• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Mike Trout swing at more pitches?

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Well there is Luis Valburna dragging the average down. :D

Seriously, we see how damn good Trout is as a ballplayer and then say he should be better forgetting what the majority of ballplayers can only hope to achieve.

Like going to Farrell's, ording up a Zoo then asking for a couple more scoops, more chocolate sauce and three more cherries. And one spoon. Gluttony at it's finest. Meanwhile at the other table, Padre fan is eating his single scoop and is envious. 

Nobody is saying that Trout isn’t a great hitter. I don’t think that was the intent of this thread. Should Trout swing at more pitches is the question? 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Boston 5-9 is a powerhouse lol 

And?  I realize many things about stats seem to confuse you

Boston is posting OPS+ of 191 (Betts), 141 (Benitendi), 171 (Martinez), 123 (Moreland), and 130 (Bogaerts) 1-5...that's the best in baseball 

Followed by Brock Holt proving a solid 98 OPS+ and .358 OBP and Steve Pearce proving a .400 OBP in reserve

This is not hard...well., for some

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

And?  I realize many things about stats seem to confuse you

Boston is posting OPS+ of 191 (Betts), 141 (Benitendi), 171 (Martinez), 123 (Moreland), and 130 (Bogaerts) 1-5...that's the best in baseball 

Followed by Brock Holt proving a solid 98 OPS+ and .358 OBP and Steve Pearce proving a .400 OBP in reserve

This is not hard...well., for some

You're argument is lineup protection ... So you believe Trout would put up Martinez type numbers if playing for Boston. 

Let's not get derailed from the OP's question ... should Trout swing at more pitches ? Personally I think he walks too much and would benefit swinging at more strikes. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

You're argument is lineup protection ... So you believe Trout would put up Martinez type numbers if playing for Boston. 

Let's not get derailed from the OP's question ... should Trout swing at more pitches ? Personally I think he walks too much and would benefit swinging at more strikes. 

Trout would have more runs scored, more RBI, more HRs, likely less walks and more K's because 1) men would be on base in front of him and 2) guys behind him could drive him in.  In that line up, he would see more pitches to hit and would walk less. 

Would he put-up Martinez type numbers if playing for Boston?

Why, yes, because Trout is leading Martinez in OPS 1.056 to 1.031 and OPS+ 192 to 171...Trout is having a better offensive year than Martinez so I'm not sure if you thought out your question.

As for is he should swing more?  A walk is better than an out...if he's not getting pitches why swing.  I guess the only change might be to try and foul off the closer ones with two strikes but he's still 27 so he might adjust to that later

30 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Trout would have more runs scored, more RBI, more HRs, likely less walks and more K's because 1) men would be on base in front of him and 2) guys behind him could drive him in.  In that line up, he would see more pitches to hit and would walk less. 

Would he put-up Martinez type numbers if playing for Boston?

Why, yes, because Trout is leading Martinez in OPS 1.056 to 1.031 and OPS+ 192 to 171...Trout is having a better offensive year than Martinez so I'm not sure if you thought out your question.

As for is he should swing more?  A walk is better than an out...if he's not getting pitches why swing.  I guess the only change might be to try and foul off the closer ones with two strikes but he's still 27 so he might adjust to that later

Two different type of hitters ... no way to speculate if Trout would be as productive as Martinez. You're guessing yes and I'm guessing no. 

A walk is better than a out ... it's better than a strikeout. I prefer the ball to be put in play. You don't need to protect Trout ... who doesn't love Trout!

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

no way to speculate if Trout would be as productive as Martinez. You're guessing yes and I'm guessing no. 

What's to speculate?

He's a better hitter than Martinez and having a better season overall.

I"m not really guessing because there is actually, you know, numbers and stuff...

Trout (2018) :

image.png.c007464f3914b38e939a0c3fc7994f7a.png

Martinez (2018):

image.png.4f810b47f937c9f47578b6caf997c2bf.png

Martinez has had double the chances with runners on base and Trout has been intentionally walked 13 more times than Martinez in the same circumstance 

image.png

Maybe it's just me... but I always get a kick out of guys on a message board who are trying to "fix" or "make better" players like Mike Trout.  He's the best player in the world and it's just not enough...

Bryce Harper expanded his strike zone this year and swung at more pitches and his batting average and OBP suffered. 

13 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

What's to speculate?

He's a better hitter than Martinez and having a better season overall.

I"m not really guessing because there is actually, you know, numbers and stuff...

Trout (2018) :

image.png.c007464f3914b38e939a0c3fc7994f7a.png

Martinez (2018):

image.png.4f810b47f937c9f47578b6caf997c2bf.png

Martinez has had double the chances with runners on base and Trout has been intentionally walked 13 more times than Martinez in the same circumstance 

image.png

This exercise is not about who's the better hitter ... the question is "does Trout need to swing at more pitches?"  Thanks for taking the time and sharing those stats. 

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I just saw a promo on MLB channel and it showed Trout swinging at a ball in the dirt for strike three. Probably shouldn't have swung more that at bat.

He swung at a couple bad of pitches last night. It's easy to get fooled on pitches ... Mike is pretty good at not getting fooled. I wouldn't mind seeing him hit the high strike more often.