• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What the Maldy trade tells us

The Obvious: The Angels are sellers. While Maldonado isn't a star, he was an important part of the team's core and if Eppler thought the Angels had a viable chance at the postseason, they woudn't have traded him. 

But here's the thing. The fact that they traded Maldonado likely means that they're willing to trade any and all non-essential players. Meaning, anyone other than Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, and the young guys (Fletcher, better prospects). Anyone else is fair game. 

The Probable: Get ready for more trades. Well, at least a shedding of spare parts. Kinsler should be gone as he has some usefulness to a contending team; several of the relievers could be gone; who knows, maybe Eppler finds someone who will take Valbuena for a fringe prospect. But there really is no reason not to trade these guys.

Unlikely, But You Never Know: Calhoun or Upton. Kole has been hitting well since revamping his swing, and would be a good pickup for a contender in need of an outfielder. Upton is less likely, but could also be delt. Finally, while I highly doubt that Eppler will trade Skaggs or Heaney, some contender might blow him away with an offer.

The Speculative: Two things could be extrapolated from this trade:

One, Eppler is not beholden to Scioscia--who would never have made this trade--and/or Scioscia is gone after this year. 

Two, the Angels might be going after a good free agent catcher: Yasmani Grandal or Wilson Ramos. Or maybe they take a flyer on a Devin Mesoraco or Jonathan Lucroy, hoping that they recapture former glory. My hope would be for Grandal. 

As for JT Realmuto, I highly doubt Eppler wants to spend the prospect currency it would take to take Realmuto. Better to wait and go for Grandal/Ramos.

Anyhow, I'm not saying that the Angels will trade all of Calhoun, Kinsler, Valbuena, and several relievers, but that they are likely to at least trade a few other players. I mean, why not?

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

good post, but I don't think there's any way Upton or Calhoun gets dealt. we'd have to go get someone to replace them (see: 2018 reserve OFs)

Agree.  I still remember the riff-raff that patrolled left field after GA left AND the Zeros that held down Second Base when Howie was traded.  Unless the team picks up young players that are ready to assume those positions, it doesn't seem to indicate that the Angels would be interested in making such deals. (Unless of course they were absolutely blown away by offers.)

I don't want them to trade Calhoun or Upton at this point unless it's for a significant haul.  Our OF prospects aren't ready.  We need fewer holes for 2019.  Not more.  Neither player is a star, but they can play as borderline ones that complement and lengthen the lineup well.  

The rest can go.  I would definitely trade kinsler, parker, alvarez and cam.  Those guys could turn into pumpkins at any time.  Valbuena isn't going to get us anything.  

I think Billy knows what MS likes and will accommodate his catcher requests should he stay.  I also think MS understands quite well where this team is at right now and would agree to what the FO perceives as opportunities for improvement.  

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

......Unlikely, But You Never Know: Calhoun or Upton. Kole has been hitting well since revamping his swing, and would be a good pickup for a contender in need of an outfielder.........Anyhow, I'm not saying that the Angels will trade all of Calhoun, Kinsler, Valbuena, and several relievers, but that they are likely to at least trade a few other players. I mean, why not?

I’d trade Calhoun in a heartbeat......just don’t trust him after his first two months.....I think we could upgrade in RF in the offseason.......

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I’d trade Calhoun in a heartbeat......just don’t trust him after his first two months.....I think we could upgrade in RF in the offseason.......

how?

remember, it took us forever to find a decent player for LF

Kinsler getting hot at the right time could really help Bos, this needs to happen quickly. 

Valbuena has been relagated to backup duty, might be of help to someone, gone either way

What I found most interesting about this trade is who they called up, does this tell us Ward isnt ready or they dont want to start the clock till Sep?  i suspect the latter as it always seems to matter.   If noones getting called up till Sep the next month is going to be some very interesting baseball  :)

2 hours ago, Lou said:

how?

remember, it took us forever to find a decent player for LF

True that.....but offensively, he was so so last year and hot streak or not, he’s at .200 this year......just think we can do better offensively (not defensively, obviously)....

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

Kinsler getting hot at the right time could really help Bos, this needs to happen quickly. 

Valbuena has been relagated to backup duty, might be of help to someone, gone either way

What I found most interesting about this trade is who they called up, does this tell us Ward isnt ready or they dont want to start the clock till Sep?  i suspect the latter as it always seems to matter.   If noones getting called up till Sep the next month is going to be some very interesting baseball  :)

Ward isn’t a catcher anymore.  

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

good post, but I don't think there's any way Upton or Calhoun gets dealt. we'd have to go get someone to replace them (see: 2018 reserve OFs)

Yeah, I think it is unlikely. But here’s the thing: I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them, especially Kole, was traded. The Adell-Marsh era is looming and Hermosillo deserves more of a chance. I’d also like to see what Jabari would do with more regular at-bats. And then there’s Walsh.

The point being, Jared Hermoblash could probably at least equal Kole’s overall production this year.

2 hours ago, halomatt said:

Agree.  I still remember the riff-raff that patrolled left field after GA left AND the Zeros that held down Second Base when Howie was traded. 

I have no problem trading Kinsler, he is a FA to be and this team is going nowhere this year. I have confidence that Fletcher can handle 2B on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Absolutely ! I swear some of you guys are gluttons for punishment.  Kole was not good last year either.  He was absolute dog shit this year longer then he’s been decent.  If we can upgrade at RF we sure as shit need to.  Obviously tho, the 3b and 2b issues are more urgent.  1B also. 

Doesn’t mean Kole is ideal tho.  Dog shit Kole is coming back.  Nobody is shit like that for that long just out of the blue.  And again, it wasn’t even just this year. 

I'm a bit more bullish on Kole. He's always been streaky so I don't expect that to change, and he's been very good for over 100 PA, so I'm thinking he figured out whatever is wrong. I'd trade him if someone offers a good young arm or two, but I don't have a problem pencilling him in next year, with the caveat that we all know he's just keeping RF warm for Adell or Marsh.

Next year I think Kole will hit somewhere in the .240-.270 range with a .700-.750 OPS, 20ish HR and good defense. A 3ish WAR player.

If he's playing well by the deadline next year and the Angels are out of it, I fully expect him to be traded.