• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

The 2017-2018 Free Agent Class

As much as we've ragged on Kinsler, Cozart, and Upton, and Eppler's reluctance to spend on pitching, there really isn't much out to suggest we would have done better with the alternatives.
Let this also serve as a reminder when we think about what needs we have to fill this offseason, and to remember that free agency may not be the best route.

Was the ice-cold FA season because teams suspected so much decrease? Are the players struggling because of the late signings? Will it continue this offseason? 

infielders:
Angels went with Ian Kinsler, 1.9 WAR, OPS+ of 85, Zack Cozart, 0.1 WAR, 83 OPS+
Mike Moustakas: 
.247/.309/460/.770, 109 OPS+, 2 WAR - only slashing .221/.298/.406/.703 in his last 67 games
Eduardo Nunez:
.252/.279/.354/.633, OPS+ 69, -1.4 WAR - talked up as an option for his speed and versatility, Nunez is 4-6 in SB attempts, and limited to 2B/3B
Neil Walker: 
.196/.281/.286/.568, OPS+ 56, -0.8 WAR
Eric Hosmer: 
.245/.311/.387/697, OPS+ 90, 0.1 WAR - CJ Cron has posted an OPS+ of 123, 1.3 WAR, and more XBH (37 vs. 24)
Logan Morrison:
.195/.288/.375/.663, OPS+ 80, 0.2 WAR - 
Yonder Alonso:
.256/.329/.446/.774, OPS+ 105, 0.8 WAR - one of the least favorite board options has been one of the better FA 1Bs
Carlos Santana:
.209/.352/.398/.750, OPS+ 103, 0.7 WAR - still an OBP machine, with 77 walks on the year
Todd Frazier:
.217/.300/.385/.685, OPS+ 89, 1.1 WAR

starting pitchers:
Aside from Ohtani, the Angels stayed with what they had, and it's worked, if you don't think about the injuries...
Alex Cobb:
2-13, 6.17 ERA, 5.03 FIP, 67 ERA+, 1.57 WHIP in 97.2 innings, with -0.7 WAR
Lance Lynn:
7-8. 5.23 ERA, 4.68 FIP, 82 ERA+, 1.66 WHIP in 96.1 innings, with -0.3 WAR
Jason Vargas:
2-6, 8.60 ERA, 6.61 FIP, 45 ERA+, 1.83 WHIP in 37.2 innings, with -0.9 WAR and multiple DL stints
Yu Darvish:
1-3, 4.95 ERA, 4.86 FIP, 87 ERA+, 1.43 WHIP in 40 innings, with -0.2 WAR and multiple DL stints
Tyler Chatwood:
4-5, 4.84 ERA, 5.43 FIP, 89 ERA+, 1.75 WHIP in 89.1 innings, with 0.3 WAR; he has walked 79 and struck out 78
Jake Arrieta:
7-6, 3.47 ERA, 4.09 FIP, 119 ERA+, 1.27 WHIP in 106.1 innings, with 1.7 WAR - by and far the best, but also significantly expensive and aging.
CC Sabathia:
6-4. 3.51 ERA, 4.55 FIP, 122 ERA+, 127 WHIP in 100 innings, with 1.2 WAR - he'd be tied with Skaggs and Heaney for most GS (18), 3rd most IP (100), and 3rd best ERA+ (behind Skaggs and Ohtani) if the Angels had signed him.

outfielders:
The Angels opted to keep Justin Upton: 2.5 WAR, 121 OPS+
J. D. Martinez:
.321/.386/.629/1.015, OPS+ 167, 4.1 WAR - often mentioned as the biggest miss, but the real miss may have been...
Lorenzo Cain:
.290/.390/.417/.807, OPS+ 116, 4.6 WAR - hits leadoff, gets on base, steals bases (18-22), and playing exceptional defense. Would've had to move him to COF, hurting his value some, but still. Torii 2.0?

