• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: 2018 Angelswin.com Trade Deadline Series: Potential Trade Assets

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If Parker can bring back a top 150 prospect, that's a no-brainer. But I'm not sure he's quite that valuable.

I trust Eppler’s ability to find a skillset and then figure out how to develop it into a useful prospect, like he did with Jesus Castillo and Rengifo.  

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

If Parker can bring back a top 150 prospect, that's a no-brainer. But I'm not sure he's quite that valuable.

Perhaps AJ. When I was thinking about that I was considering his actual likely arbitration costs based on his current salary leading into his final two years of arbitration control at his current performance level.

I really felt that a team in contention would be willing to give up a Jahmai Jones type or something a little less which would be Top 150. I didn't have a lot of time to really dig deep into how many relievers are on the market (saturation) to have a better understanding of what is really available in the market which will also be a factor in a potential Parker asking price.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I trust Eppler’s ability to find a skillset and then figure out how to develop it into a useful prospect, like he did with Jesus Castillo and Rengifo.  

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Perhaps AJ. When I was thinking about that I was considering his actual likely arbitration costs based on his current salary leading into his final two years of arbitration control at his current performance level.

I really felt that a team in contention would be willing to give up a Jahmai Jones type or something a little less which would be Top 150. I didn't have a lot of time to really dig deep into how many relievers are on the market (saturation) to have a better understanding of what is really available in the market which will also be a factor in a potential Parker asking price.

Yeah, I can see that, although maybe a bit south of Jones, who is probably somewhere around #100. I think Stradling has it right - that Eppler could find someone that could turn into a top 100 prospect (like Rengifo), but is under-regarded or there's some kind of question about him. Or it could be a high-ceiling, low-floor type in the minor leagues, like Jose Soriano.

Example of a Blake Parker trade: RHP Blake Parker to the Giants in exchange for LHP Garrett Williams and OF Alexander Canario.

Even though Williams is currently a starter his destiny probably lies in the bullpen as a high leverage reliever. Canario has some nice above average tools, a la Calhoun, and he would be a long term piece that could be a part of the 2021+ team.

Alternatively the Angels could trade with the Braves for instance and base the deal around 3B Austin Riley + ????? for example.

I would point out also if you are looking for a rough comparable to Blake Parker in terms of market value, Raisel Iglesias is actually performing very similarly to Parker (just a touch worse in terms of peripherals but almost the same). Iglesias will actually cost an acquiring team more money over the next two years (although he has one more extra year of arbitration control in 2021 but that salary year will be approximately $10M or so in all likelihood which adds only some marginal value to him in a trade).

Basically Parker in terms of performance, salary, and years of control should net just slightly less than Iglesias will. The only thing that will depress both Blake's and Raisel's market is the fact that there are potentially over a dozen other relievers on non-playoff bound teams that could potentially be traded that are performing better than the both of them, although certainly not all of those guys will be moved.

Parker is being a bit undervalued on the board. He's been very solid this year, just had a rough start, and has proven to be pretty effective in high leverage situations. 

The Angels are in a really good spot with Parker, Alvarez, Bedrosian, and Anderson. Robles too may be in the mix with the way he's pitching.

Teams sniffing around on the 'big names' like Britton, Barraclough, Iglesias are going find the prices quite high, especially after Hand and Cimber netted Mejia, and the Angels quartet is in that sweet spot of being controllable, affordable, fairly under-the-radar, and honestly pretty productive, especially if they're going somewhere to be the 7th inning option in a contender's deep pen.

The Angels can hold firm on pretty high asking prices, as they're controllable and useful for the Angels next year, but a team may bite on that price rather than pay the premium on the bigger names following the Mejia precedent. 

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

....Teams sniffing around on the 'big names' like Britton, Barraclough, Iglesias are going find the prices quite high, especially after Hand and Cimber netted Mejia, and the Angels quartet is in that sweet spot of being controllable, affordable, fairly under-the-radar, and honestly pretty productive, especially if they're going somewhere to be the 7th inning option in a contender's deep pen.

