• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I Feel Like Next Year Will Be Better

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

How is the jury out on Kinsler but Cozart is “bad” ?

Cozart disappointed and then got hurt.  Still way to early to declare it bad.  I think he’s useful as a super utility guy.  Even if his numbers don’t approach what we saw last year.  I expect that they won’t.  But .250 with decent OBP and some pop don’t seem beyond possible. 

The Angels will be better when they are.  Everyone got excited about this year because of Ohtani and also because it seemed that a path to the wild card would be there.  No one reasonable really thought they’d compete with Houston for the division.  It would have required a tremendously disappointing effort from Houston that was always unlikely.  The issue here is that Seattle has won a lot of games.  That’s the way the cookie crumbles. 

Cozart has disappointed, Ohtani can’t pitch.  And we all thought he’d be our 2 or ace.  I recall people being pumped about Kinsler and thinking Pujols would have some bounce back year.  Both pretty unreasonable expectations.  Calhoun was the worst hitter in the league for 2 and half months.  The non stop torrent of injuries.  The bullpen issues that are tied to the starters not going deep into games.  All these things have conspired to make us less good then fans optimistically hoped. 

As I mentioned above, the Cozart deal isn’t a guaranteed failure yet.  The Angels just have several areas that are bad that need to be addressed before we can consistently be competitive with the good teams in the league.  

Kinsler has been a better fielder & shown more pop with his bat. Also he is doing this from middle infield not at a corner position where you need better offensive numbers. I also like Kinsler's moxy.

3 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Kinsler has been a better fielder & shown more pop with his bat. Also he is doing this from middle infield not at a corner position where you need better offensive numbers. I also like Kinsler's moxy.

I don’t have any comment on “moxy” but I think the D compairison is flawed.  We asked Zack Cozart to play 3B, SS, and I believe 2B for us this season.  Mostly he played relatively well.  Particularly considering that he was new to 3B.  Cozart is defensively more versatile then Kinsler.  Defensively he’s an excellent SS.  I think he’d end up being a strong defensive 2B also. Not taking anything away from the good glovework that Kinsler brings to 2b.  As far as the bat goes, they were nearly identical.  Cozart actually has a slightly higher OPS.  At this point Kinsler has had about 100 more AB’s. 

So, I’m sort of left thinking you like Kinsler more because of his “moxy” which isn’t really a measurable thing. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I think next year's success will be dependent on three key things:

1. Pitching health.

2. Finding a reliable closer.

3. Cold Kole Calhoun

I'm not worried about the offense, the starting pitching, or the middle relief and set-up men. Our biggest need is a closer.

In 2019, we need our talented pitchers to stay healthy and we need Kole to be the Kole we all fell in love with.

I guess we don’t need a 1b, 2b, or 3b.  Potentially a RF.  

No big deal. 

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Kinsler the last 20 games .234/.272/.286/.557. His season totals .220/.280/.367/.647

He has been shit.

But... Moxy.

3 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

1B: Pujols/Thaiss/Fernandez

2B: Cozart/Fletcher

3B: Cozart/Fletcher/Ward

RF: Calhoun

I'm ok with that for next year, we need to save money for the Trout extension.

No risky free agents for big $$$ long term.

Closer should be the focus this off-season.

Then don’t expect much next year.

6 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

1B: Pujols/Thaiss/Fernandez

2B: Cozart/Fletcher

3B: Cozart/Fletcher/Ward

RF: Calhoun

I'm ok with that for next year, we need to save money for the Trout extension.

No risky free agents for big $$$ long term.

Closer should be the focus this off-season.

Don’t go to sleep on Rengifo.  His OBP and SBs could be just the leadoff man this lineup sorely needs, and hasn’t had since Figgy.

50 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t have any comment on “moxy” but I think the D compairison is flawed.  We asked Zach Cozart to play 3B, SS, and I believe 2B for us this season.  Mostly he played relatively well.  Particularly considering that he was new to 3B.  Cozart is defensively more versatile then Kinsler.  Defensively he’s an excellent SS.  I think he’d end up being a strong defensive 2B also. Not taking anything away from the good glovework that Kinsler brings to 2b.  As far as the bat goes, they were nearly identical.  Cozart actually has a slightly higher OPS.  At this point Kinsler has had about 100 more AB’s. 

So, I’m sort of left thinking you like Kinsler more because of his “moxy” which isn’t really a measurable thing. 

I guess I just do not care that much about position flexibility when they suck at all positions. I was thinking more of Marte as I type this.... but Cozart did not impress me at 3B.... I believe he is rated as one of the worst this year at 3B? I don't care about Cozart at SS because we have Simmons. As far as Kinsler he has been a stud on defense this year at 2B. 