relievers:
Eppler again opted mostly to stay in-house and rely on waiver claims. Mixed results - Noe, Robles, Cole, and Anderson have emerged. 
Wade Davis:
42 G, 39.2 IP, 3.63 ERA, 132 ERA+, 3.91 FIP, 1.13 WHIP, K/9 of 10.0, 28-32 in save opps, 1 WAR
Bryan Shaw:
45 G, 40 IP, 6.98 ERA, 68 ERA+, 5.41 FIP, 1.88 WHIP, K/9 of 9.0, 12 holds, 4 blown saves, -1.4 WAR
Jake McGee
40 G, 34.2 IP, 5.97 ERA, 80 ERA+, 4.60 FIP, 1.47 WHIP, K/9 of 8.3, 12 holds, 2 blown saves, -0.4 WAR
Greg Holland:
32 G, 25 IP, 7.92 ERA, 50 ERA+, 4.56 FIP, 2.24 WHIP, K/9 of 7.9, 2 holds, 3 blown saves, -1.4 WAR
Brandon Morrow:
35 G, 30.2 IP, 1.47 ERA, 122 ERA+, 2.96 FIP, 1.08 WHIP, K/9 of 9.1, 2 holds, 22-24 save opps, 1.4 WAR - but he's on the DL for an unknown length with biceps irritation
Anthony Swarzak:
18 G, 16.2 IP, 7.56 ERA, 51 ERA+, 6.70 FIP, 1.98 WHIP, K/9 of 9.7, 2 holds, 1 blown save, 1 save, -0.5 WAR 
Addison Reed:
41 G, 41 IP, 4.83 ERA, 89 ERA+, 5.06 FIP, 1.44 WHIP, K/9 of 8.1, 10 holds, 4 blown saves, -0.2 WAR - on DL for unknown time with elbow impingement
Tony Watson:
46 G, 44.1 IP, 2.03 ERA, 197 ERA+, 2.64 FIP, 1.04 WHIP, K/9 of 9.3, 22 holds, 3 blown saves, 1.6 WAR - arguably the best FA RP signed for the least - 2/$7m total with a player option 3rd year
Yusmeiro Petit:
47 G, 62.1 IP, 3.47 ERA, 118 ERA+, 3.94 FIP, 1.06 WHIP, K/9 of 7.1, 10 holds, 2 blown saves, 1 save, 0.8 WAR - K/9 dove from 10 to 7, his ERA/FIP has increased by almost a run. Justin Anderson has 0.6 WAR.
Bud Norris:
41 G, 40 IP, 3.38 ERA, 117 ERA+, 3.06 FIP, 1.08 WHIP, K/9 increased to 11.5, 2 holds, 18-21 in save opps, 0.3 WAR 

Yeah, the infielders are a disaster this year.  Moustakas and Hosmer both were suspect options last season and SD really screwed the pooch on that 8 year deal...wow.

J.D. Martinez was always going to be a Red Sox, is was just a matter of them working out a contract.  Cain would have been a solid option but, in comparing Upton and Cain, they had similar seasons last year (Cain 4.8 WAR, Upton 5.7 WAR) but Upton was almost two years younger.  Obviously, Upton has struggled to match last seasons but both are capable of 4 to 5 WAR year in, year out.

All the starting pitching favorites have struggled in one form or another and, holy shit, what happened to Tyler Chatwood?!  I know there were people on the board who wanted him but, with his BB/9 and WHIP, I could never understand why.  Now, his control has completely left him.  Bullpen results are scary as well.

No easy fixes through free agency.

Until the next CBA, I think there will be continued trends of MLB teams getting younger - they're going to get more prospects up quicker than usual and extend them as early/cheaply as possible - and of prospects soaring in value.

Teams will need to be good at developing and at trading prospects talent in order to stay competitive - FA has never been this inefficient and it likely won't change. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Until the next CBA, I think there will be continued trends of MLB teams getting younger - they're going to get more prospects up quicker than usual and extend them as early/cheaply as possible - and of prospects soaring in value.

Teams will need to be good at developing and at trading prospects talent in order to stay competitive - FA has never been this inefficient and it likely won't change. 