I think that is where a deal might get done....a contending team that doesn't like the cost on the bigger name guys....

59 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think that is where a deal might get done....a contending team that doesn't like the cost on the bigger name guys....

The Braves and Phillies have insane SP prospect depth. Atlanta literally has four rotations' worth across the big-league team down through the minors that are probably better than anyone in our minor league system not named Canning and maybe Suarez.

The Brewers just lost Suter and their rotation is at the breaking point. They have a decent farm but won't want to mortgage their future on a rental or give up too much for an ace. They are another instance where the Angels could float Heaney or Skaggs in front of them as they have control, and see if the Brewers offer up any of the Villar, Phillips, Santana, Hiura, Erceg group, especially if the Angels are high on Suarez as a LHP SP in the '19 rotation or have their eyes on Corbin.

18 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I’m not a Blake Parker fan ... his delivery drives me bananas, good-bye

Kinsler will get traded ... Maldonado/Alvarez  won’t get traded imo

I guess, like any trade, it comes down to value ... deadline trades should be a overpay or don’t trade!

It is almost unwatchable for me.

Forget performance, as a spectator hoping to be entertained, he has visually worn out his welcome.

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

He does much better with this and building a farm, than with stop gap veteran acquisitions.

Is that a general issue throughout MLB, GM's having difficulty finding the right stop gap veteran guys?

Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 59s59 seconds ago
In preliminary #RedSox-#Marlins trade talks, source says Miami indicated that Michael Chavis or Jay Groome alone would not be sufficient to acquire setup man Drew Steckenrider. That is one snapshot of the market value for controllable relievers. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Bedrosian, Anderson, Alvarez, and Parker, even Noe and Robles, should definitely be shopped. 

For context...
Steckenrider (27, RHP, controlled through '23): 
2018: 3.48 ERA, 2.93 FIP, 1.30 WHIP, 108 ERA+, 0.2 WAR, 44 IP, 37 H, 2 HR, 20 BB, 51 K
Career: 2.97 ERA, 3.01 FIP, 1.33 WHIP, 130 ERA+, 0.8 WAR, 78.2 IP, 67 H, 6 HR, 38 BB, 105 K (7.7 H9, 0.7 HR9, 4.3 BB9, 12 K9)

Chavis is the #85 prospect (BA), #79 (MLB), a 22 year old 3B 1st rounder in AA with a career minor league slash of .251/.318/.456/.774
Groome is the #83 prospect (BA), #85 (MLB), #78 (BP), an 18 year old LHP SP 1st rounder in A Ball, with a career 5.37 ERA in 17 GS, 62 IP, (52 H, 34 BB, 82 K)
They're #1 and #2 on MLB's Red Sox Top 30 Prospects List.

Bedrosian is 26, RHP, controlled through '21:
'16-'18: 3.15 ERA, 3.28 FIP, 1.29 WHIP, 132 ERA+, 1.4 WAR, 128.2 IP, 116 H, 11 HR, 50 BB, 143 K (8.1 H9, 0.8 HR9, 3.5 BB9, 10 K9)

Another example might be a trade with the Cardinals where the Angels send one of Blake Parker or Martin Maldonado or even both.

Here Eppler might ask for one or more of some combination of UTIL Greg Garcia, 2B Max Schrock, RHP Dakota Hudson, RHP Ryan Helsley or C Andrew Knizner.

I could see a Maldonado for Garcia swap for instance. Maybe a Parker for Schrock and Knizner deal. Or perhaps Parker and Maldonado for Schrock, Hudson, and Knizner....

Cardinals are probably a heavily invested team in this 2018 season. There farm system is not as good as it once and they need to press if they want to win it this year so they need help.

By trading with the Astros, a Division rival, the Angels were able to extract a higher quality prospect out of the Astros. Patrick Sandoval has a reasonably high ceiling so I am happy with the return for Martin. Best of luck to Machete I liked him a lot, good man.