If Cozart had not gotten hurt.... which also negates some of his value while we are comparing players..... if Cozart had not been injured i think he would have finished up the year with about 13 HR's.... while I think Kinsler is on pace for around 20 HR's..... 83 games played & 11 HR's. Also Kinsler has stolen 8 bases and provides speed on the basepaths. Cozart finished the year with 0 stolen bases

So in summation Kinsler was healthier this year, played much better D, more speed on the basepaths, and hits more HR's. And while as it stands now Kinsler is only barely above Cozart in BA.... I am thinking by the end of the year that Kinsler's average will be around .235. Don't get me wrong Kinsler has been crap. But I think Cozart so far has been diarrhea crap.

Oh and there is that moxie thing too.

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Kinsler the last 20 games .234/.272/.286/.557. His season totals .220/.280/.367/.647

He has been shit.

But... Moxy.

Have I ever said Kinsler has been good? 

The funny thing moxie is very important in winning games. Having guys in the clubhouse who are fiery, passionate and want to win is huge in the chemistry and makeup of a team.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whether next year is better or not all depends on the offseason. Ive defended being frugal the last few years, because the situation we were in the last few years, because it was so badly unique.

Now, we have a lot of bad money coming off or already off the books. A farm that gives hope. 

That doesnt mean we should or need to go after one of the big names this winter, but we need to stop signing bandaids, or else we will still be a mediocre team

There should be a thing that counts as ten likes.   I agree 100%

Looks to me that they’ll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 million potentially coming off the books.  Skaggs and Heaney will probably get pretty substantial arbitration increases.  Let’s say up to 3 million more each.  That’s just my ball park guess and being generous about it.  I doubt Shoemaker or JC Ramirez will get significant increases.  Parker is due a decent raise if we keep him around.   Pitched fairly well.  Anyway, let’s say we do keep the arbitration guys around.  We’ll probably have 22 -24 million freed up to deal with either finding new players or retaining existing ones.   2b, and catcher, as well as potentially a SP stand out as pontential need areas.  RF & 3B also potential upgrade targets.  Of course back end bullpen help potentially.  Though a bunch of our bullpen guys are controlled.  I think only Jim Johnson is for sure out.

obviouslly all those wont be filled externally.  But with the big FA class it could be a fun winter for us.  Especially if Arte is willing to increase payroll in these last 2 “Trout window” years. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I guess I just do not care that much about position flexibility when they suck at all positions. I was thinking more of Marte as I type this.... but Cozart did not impress me at 3B.... I believe he is rated as one of the worst this year at 3B? I don't care about Cozart at SS because we have Simmons. As far as Kinsler he has been a stud on defense this year at 2B. 

If Cozart had not gotten hurt.... which also negates some of his value while we are comparing players..... if Cozart had not been injured i think he would have finished up the year with about 13 HR's.... while I think Kinsler is on pace for around 20 HR's..... 83 games played & 11 HR's. Also Kinsler has stolen 8 bases and provides speed on the basepaths. Cozart finished the year with 0 stolen bases

So in summation Kinsler was healthier this year, played much better D, more speed on the basepaths, and hits more HR's. And while as it stands now Kinsler is only barely above Cozart in BA.... I am thinking by the end of the year that Kinsler's average will be around .235. Don't get me wrong Kinsler has been crap. But I think Cozart so far has been diarrhea crap.

Oh and there is that moxie thing too.

But you definitely should.  Look how the Cubs used Zobrist, the Astros Gonzalez.  These types of players are important.  Cozart isn’t this bad with the bat, and he is a good defensive player.  If they cycle him between 3B, SS, and 2B that’s very useful. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I also think a bunch of you are way too committed to guys like David Fletcher and Taylor Ward.  Ward hasn’t even had a major league AB and we’re ready to turn over 3B to him.  Fletcher seems like a nice bench player.  Maybe he’s more then that but I want to see more then a .624 OPS before we start passing on opportunities to get good major league players. 

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

But you definitely should.  Look how the Cubs used Zobrist, the Astros Gonzalez.  These types of players are important.  Cozart isn’t this bad with the bat, and he is a good defensive player.  If they cycle him between 3B, SS, and 2B that’s very useful. 

Yes he is. His career numbers back it up.

Super utility guys need to hit to justify the roster spot. Cowart can play the infield just as well if not better, but his lack of bat so far has kept him where he is.

With the playing time Cozart has had, I'd venture to say he (Cowart) would be just as valuable at a lot less money.

18 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Yes he is. His career numbers back it up.

Cozart has alternated between good and bad.  Last year wasn’t entirely a fluke, he’s had solid seasons other then last year. This year he comped with his poorer years.  I think there is reasonable potential for improvement.  He’s older but not that old. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

There should be a thing that counts as ten likes.   I agree 100%

Thank you kind sir.

Looking to this winter, youre the GM...any moves you make with regards to FA? Trade proposals are kind of silly on here ... we can make them all day long, but theyre not based on anything other than us seeing someone who would be a good fit, then we all argue for 5 pages about who we would trade for him...and none of it being proposed by the actual teams in the first place.