Yeah, this is the thing that went against the whole conspiracy theories from agents as to why the free agent market was slow last season.

If every team has their own analytics department, and each are looking at the same data, they are likely coming to the same conclusion - free agents 30 and over rarely work out and are not as valuable, as in WAR per dollar spent, as 22 or 23 year old prospects tearing up AA.  By virtue of that early promotion, guys will become free agents as early as 27/28, near their peak, and could get their deals then...perhaps that is the market correction.

Upton is fine.  His 121 ops+ is his career avg.  

the thing that hurts is his .176 avg with RISP.  He rocked a .120 avg with RISP last year after coming over.  That's not going to sit well with a fan base after signing a big FA contract.  

I was a big Chatwood guy. I thought getting him out of Colorado would stabilize him and make him more aggressive.  It's actually had the opposite effect.  

Free agency is for supplementation.  If you can't consistently fill holes with farm pieces then you are going to feel the pain of the FA and trade rental market.  

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, this is the thing that went against the whole conspiracy theories from agents as to why the free agent market was slow last season.

If every team has their own analytics department, and each are looking at the same data, they are likely coming to the same conclusion - free agents 30 and over rarely work out and are not as valuable, as in WAR per dollar spent, as 22 or 23 year old prospects tearing up AA.  By virtue of that early promotion, guys will become free agents as early as 27/28, near their peak, and could get their deals then...perhaps that is the market correction.

And if a team composed of mostly young players and prospects struggles while developing at the big-league level, it doesn't really hurt the team as they still can play the 'tanking' card or ability to play for better draft picks. 

What we're seeing with the Braves, Athletics, and Phillies this year only reinforces the idea. Blue Jays next year will likely be able to roll with the youth and sink or swim with them.

I'm perfectly happy with Upton and feel he'll be worth it in the long run. JD never felt like an option. I loved Lorenzo Cain but not enough to pass on Upton, and as much as I would have liked to have seen Calhoun dealt by now, it was never very likely. 

I still liked Carlos Santana - not at that price - and Addison Reed. I wanted Chatwood too but he signed so early on I didn't have much chance to envision his presence in the roster. I wanted Norris back, and I loved the idea of Sabathia on a one-year deal.

All of this has me very curious on how Eppler proceeds the next few months. The 18-19 FA class really doesn't fit - not much in the way of stopgaps, and too many big names we can't really afford. I expect that we'll either see a big youth movement and inclusion of prospects into the '19-'20 teams, or we'll see a few start to get traded away.

Brandon Morrow:
35 G, 30.2 IP, 1.47 ERA, 122 ERA+, 2.96 FIP, 1.08 WHIP, K/9 of 9.1, 2 holds, 22-24 save opps, 1.4 WAR - but he's on the DL for an unknown length with biceps irritation

Brandon Morrow:
41 G, 41 IP, 4.83 ERA, 89 ERA+, 5.06 FIP, 1.44 WHIP, K/9 of 8.1, 10 holds, 4 blown saves, -0.2 WAR - on DL for unknown time with elbow impingement

Crazy how bad he's been and how good hes been...

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the thing that hurts is his .176 avg with RISP.  He rocked a .120 avg with RISP last year after coming over.  That's not going to sit well with a fan base after signing a big FA contract.  

Currently Upton is umpiring his strikeouts. Instead of spoiling close pitches with two strikes he is calling the game from the batters box, which is never a good idea.

Last night is a perfect example, he was called out on outside pitches that the umpire established that zone on the first pitch of the night. Then as the last batter with two men on he wants to argue strike three that crossed the plate. You can't stare at close pitches with 2 strikes, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. That's just stupid to umpire your own game in that situation. He has to play to spoil those pitches and look for something to drive. Instead he watches the umpire choose his fate. 

And it's not just Upton, Trout has used too extreme of plate disciple as well with two strikes. He also needs to spoil some pitches rather than trying to only make perfect swings. I'm not saying expand the zone and try and force a hit but protect the plate and fungo a few foul. It is a skill no longer taught it seems.

