• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What the Maldy trade tells us

I’m just saying, it there’s an intention to upgrade RF.  That is a good thing.  It’s a less critical area to address.  But Kole Calhoun being average over the course of an entire season seems like a best case scenario to me.  Which, if it happens, is just fine.  I just think that being confident in that is pretty suspect. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Looks like Maldonado won’t be the Angels first choice in free agency. 

ps don’t trade Bedrosian! We suffered through his growing pains and he’s been very good at times this season. I would hate to see him flourish on another team. 

Why can't Maldonado be our first choice again?

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m just saying, it there’s an intention to upgrade RF.  That is a good thing.  It’s a less critical area to address.  But Kole Calhoun being average over the course of an entire season seems like a best case scenario to me.  Which, if it happens, is just fine.  I just think that being confident in that is pretty suspect. 

There is an intention to upgrade RF, and their names are Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh. One of those two will be the starting RFer on Opening Day, 2020. Kole is a solid stop-gap until then, but if someone makes Billy an offer he can't refuse then we'll probably see a Hermowalsh platoon next year.

18 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Absolutely ! I swear some of you guys are gluttons for punishment.  Kole was not good last year either.  He was absolute dog shit this year longer then he’s been decent.  If we can upgrade at RF we sure as shit need to.  Obviously tho, the 3b and 2b issues are more urgent.  1B also. 

Doesn’t mean Kole is ideal tho.  Dog shit Kole is coming back.  Nobody is shit like that for that long just out of the blue.  And again, it wasn’t even just this year. 

He has been much better than decent since coming back, he has been really damn good.  

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the  people that want to trade Calhoun are the same ones bitching about us trading Cron.  

I thought the Cron trade was kind of meh, no bigee either way....it now looks like Eppler knew what he was doing....and I would trade Kole, if the offer was decent, maybe similar to today——a Sandoval type....

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I’m not trading Kole unless I have a viable replacement already lined up. Don’t want to do a season of Hermosillo and Blash types playing full time....

You can’t necessarily line up your 2019 RF’er in July of 2018.....there will be plenty of options in the offseason, FA’s and trades....

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

There is an intention to upgrade RF, and their names are Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh. One of those two will be the starting RFer on Opening Day, 2020. Kole is a solid stop-gap until then, but if someone makes Billy an offer he can't refuse then we'll probably see a Hermowalsh platoon next year.

The prospects definitely make a change at RF less likely.  

4 hours ago, Lou said:

how?

remember, it took us forever to find a decent player for LF

They were out there. We coulda had Michelin quality, instead we kept going for retreads.

Jon Jay would have been perfect, though more like Firestone quality. LH hitter, and finally a decent leadoff hitter for the Angels. Could have spelled Trout in CF, when needed. His combined salary for the last two years is about 2/3 of what we are paying Upton for a single season. Lifetime .350+ OBP. 

I couldnt believe it when we re-upped Upton. Look for another incredible Albert-like fade in the next couple years. It's already started. Never mind what he does against crappy pitching like the Chisox.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

They were out there. We coulda had Michelin quality, instead we kept going for retreads.

Jon Jay would have been perfect, though more like Firestone quality. LH hitter, and finally a decent leadoff hitter for the Angels. Could have spelled Trout in CF, when needed. His combined salary for the last two years is about 2/3 of what we are paying Upton for a single season. Lifetime .350+ OBP. 

I couldnt believe it when we re-upped Upton. Look for another incredible Albert-like fade in the next couple years. It's already started. Never mind what he does against crappy pitching like the Chisox.

We only added one more year.  

34 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Lou, you forgot a key stat:

Salary: $6MM vs. $16MM

MM per WAR: $5.5MM vs. $6.4MM

So Jay has actually been slightly better value than Upton.

Nothing against you but this ridiculous. You can buy a 8 oz no name brand of chips for $.75 or a 8 oz Lays bag for $2. By far the No name brand is the “better value” But it’s a no brainer on the quality of the chip. Besides we aren’t the Athletics. We can afford the Lays bag of chips. Or in David Justice’s case Pop. LOL.

12 minutes ago, WeaverFever said:

Nothing against you but this ridiculous. You can buy a 8 oz no name brand of chips for $.75 or a 8 oz bag for $2. By far the No name brand is the “better value” But it’s a no brainer on the quality of the chip. Besides we aren’t the Athletics. We can afford the Lays bag of chips. Or in David Justice’s case Pop. LOL.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Jay, just pointing out that Upton hasn't exactly been amazing value and if you're assembling a team, you have to look towards maximizing value.

Lay's is the good bag of chips? I guess you don't shop at Whole Foods.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

yeah, that was ridiculous.

27 starts:

.275 BA

.336/.598/.934

9  HR

6  2B

20 RBI

decent. 

If there was a team dumb enough to look only at Kole's stats since he came back and assume that's what he'll do over the rest of his contract and give even 80% value back using those stats as a base, you trade him immediately. 

I'm 98% certain nobody would buy his turnaround to that degree, but hey, Orioles and Rockies FO are really dumb, no harm in trying!