Willits.

The Tigers put in a last second bid that included both Cam Maybin and Andrew Miller, as well as taking Dontrelle Willis' contract offf their hands.

The Marlins called Moreno and wanted Kendrick and Saunders added into the deal while taking Adenhart out of it. Moreno was irate, but accepted that was the deal, but they didn't want to lose Willits because of the financial crunch they'd be under after the Cabrera extension. They needed an inexpensive starting LF and leadoff batter.

As the story goes, Reggie Willits was the player the Angels wouldn't add in the deal; and in itself, the failure is ironic only because Moreno would raise payroll higher for Wells, Pujols and Hamilton but was at the time unwilling to spend on MCab. Meanwhile, Willits would end up being a mediocre at best 4th OF.

Now I don't know how much of that is true, but it paints a poor picture of Moreno and serves as a reminder of two lessons...

1. Prospects are not superstars. If you can land a superstar for years at the cost of a couple of high end prospects, you do it. Even if it's Jo Adell. 

2. There's no substitute for a generational talent in his mid 20's. Not a generational talent in his mis-30's, not a good player at 32, not even an MVP at 33. You just can't recreate that magic, no matter how much you spend.