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Currently Upton is umpiring his strikeouts. Instead of spoiling close pitches with two strikes he is calling the game from the batters box, which is never a good idea.

Last night is a perfect example, he was called out on outside pitches that the umpire established that zone on the first pitch of the night. Then as the last batter with two men on he wants to argue strike three that crossed the plate. You can't stare at close pitches with 2 strikes, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. That's just stupid to umpire your own game in that situation. He has to play to spoil those pitches and look for something to drive. Instead he watches the umpire choose his fate. 

And it's not just Upton, Trout has used too extreme of plate disciple as well with two strikes. He also needs to spoil some pitches rather than trying to only make perfect swings. I'm not saying expand the zone and try and force a hit but protect the plate and fungo a few foul. It is a skill no longer taught it seems.

On point with Upton.  He needs to expand the zone a bit and extend the at bat on close pitches as he's likely not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

With Trout, though, there is really no incentive for a pitcher to keep him off the base when the guys behind him are hitting so poorly with runners in scoring position.  Even if Trout spoils a couple, if they continue to work him outside or on the fringes of the strike zone, his choices are either swing, and either prolong the at bat and take your chances, or take the sure walk.  Upton and Pujols had a chance to make teams pay for pitching around Trout and they failed so it's likely to continue.

25 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And if a team composed of mostly young players and prospects struggles while developing at the big-league level, it doesn't really hurt the team as they still can play the 'tanking' card or ability to play for better draft picks. 

What we're seeing with the Braves, Athletics, and Phillies this year only reinforces the idea. Blue Jays next year will likely be able to roll with the youth and sink or swim with them.

Padres as well.  They have some mediocrity on their roster that will soon be replaced by some solid, talented youth.

30 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Brandon Morrow:

Brandon Morrow:

Crazy how bad he's been and how good hes been...

Whoops

51 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Upton is fine.  His 121 ops+ is his career avg.  

I was a big Chatwood guy. I thought getting him out of Colorado would stabilize him and make him more aggressive.  It's actually had the opposite effect.  

Free agency is for supplementation.  If you can't consistently fill holes with farm pieces then you are going to feel the pain of the FA and trade rental market.  

I thought that too. However, Chatwood has been a disaster. Just walks guys left and right.

31 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Padres as well.  They have some mediocrity on their roster that will soon be replaced by some solid, talented youth.

Yup - the Angels could fit into that grouping too. You can plug several prospects into the MLB roster...
'18: Fletcher and Herm already, and I think Suarez and Ward will appear before end of the year, Rengifo as well, as those three are Rule V eligible and need to be added anyways.
'19: Thaiss and Canning, and I think Adell has a shot, especially if Kole struggles or anything happens to Trout/Upton. Jones and Marsh could sneak in with big years too, or in '20.

For those same reasons, I would be open to the Angels selling off a major piece if they were absolutely massively overwhelmed in an offer for Skaggs, Heaney, or even Simmons. You could plug some serious additional prospect depth into that window. But I'm happy with the current stock. We just need health, and for some of these prospects to pan out. 

if the Angels can spin two RPs into a MLB-ready SP**, and one or two RPs into an additional IF/corner outfield prospect, they're in great shape. 

**Ideally, health finally evens out, and we have a ridiculously stacked pitching staff next season, offering plenty of pen options and maybe even a surplus arm or two to move for offensive help. Rotation could include: Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Canning, Suarez, RP trade return, F. Pena, L. Pena, Castillo, Bridwell, Almonte, Gatto, McGuire and that's just who will be in-house. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yup - the Angels could fit into that grouping too. You can plug several prospects into the MLB roster...
'18: Fletcher and Herm already, and I think Suarez and Ward will appear before end of the year, Rengifo as well, as those three are Rule V eligible and need to be added anyways.
'19: Thaiss and Canning, and I think Adell has a shot, especially if Kole struggles or anything happens to Trout/Upton. Jones and Marsh could sneak in with big years too, or in '20.

