• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Because science demands it: A Justin Upton poll

Justin Upton  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Angels be better off without Justin Upton ?

• Yes
    • No

Many AW folk appear to dislike Justin Upton.  So, let’s see how many of us really think Justin Upton is a problem for the Angels and wish that we had not signed him.  

Please also consider that since Garrett Anderson put out to pasture the following ANGEL GREATS have manned left field for the team.  

Josh Hamilton, Vernon Wells,  Bobby Abreu, Hideki Matsui, Daniel Nava, Craig Gentry, Reggie Willits,  David DeJesus,  Collin Cowgil,  Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino. 

A fine list of baseball luminaries to be sure.  Definitely makes me reflect critically on Justin Upton.  Still on the fence tho. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

He's underperformed in the field and in clutch situations so he's been a punching bag for negativity but he'll likely end up earning his money over the next 5 seasons.  Here are the leftfielders stats for the entire MLB

image.png.a654dd0c15ed6c1720516b34671b100d.png

It could be worse.  Hopefully, he starts hitting with runners on base sooner rather than later.

No. He's come exactly as advertised. The defense is probably worse than expected, but his bat has definitely been a plus. 

He's not going to be a 1.000 OPS player, and he never has been. He's a guy who will bat around .250-.270 with an .800 OPS and 30 HR. Pretty much exactly what he's on pace for. 

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Please also consider that since Garrett Anderson put out to pasture the following ANGEL GREATS have manned left field for the team.  

Josh Hamilton, Vernon Wells,  Bobby Abreu, Hideki Matsui, Daniel Nava, Craig Gentry, Reggie Willits,  David DeJesus,  Collin Cowgil,  Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino. 

I don't remember cringing every time a fly ball was hit in the general direction of those players..

I'm on board with Upton.   With him you know what to expect.  He's going to have stretches that will be unmatched and stretches where we cringe.  Much of the game of baseball is contagious and when most of the team isn't hitting, he's going to fit right in.  Over the next 4+ seasons, he will be better than most in LF.

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I sure hope he does improve with RISP, because a .170 BA with RISP ongoing ain't makin' it.

170 is horrible, I looked up past seasons just to see what kind of history he had.

2014 .228

2015 .277

2016 .272

2017 .336

It tells me he can and probably will improve on that .170, so there is hope.

No. 

Upton is having a down year but he's still on pace to hit 30+ HR, 10+ SB. He's also bound to get hot soon. He runs hot/cold throughout the season. 

We haven't had a LF this productive since GA to be honest. I'll take it. 

The Angels should look at trading for J.T. Realmuto since we're in line to keep Calhoun, Pujols at RF/1B and we'll probably go with a couple rookies perhaps at 2B/3B in Rengifo/Ward if Cozart sucks next year. 

The Angels seriously need a solid hitter hitting before and after Trout. Get guys on base (Fletcher or Rengifo at leadoff, Simmons at #2), then Realmuto batting cleanup behind Trout. This forces opposing pitchers to actually pitch to Trout for facks sake. Nobody is afraid to pitch to Upton and while he's good, he's not good enough to protect Trout IMO. Ohtani should bat in between Upton & Pujols next year (assuming Pujols doesn't hang it up, which is doubtful). 

I've mentioned this before.  His defense is average and actually every metric backs that up for this year based on positional adjustments.  

Def - middle of the pack.  UZR - middle of the pack.  

He's got good range and poor hands so he gets to a lot of balls and then drops them.  Those make for some pretty spectacular and memorable misses.  He's also got a strong but inaccurate arm but still has six assists to one throwing error.  He also only has 1 fielding error this year.  

He's 6th in WAR for LFers.  On pace for about 3.5 WAR.  

Not hitting with RISP has made for a bad optic.  

He shouldn't be the first or second best hitter on a team.  He and Simmons are perfect (yet somewhat opposite) complementary hitters (Simmons d makes him the star he is).  Calhoun should function in a similar way and based on the way he's been since returning, I think he can be going forward.  I think Ohtani is also in that fold.  

All four of those guys - Upton, Simmons, Calhoun, Ohtani are what I like to call lineup lengtheners as opposed to moto guys.  Albert is pretty much dead weight.  Fletcher will be the perfect #9 hitter going forward.  Scrappy.  Puts the ball in play.  Needs to walk more.  Kinsler is not a good hitter.  Maldo is a terrible hitter.  

Everyone is correct to think that we are true moto bat and one more lineup lengthener away from a very good offense.  But the OF positions are set as is SS.  So you've got to get it from 2b/3b, C, or maybe 1b.  

I like JT realmuto, but he's not a moto bat.  Your best shot at getting one is probably at 3b.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Everyone is correct to think that we are true moto bat and one more lineup lengthener away from a very good offense.  But the OF positions are set as is SS.  So you've got to get it from 2b/3b, C, or maybe 1b.  

I like JT realmuto, but he's not a moto bat.  Your best shot at getting one is probably at 3b.  

Unfortunately I think Josh Donaldson is on the decline and he will probably command too much money. I would rather give the job to Taylor Ward. Machado won't play 3B, so he's out. 

The only true MOTO bat is Bryce Harper via FA, though there's A.J. Pollock to consider too. 

It would seem a trade would have to be made to acquire a true MOTO to protect Trout. 

5 hours ago, Barrett said:

Depends what they are replacing him with? Are they replacing him with JD Martinez who they could have had this off season instead of then yes they would be better if they are replacing him with some random scrub then no.

Keep beating that dead horse.  

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Unfortunately I think Josh Donaldson is on the decline and he will probably command too much money. I would rather give the job to Taylor Ward. Machado won't play 3B, so he's out. 

The only true MOTO bat is Bryce Harper via FA, though there's A.J. Pollock to consider too. 

It would seem a trade would have to be made to acquire a true MOTO to protect Trout. 

Give the 3B job to Ward, and if he struggles, do whatever it takes to sign Arenado.  He might end up being one of the very few recent FAs to succeed here.