• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Overreactions about Eppler

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get what you're saying.   But if the bad stop gap acquisitions continue for the next couple of seasons, the team will not be that much closer to post-season play.  

What Eppler is building towards is to not have to rely on stopgap acquisitions. Look at the talent the Astros, Cubs, and Dodgers have brought up through their system. That is what Eppler is striving for

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

What Eppler is building towards is to not have to rely on stopgap acquisitions. Look at the talent the Astros, Cubs, and Dodgers have brought up through their system. That is what Eppler is striving for

True, but in the meantime he needs to get better at the stop gap acquisitions.   Whether that's on the MLB scouts or on him, it needs to change.

I'm not going to search through pages and pages of threads...but for you all Eppler sucks people...I have a few questions:

Upton signing (at the time of the extension) happy with it or not?

Kinsler same question

Cozart same question

Being an arm chair gm with 20/20 vision into the past is a great thing.  This past offseason, we had holes in LF, 2B and 3B...our GM addressed those positions with Upton, Kinsler and Cozart.  If memory serves me correctly, most people here where pretty happy with the moves.  Going into the season with the starting pitching we had, while yes subject to past injury troubles, we still had eight or nine deep, no one could have expect this many injuries to the staff....What if teams like the A's or Mariners had as many injuries...would they be in the same position.  

Eppler did blow it on the pen, but again, two players in the pen are out with TJ surgery.

2018 will be known as the season of the TJ surgery for our pitching staff.

Just some food for thought that I have posted in the past, but needs to be brought up again...

On the current DL list:

Angels have 11 players, of which 10 are on the 60 day DL, of which 8 are out for the season of which have had TJ surgery (for some perspective, the Astros, A's, Rangers and Mariners combined have three players who are on the DL recovering from TJ surgery).

The teams ahead of us in the AL West (Astros, A's' and Mariners) have a combined 13 players on the DL.

31 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

I'm not going to search through pages and pages of threads...but for you all Eppler sucks people...I have a few questions:

Kinsler same question

Cozart same question

Being an arm chair gm with 20/20 vision into the past is a great thing.  This past offseason, we had holes in LF, 2B and 3B...our GM addressed those positions with Upton, Kinsler and Cozart.  If memory serves me correctly, most people here where pretty happy with the moves.  Going into the season with the starting pitching we had, while yes subject to past injury troubles, we still had eight or nine deep, no one could have expect this many injuries to the staff....What if teams like the A's or Mariners had as many injuries...would they be in the same position.  

Eppler did blow it on the pen, but again, two players in the pen are out with TJ surgery.

Just some food for thought that I have posted in the past, but needs to be brought up again...

On the current DL list:

Angels have 11 players, of which 10 are on the 60 day DL, of which 8 are out for the season of which have had TJ surgery (for some perspective, the Astros, A's, Rangers and Mariners combined have three players who are on the DL recovering from TJ surgery).

The teams ahead of us in the AL West (Astros, A's' and Mariners) have a combined 13 players on the DL.

I was happy with all 3 signings for what its worth.

11 hours ago, Hufflepuff said:

Sucks to lose obviously, but I like where this team is going. I think Eppler has by far done more good than bad. He’s been extremely resourceful considering the salary bind he’s been in. He sees the big picture, and where he wants to steer the ship. He’s done a good job in the draft, which to me says a lot. He’s made great acquisitions with Ohtani and Maitan which nobody seems to give him credit for. The moves people feel are his “bad moves” have never hurt the team long term, and I felt we’re caluculated risks with upside. Many people on this board were so excited and praised the kinsler and cozart signings. They didn’t work out, so what. They very well could have had great seasons and suddenly he’s a genius again. Bottom line, the trade and signing didn’t hurt the team or effect his long term goal in my opinion. 

Exactly.

First, yeah, hes signed some shitbirds like valbuena. That said, none of the duds are long term...like i said in my previous post, its all bandaids while we build the farm.

And second, like you said, most on here were happy with this offseason. Personally, i was let down we didnt sign moustakas...which shows i dont know sh*t either.

While i was let down with cozart, im willing to give he and eppler a second chance on it. He switched leagues and positions, and stumbled. Im willing to give him a look next year and hope he improves. Personally i think hes a good guy to have around....the mistake is a guy like him being expected to be part of a core.

I think basically thats been our biggest problem the last few years....we have plenty of "depth"...no core (aside from trout and to a lesser degree, upton). You can hide guys like cozart, or Maldonado etc. But not when (aside from trout and upton) simmons is your 3rd best hitter. With no leadoff hitter. Even "good" calhoun is more of a compliment bat than a core one. But the last few years, kole was supposed to be the core...with trout and 80 year old albert.