For those same reasons, I would be open to the Angels selling off a major piece if they were absolutely massively overwhelmed in an offer for Skaggs, Heaney, or even Simmons. You could plug some serious additional prospect depth into that window. But I'm happy with the current stock. We just need health, and for some of these prospects to pan out. 

I think they need promote Rengifo soon.  While Calhoun has had a solid month, I don't think he's a long term lead off option and they need someone to get on in front of Trout.  Hopefully, they trade Kinsler to facilitate that opportunity.  So far, between three levels, Rengifo has put up .315 .420 .902 OPS 55 BB 46 K 37/10 SB.  If he can translate that to, say .280 .360 .800 OPS at the MLB level AND play solid 2B, that would be huge because that would solve two of our biggest holes - 2B and lead-off.  I think they also need to promote and give him a 2 month audition at 3B.  The power numbers will obviously go down, and he will still struggle a bit at 3B defense, but he will provide plate discipline and extra base power from a position that has had neither this season.

I wish Eppler would make these moves yesterday... 

I agree, @mulwin444, I'd like to see Rengifo get some decent playing time before the year is out. Not some start once-a-week in mid September with occasional PR duty jazz. Sandwich him between Calhoun and Trout and see what happens, and let Fletcher pick up some 3B time. 

Kinsler seems like the perfect pick-up for the Red Sox. He'd bring the energy they're lacking with Pedroia out, and would be a massive improvement defensively over Nunez, certainly no worse offensively. Try and pluck Jesus Castillo 2.0 from them, or a relief prospect with options to boot Paredes from the depth chart. Brewers could have interest, as could the Rockies. 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, the infielders are a disaster this year.  Moustakas and Hosmer both were suspect options last season and SD really screwed the pooch on that 8 year deal...wow.

J.D. Martinez was always going to be a Red Sox, is was just a matter of them working out a contract.  Cain would have been a solid option but, in comparing Upton and Cain, they had similar seasons last year (Cain 4.8 WAR, Upton 5.7 WAR) but Upton was almost two years younger.  Obviously, Upton has struggled to match last seasons but both are capable of 4 to 5 WAR year in, year out.

All the starting pitching favorites have struggled in one form or another and, holy shit, what happened to Tyler Chatwood?!  I know there were people on the board who wanted him but, with his BB/9 and WHIP, I could never understand why.  Now, his control has completely left him.  Bullpen results are scary as well.

No easy fixes through free agency.

If the Angels don't sign Upton to a new contract but let him walk there was no assurance they could sign Cain...so Upton was the safer choice to make sure the Angels finally had a legit LF in 2018 and forward. 

As totdprods list shows - signing FA's is a crapshoot...and Kinsler, Valbuena and Cozart prove that.

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

if the Angels can spin two RPs into a MLB-ready SP**, and one or two RPs into an additional IF/corner outfield prospect, they're in great shape. 

**Ideally, health finally evens out, and we have a ridiculously stacked pitching staff next season, offering plenty of pen options and maybe even a surplus arm or two to move for offensive help. Rotation could include: Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Canning, Suarez, RP trade return, F. Pena, L. Pena, Castillo, Bridwell, Almonte, Gatto, McGuire and that's just who will be in-house. 

I don't know...I'm not sure how I feel about trading Skaggs or Heaney.  We've been waiting for these guys to get healthy and realize their potential and they are starting to do that...Skaggs especially.  While their value on the market will never be higher, we are veering into trading almost "sure things" for question marks.   Skaggs and Heaney both just turned 27, they are both Leftanded starters, and both are cheap...with the way the Angels have been struggling with health in regards to their pitching, these guys are going to be needed with an eye towards competing in 2019.

As for the other guys: 

Ohtani - don't know if he'll even be able to pitch in 2019

Barria - Solid middle to back end starter but innings will still likely be monitored

Shoemaker - Injury prone and likely headed for the BP

Tropeano - I think he's your 4 starter but the shoulder inflammation is troubling enough to make sure you a replacement available

Canning - I'm sure the struggles at AAA are just a blip and I'm more concerned about his health and stamina at this point.  How far will he be allowed to go in 2019?

