• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What the Maldy trade tells us

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not saying I'd rather have Jay, just pointing out that Upton hasn't exactly been amazing value and if you're assembling a team, you have to look towards maximizing value.

Lay's is the good bag of chips? I guess you don't shop at Whole Foods.

It's not about the value, it's about the quality. You don't get very far stocking your team with Sam's Choice

I have to imagine that Grandal will be high on our off-season priority list.  We need a good defensive catcher and we need LH power - he checks off both boxes.  Briceno can remain as our backup catcher.  Considering we likely aren't going to be pursuing either Harper or Machado, this can effectively be our big splash for the offseason.  I'm guessing he'll command a 4/60 type deal.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Lou, you forgot a key stat:

Salary: $6MM vs. $16MM

MM per WAR: $5.5MM vs. $6.4MM

So Jay has actually been slightly better value than Upton.

I don't care about a perceived difference in value of $900k.

who would you rather have playing full-time in LF? for me, the answer i

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, I agree, but...with a limited budget you have to weigh quality with value.

And to be successful you do that by squeezing out the center. You need cheap homegrowns pre-FA and proven producers. In the end what you get from Jay isn't enough better than what you could get from a well-stocked farm to justify

2 hours ago, Revad said:

That’s hard it could be a mistake.  I mean it’s a lot of talent.

id jump at that trade.  Eppler has to do it because The return... 

Catcher is the one position that needs to be upgraded and cannot be done internally. Realmuto is the best all around catcher in the game. If he was healthy all year and played his average 140 games, he would’ve been on pace for 7 WAR, which is star level. So we’re talking about a star player just reaching his prime and under control for the next 3 years. 

I hate trading our prospects but for his talent, age and contract I’d do it in a heart beat. I’m a huge fan of Marsh and Jones but the depth of OFers throughout the org and emergence of Rengifo has made the two expendable. It hurts to lose Suarez because of the lack of arms in the system but acquiring Patrick Sandoval in the Maldonado trade would ease the pain of potentially losing Suarez. 

I think we should upgrade RF. Calhoun just isn't dependable and we need that trait in our lineup. Unlike most of you, I don't mind keeping Valbuena as long as he comes off the bench. The problem is he's gotten too many at-bats. Kinsler has to go and if we can find an alternate for Marte, he should go too.

12 hours ago, stormngt said:

You really think he would turn down a trade to a contender?

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes he would turn it down.  He wants to be here and he is tired of moving from team to team.  We are his fifth team in like 10 years.  

Whether or not Scioscia stays might affect his decision.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not saying I'd rather have Jay, just pointing out that Upton hasn't exactly been amazing value and if you're assembling a team, you have to look towards maximizing value.

Lay's is the good bag of chips? I guess you don't shop at Whole Foods.

As a WFM employee, this got a laugh.

5 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Catcher is the one position that needs to be upgraded and cannot be done internally. Realmuto is the best all around catcher in the game. If he was healthy all year and played his average 140 games, he would’ve been on pace for 7 WAR, which is star level. So we’re talking about a star player just reaching his prime and under control for the next 3 years. 

I hate trading our prospects but for his talent, age and contract I’d do it in a heart beat. I’m a huge fan of Marsh and Jones but the depth of OFers throughout the org and emergence of Rengifo has made the two expendable. It hurts to lose Suarez because of the lack of arms in the system but acquiring Patrick Sandoval in the Maldonado trade would ease the pain of potentially losing Suarez. 

I agree that catcher is the spot we definitely have to upgrade, but why not just sign Grandal as a FA instead and keep the prospects?  We have considerably payroll available and are unlikely to pursue the several franchise players available, so we might as well go all in after Grandal.  Beyond just being a strong defensive catcher, he'd also provide us with the LH power that our lineup really needs.

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I agree that catcher is the spot we definitely have to upgrade, but why not just sign Grandal as a FA instead and keep the prospects?  We have considerably payroll available and are unlikely to pursue the several franchise players available, so we might as well go all in after Grandal.  Beyond just being a strong defensive catcher, he'd also provide us with the LH power that our lineup really needs.

Like @tdawg87 said, it makes sense so we wont.

I hope thats our plan...but whats the dodgers situation? Do they have a replacement? Meaning, we dont even know if he'll be available.

Going into the 2019 season we will have Cozart and Simmons and possible Fletcher handling 2B, SS and 3B.  We are going to need a part time 1B man (maybe JMF) who can handle something other than first.  We need to upgrade at catcher and pitching (both starting and relief).  We will still have too many guys recovering from TJ surgery.  We need to cut Shoe, GRich and some other deadweight.

The OF will be Upton, Trout and Calhoun (hopefully the recent version of Kole shows up for next year).

We all know Arte works within a budget, and Billy will need to keep that in mind as he moves forward.  

I understand why this trade was made, but i hate that we dealt from a spot that isnt really considered depth for us.  
This effectively opens another hole for us in '19. 
Maybe the plan is to bring him back, maybe they do make a play for Realmuto, i dont know what the plan is, but i know it just got a little harder.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

every year it's the same thing: "just sign (insert name of star FA)" 

this never happens, however. 

Grandal would make a lot of sense, supplying defense almost comparable to Machete ALONG with a strong LHH.  

Anddd, he's shown that bat since 2015, unlike Cozart's one year breakout in 2017.

What would it take?   3 years?  4 years?   $10 million/season?  $12 million/season?