To add to the "patience" part...only time will tell...but rengifo could turn out to be our next simmons trade...

How would that make eppler look? We may have gotten our cesar hernandez....

Kinsler = was okay with it as just a one year thing (no way bringing him back).

Cozart - overpayment, regression expected.

Upton - 50/50, but expected more offensively with runners on base. 

Adding to TORS' post, the one core position player I would add as a FA is after the 2019 season (Arenado), if Ward doesn't work out.   Arenado checks all of the boxes (excellent 3B defense, excellent power even on the road, 1.215 RISP OPS from 2015-2017, more maturity than Machado, only turning 29 in April 2020, and local O.C. product).

Another thing ill add (and strads where to spend the money thread mentions it) is everyone keeps saying (rightfully so) they want the team to stop signing over 30 year old players who are on the downside.

Well, shit. Theres only 3 ways to do that in the current mlb. Pay out the ass for the top tier guys, who were good enough to make the majors in their early 20s and are FAs when theyre 28 years old or so...good luck with that (how many of those guys hit the market?)

2, trade for those guys...which is just as expensive in prospect currency.

3-build the farm

Eppler is doing what we want and should be doing....give it time.

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

Kinsler same question

Cozart same question

Happy with Upton signing - although privately I always get a little nervous about any large contracts the Angels sign because of the overall history of big contracts across baseball.

Kinsler - Hated it. Hate him.  I hold grudges - plus, anytime someone talks about a "rebound" year - I roll my eyes a bit.

Cozart - Looked good at the time, but again privately - I wonder about players who perform well in a contract year.  Thinking GMJ...

So, I liked 2 of the 3 - but I wasn't overcome with joy or anything.  Figured the team would be better.

40 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Forgot about Troy Glaus, John Lackey, Bengie Molina, Scot Shields, Francisco Rodríguez, and practically the entire 2002 World Series Championship team.

Those are great memories.

I sure wish Disney had stayed in control. farm would have been better and stop gaps not necessary.

17 hours ago, Anaheim Ohtanitrouts said:

I hate to say it but I agree about Trout. Hes been the best player in baseball for what now, 7 years in a row? And hes been to the playoffs one time? Obviously we all want him to stay but I think it's time to get realistic and think why would he stay? The man deserves to win and at the very least should be playing in the playoffs every year...

Teams trading a superstar usually only do so in the players walk season - many times its half way through that walk season so the acquiring team knows they only have that superstar player the rest of the season and may not retain his services after that season . The more time the acquiring team possesses that player the more you could expect back in compensation . 

So based on that -if the Angels are not showing an improved team outlook by July of next season - I would first ask Trout if he would willing to sign a new contract and pay him accordingly -if he balks at a contract extension - take it for what it is -he doesn't wish to remain after his contract expires - so halfway through next year -let it be known he is available and start the process of rebuilding - from the ground up .

It hurts to think about that scenario - but NO player is bigger than the team .. The ultimate goal is winning and since we aren't able to do it with him perhaps getting some high ranked prospects who are ready to play and some draft picks is the way to improve the team overall .

I am not thinking we should do this if next years team is battling for a wild card - and if he can be resigned of course do it .. But if next year looks like a repeat of this way -and he won't sign -see what we can get in return for a player under contract until after the 2020 season ..

5 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Kinsler same question

Cozart same question

On the current DL list:

If only we had threads about these acquisitions 

10 minutes ago, DJO said:

Teams trading a superstar usually only do so in the players walk season - many times its half way through that walk season so the acquiring team knows they only have that superstar player the rest of the season and may not retain his services after that season . The more time the acquiring team possesses that player the more you could expect back in compensation . 

So based on that -if the Angels are not showing an improved team outlook by July of next season - I would first ask Trout if he would willing to sign a new contract and pay him accordingly -if he balks at a contract extension - take it for what it is -he doesn't wish to remain after his contract expires - so halfway through next year -let it be known he is available and start the process of rebuilding - from the ground up .

It hurts to think about that scenario - but NO player is bigger than the team .. The ultimate goal is winning and since we aren't able to do it with him perhaps getting some high ranked prospects who are ready to play and some draft picks is the way to improve the team overall .

I am not thinking we should do this if next years team is battling for a wild card - and if he can be resigned of course do it .. But if next year looks like a repeat of this way -and he won't sign -see what we can get in return for a player under contract until after the 2020 season ..

Unfortunately I would say I agree ?