Suarez - Same as Canning.  Between Canning, Suarez, and Barria, you are going to have a 50%-60% of you rotation on some type of innings/pitch restriction.

We are definitely going to need to have a six man rotation again next season, with or without Ohtani, and think they are going to need both Skaggs and Heaney for pitching predictability. 

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Comedy show that Valbuena and Marte are up and not Ward or Rengifo

I wonder if Scioscia has a hand in that? Sounds like his type of move. Completely illogical, etc

I don't know if Valbuena and Marte are still here because of Scioscia but I do know if they were gone he couldn't play them. Those two offer nothing offensively or defensively, should be gone

@mulwin444 no disagreements with any of that. As I said, it'd have to be overwhelming for me to move either of them, but the market is so ripe for a team to overpay for either it's worth keeping it on the table. And it has to make sense in a bigger picture too. Let's say 1) the Angels actually do wrench away a lefty like Kolby Allard or Max Fried from Atlanta for Bedrosian and say Anderson, you've immediately got two LHP SPs with that return and Suarez to work into the 2019 rotation, and it's unlikely they'd roll with 3-4 lefties, even if they're shuttling guys around. 

If you were then able to flip 2) Heaney into a Hiura/Erceg and Phillips/Santana, or to the Yankees for Domingo Acevedo and one of Frazier, Wade, or Austin  - or straight up Miguel Andujar (they can pursue Manny, Dozier, Donaldson, Moose) - you're adding some significant position player talent to a field of internal prospects you can either use to fill out depth or cascade off into other deals. They'd have enough between those new prospects and what we have to go 3) land another SP still, maybe someone a step lower on the scale like Urena, Junis, Gausman for say Suarez, Ward, and lower-tier guys. It would be a dramatic change and take a lot of moving parts, but we may be at that point in the org. Eppler's going into his last year, so he may deviate and change things up. 

And they still have the potential to 4) chase Corbin or Keuchel (eh), or explore stop-gap arms like Gio (3.94 EA), Sabathia (3.51 ERA), Hellickson (3.29 ERA), Matt Harvey (4.50 ERA with CIN), Happ (4.18), Holland (4.06), Ross (4.29), Pomeranz, or Ryu. Eovaldi is interesting too, and has some NYY background that Eppler may be familiar with. 

SP: Ohtani, Skaggs (#1) Fried/Allard, (#3) Urena/Junis/Gausman, a FA SP (#4) let's say Hellickson, Eovaldi, or Sabathia, with Shoemaker, Canning, and Tropeano for depth
RP: Parker, a FA RP or two, Robles, Meyer? Alvarez, Cole, and remaining SP as depth
Catcher: Hopefully a Maldonado extension
1B: Pujols/Thaiss
2B: Hiura/Rengifo/Cozart/Fletcher/JMF
SS: Simmons
3B: Cozart/Fletcher/JMF
LF: Upton/Santana/Herm
CF: Trout/Herm
RF: Calhoun/Santana/Herm (with Adell not far behind)

It's a good blend of relying on prospects, a needed dip into FA for rotation stability and RP help, and adding some talent via trade without gutting the farm. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

FA acquisitions throughout MLB seemingly had a better success rate in the past.   Has something contributed to the decrease in that % recently?     

49 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I don't know if Valbuena and Marte are still here because of Scioscia but I do know if they were gone he couldn't play them. Those two offer nothing offensively or defensively, should be gone

Personally, I see Scioscia contributing somewhat to the stale state of the position player roster.   A fresh approach is needed in 2019, but thanking Scioscia for his 19 years and for indirectly forcing Dip*ssy to quit.  

I was a big advocate last winter for signing Arrieta. Still feel he would have added greatly to us, both in his contributions on the mound and as a mentor to the younger arms.

all this, of course, before his inevitable TJ surgery in August.