Im gonna catch crap for this...but I still say we should blow harper away. I think we should offer him stupid money up front with an opt out in 2 years. He gets to try for a huge contract again when hes 28, we get a draft pick for losing him, and he rolls off the books right when trout is due for his new contract.

Also, I could be dead wrong, but I think we can stop worrying about saving money for trout....hes already the highest paid player. His next deal I doubt is anything wild in terms of money per year. More so the length. So lets say his next contract, we give him 10 years, 400 million. Richest baseball contract in history. Keeping that number simple, he would only be getting a 6 mill a year raise from what were paying now...nothing that will break our bank.

Pujols' money will be gone around the same time, too.

So maybe harper isnt the answer, and a bad idea. But qgain, if we decide to not sign anyone real again this winter....we will still be a mediocre team again.

I like Harper and would be thrilled to pull him down.  Machado makes a little more sense if we could get him to play 3B.  Just because our best prospects are OF.

still, I wouldn’t count on pursuing or landing either.  Not completely out of the question tho !

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I like Harper and would be thrilled to pull him down.  Machado makes a little more sense if we could get him to play 3B.  Just because our best prospects are OF.

still, I wouldn’t count on pursuing or landing either.  Not completely out of the question tho !

I thought about that, too (machado). Him at 3B would be huge. But...as much as I like him, the reason I would lean towards Harper is Machado is going to cash in this winter. 

Harper is unique (IMO). Its his FA year, but hes having a not bryce Harper year. I think he would be more willing to do a short deal to try and bring his hype back up, and bail in 2 years. In fact I wont be surprised at all if he signs a similar deal to stay with the Nats to do just that.

The other idea is to hold off and wait for Arenado. The problem with that (off the top off my head) is who knows if he wants to play here, whos ready to outbid for him (or stay a rock), and last but not least....its another year of trout playing alone.

If trout leaves it wont be for the money. I think we really need to start showing him good times as an Angel. Another year like this and he may end up making his mind before we even get to his FA year.

I think hed be pumped if we got Harper. And I think Harper hitting behind Trout would appeal enough to Harper for him to consider coming here on a short deal. 

3 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

No Sh.. Sherlock. Either your IQ is real low or you surround yourself all day talking to a bunch of idiots..... I am guessing the latter.

Question? Are you trying to say that since it was in 2017 that Eppler gets a pass for that?

lol someone needs an unbundling of their panties today. I spend my time reading your idiotic posts so, yeah, you can say I talk to idiots all day. 

btw . . . 

On July 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Griffey's Corner said:

Just wanted to say a quick Thank You... & how proud I am of the Angels members that this was the 1st post I have been involved in where everyone got along. No one was freaking out when I suggested that MLB hitters should use the whole field when they hit. Or a MLB hitter should know how to bunt. Or NL pitchers have a lower ERA because there is no DH. 

Good job everybody!!! Let's all keep it up. This is the world we should live in. 

you're obviously part of the problem, not the solution.

hypocrite.

45 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

When they can't field at any position that is not position flexibility.... again I am more picking on Marte. Also it allows the manager to keep screwing & tinkering with the lineup..... give me 9 solid guys on offense and let them play every day and develop a rhythm. I do not want guys bouncing all over the diamond playing out of position. Play one position and play it well.

Also I think Cozart is rated as one of the worst 3B in baseball this year on defense alone. 

We have to agree to disagree on Cozart's bat..... I think he sucks with the bat. I do not want Cozart cycled anywhere except for the bench. I am tired of these players barely hitting at the Mendoza line every year..... and to make matters worse some fans praise them. 

we have wasted so many of Mike Trout's best years. If we even had AVERAGE players fill in we would we doing great. We fix LF..... and as soon as we do RF becomes a problem. We do okay at 2B and than we have a problem at 1B. 

There is a good chance all of the prospects right now in Salt Lake will suck.... everyone is on Ward & Thaiss jock right now thinking they will be the answer to are prayers in 2019.......... I hope so. Odds are both will fail and we will be in the same place next year talking about 2020. Rinse & Repeat. I think something more dramatic needs to be done. Either blow the whole thing up OR spend some serious money in a smarter way and get some serious infusion of talent & youth in here. Take on some bad contracts to get 1 good player or take on some bad contracts to get some good prospects. Quit treading .500 water. Go to one extreme or the other..... both formulas have been proven to win titles.

If it was not for Trout the Angels would be one of the worst team in baseball every year..... that is bad considering that every year they are spending more than just about every team in baseball.

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol someone needs an unbundling of their panties today. I spend my time reading your idiotic posts so, yeah, you can say I talk to idiots all day. 

btw . . . 

you're obviously part of the problem, not the solution.

hypocrite.

i actually toned down the post quite a bit. My true opinion of you is much worse. What really would hurt your ego is not that you are a jerk..... but that when it comes to baseball you are truly clueless.