42 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest positional need?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offensive depth, players that extend the line up.  

If you go back to the Ianetta days, the Angels were giving up around 100 steals a years. Every time a runner got on first late in a close game you just knew he would end up at second. It was infuriati

My point is if Adell reaches his potential, which might be a guy like George Springer, I’m not trading him for a 27 year old catcher.   We all know catchers get old fast.   The difference between Mald

Posted Images

I wish there were multiple options. 3rds been an issue since Figgy. But if I had to rank it. For me it would be 3rd, Catcher, Bullpen, 1st we desperately need a 1st baseman who can mash, 2nd, RF it seems Calhoun may have figured it out, SP it seems like we have plenty of in house candidates and this year they haven’t pitched too bad. 

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I wish there were multiple options. 3rds been an issue since Figgy. But if I had to rank it. For me it would be 3rd, Catcher, Bullpen, 1st we desperately need a 1st baseman who can mash, 2nd, RF it seems Calhoun may have figured it out, SP it seems like we have plenty of in house candidates and this year they haven’t pitched too bad. 

The reason I did not include multiple options in the poll is because I do not believe, realistically, that the Angels could sign both Machado and Harper, for example. Only one.

3 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

The reason I did not include multiple options in the poll is because I do not believe, realistically, that the Angels could sign both Machado and Harper, for example. Only one.

See I don’t think Harper and Machado are the only options or realistic options. Should be an interesting offseason though. 

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

3rd base and catcher. 2B can be covered internally hopefully with Rengifo. 

Maldonado isn't more than a backup...a team with as much money to spend as the Angels will have can do better than a 75 OPS+ out of the starting catcher position I feel like.

I think for 2B/3B, there should be a competition between Fletcher, Ward, and Rengifo. Audition them in 2018.

Cozart has to earn a starting spot next year in spring training.

Definitely agree on Maldonado. Would like to see more of Briceno, he has hit well with the Angels.

1 hour ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I think for 2B/3B, there should be a competition between Fletcher, Ward, and Rengifo. Audition them in 2018.

Cozart has to earn a starting spot next year in spring training.

Definitely agree on Maldonado. Would like to see more of Briceno, he has hit well with the Angels.

Plus Fernandez

18 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

My focus on the thread was positional and not a specific type of player (lead off, power hitter, utility, etc.)

I think Simmons and Fletcher could both be capable lead off hitters. 

Did you have somebody else in mind? Free agent? Trade?

I was being a bit of a smart ass, haha. 

That said, I don't think Simmons or Fletcher are the solution...Simmons only has a .710 OPS in 36 games as an Angel hitting 1st/2nd and I think he's mentioned he doesn't feel comfortable hitting there. I've been touting Fletcher for a couple years, but he's going to have stretches where his shortcomings kill him and I don't think he'll be consistent enough. He'd be great as a #9 hitter - when he's hot, he will serve that as that 2nd leadoff hitter type by hitting ninth, or can be moved into #2 as needed. 

I actually think Simmons is best suited hitting immediately behind or a spot behind Pujols, and breaking the line-up into 'groups'. 

#1: high OBP, high speed - doesn't matter if it comes via walk or hits, just need someone on-base above .340 clip at a minimum. 
#2: Trout - keep doing what he do
#3: Upton - obviously has struggled with RISP this year, but I think ultimately it'll balance out or be a fluke. 
#4: Pujols - I actually think he's perfect in clean-up if the top three are doing their job. Bert continues to hit very well situationally - he is all or nothing. He will drive in the runs, or he will be the 3rd out. The likelihood of the trio before counts on him here, but we've failed to have two of those hitters present this year.  

#5 Ohtani - I view him as a second lead-off hitter mid-lineup, or as a back-up clean-up hitter for when Pujols fails to bring them home. If the line-up is clicking, Bert and Ohtani could swap.
#6 Simmons - His contact skills enables Ohtani ample opportunity to get 1st-3rd or all the way home on Simmons many doubles. 
#7 Cozart - Sort of another boom or bust/Pujols option. He'll either pop a double or home run or likely end the inning. 
#8 Maldonado - Another version of the Pujols boom or bust - but like Albert, is excelling in RISP - maybe this continues, maybe it's an anti-Upton fluke. Either way, he's a clean-up hitter for the second portion of the line-up

#9 Fletcher - high contact, low BB, high speed - BABip will kill him at times, make him a hero at others. 
#1 ????
#2 Trout