Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Without Pujols


stormngt

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I wonder what Pujols' take on all the negative press he receives. He must know that most of the fans would be elated if he would just retire at seasons end.  Take one for the team Albert.

How much real negative press does he get.  Outside of the internet message boards I dont see too much negative press.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

How much real negative press does he get.  Outside of the internet message boards I dont see too much negative press.

I've seen a lot with stories like last year Pujols was the worst player in baseball according to WAR. I have read several articles about how poorly he has been since joining the Angels. I can't remember specific articles but they have been out there. I just googled some:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

https://www.billjamesonline.com/should_the_angels_release_albert_pujols/

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/215966474/albert-pujols-decline-angels-cardinals

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-angels-have-an-albert-pujols-problem-heading-into-the-2018-season/

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/9/21/16344748/albert-pujols-2017-contract

....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I've seen a lot with stories like last year Pujols was the worst player in baseball according to WAR. I have read several articles about how poorly he has been since joining the Angels. I can't remember specific articles but they have been out there. I just googled some:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

https://www.billjamesonline.com/should_the_angels_release_albert_pujols/

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/215966474/albert-pujols-decline-angels-cardinals

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-angels-have-an-albert-pujols-problem-heading-into-the-2018-season/

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/9/21/16344748/albert-pujols-2017-contract

....

Outside of cbs and sport nation I wouldnt call exactly mainstream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Outside of cbs and sport nation I wouldnt call exactly mainstream.

Using numbers a case can be made that Albert is a liability.  But the fact is that, with the team as currently constructed (in part because of his presence), the Angels are not the same without him.  In key moments of the game he might be the best player to have up.  When your playing really good teams those moments have to go your way or you’ll lose.  A key hit or two (and Albert being able to catch pickoff throws) and the Angels are 2-1 in this series and looking to go 5-2 in the next seven to stay on the fringe of contention.  Now they need to go at least 6-1, a much harder proposition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Using numbers a case can be made that Albert is a liability.  But the fact is that, with the team as currently constructed (in part because of his presence), the Angels are not the same without him.  In key moments of the game he might be the best player to have up.  When your playing really good teams those moments have to go your way or you’ll lose.  A key hit or two (and Albert being able to catch pickoff throws) and the Angels are 2-1 in this series and looking to go 5-2 in the next seven to stay on the fringe of contention.  Now they need to go at least 6-1, a much harder proposition.

Although we could replace him easily with the $27M he would free up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The only time we got to see "The Machine" in an Angel's uniform was from June to August 2012. Since then, sightings have been about are rare as the Loch Ness Monster. However, he did have a +.900 OPS last month. He had previously only accomplished that feat twice since August 2012.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would his hitting improve in 2019 and 2020, if he became a 120 games max per season guy?   Then he isn't wearing down so much later on in the season?  

Notice that I didn't say 2021, as I can't see him playing by then (only $30 million still owed him for 2021).     

Admittedly, it is a big and pleasant surprise to see the .900+ OPS for July.   That's been too far and few in between.   Maybe the five days missed plus the ASB kept him fresh enough to sport that .900+ OPS?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

out of 25 qualified 1B, Pujols is currently 13th per WAR.  Including non qualified he is 19th out of 40. 
Im not going ot argue WAR we all know it isnt perfect, but it is the defacto standard so... 
He is ahead of guys like Anthony Rizzo, Jose Abreu, Carlos Santana, and Miguel Cabrera and in the same range as guys like Gurriel, Alonzo, and Moreland.  Plus hes playing a much improved defensive role this year.
If you take the contract out of it, hes doesnt suck.  Yes, hes over payed, but hes right in the middle of the pack according to measurable stats.  
We could maybe stop blaming him for the teams issues, hes not one of them aside from the contract.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...