• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I Feel Like Next Year Will Be Better

But now I am starting to think maybe I am wrong about that? On the positive side I feel like help is on the way with Canning, and some of the younger players. But on the negative side everyone hits at Salt Lake, no Richards next year, Eppler keeps striking out with offensive acquisitions. The team is .500 now but honestly the way they are playing I don't think they will even finish this year at .500. 

Is Ohtani going to be a good hitter? Since the first 2-3 weeks he is probably hitting about .220 with 3 HR's. Can he hit MLB lefties?

Valbuena- Bad signing

Cozart- Bad signing

Kinsler- Bad Idea to I don't know.... he has been maybe okay?

Espinoza- Bad Idea

His track record on that side of things is very poor. Every year the team outspends the Athletics..... but here we are.

Mike Trout's 1st full season he hit .326 and stole 49 bases..... I want that Trout. He has never hit more than 41 HR's in a season. Maybe he never hits .340? Maybe he never hits 50 HR's a year like Griffey & Mantle, etc.

All the prospects that I am stoked about know one knows yet if any of them will amount to anything.

I still have confidence in Eppler. But this year has shaken it. The whole bullpen fiasco this winter.... I can see how some of it happened..... but still.

In reality the Offense sucks. And for next year we have massive holes in every area.... other than maybe average SP. We have one of the oldest rosters in baseball. Outside of Upton in LF. Trout in CF. Simmons at SS...... I see 6 holes in the Offense. Pujols will never go away. And Arte has made a crap load of money but he has proven he will spend a good amount... but never an obscene amount to fix a lot of the problems that he created.

We keep shedding bad contracts only to take on new bad contracts.

There is 3-4 components we look at. Offense= Sucks. BP= Sucks. SP= Below Average. Manager= a lot of people seem unhappy with him.

If we pay Trout $40,000,000 a year and get Pujols like playing in his 30's than we will be screwed for 10 years. In his 20's Pujols had one year where he hit .359 and still hit 43 HR's.

Are things getting worse?? Was I just kidding myself? F......!!!!!!

Things aren’t getting worse, it’s just a culmination of your frustration over the past 9 years. I don’t blame anyone for being tired of losing, I know I am. It sucks to be in this same position of mediocrity every year but the organizational depth is getting better so it’s not as hopeless as it used to be. Time for a shakeup in the dugout with a new manager and some younger players next year

How is the jury out on Kinsler but Cozart is “bad” ?

Cozart disappointed and then got hurt.  Still way to early to declare it bad.  I think he’s useful as a super utility guy.  Even if his numbers don’t approach what we saw last year.  I expect that they won’t.  But .250 with decent OBP and some pop don’t seem beyond possible. 

The Angels will be better when they are.  Everyone got excited about this year because of Ohtani and also because it seemed that a path to the wild card would be there.  No one reasonable really thought they’d compete with Houston for the division.  It would have required a tremendously disappointing effort from Houston that was always unlikely.  The issue here is that Seattle has won a lot of games.  That’s the way the cookie crumbles. 

Cozart has disappointed, Ohtani can’t pitch.  And we all thought he’d be our 2 or ace.  I recall people being pumped about Kinsler and thinking Pujols would have some bounce back year.  Both pretty unreasonable expectations.  Calhoun was the worst hitter in the league for 2 and half months.  The non stop torrent of injuries.  The bullpen issues that are tied to the starters not going deep into games.  All these things have conspired to make us less good then fans optimistically hoped. 

As I mentioned above, the Cozart deal isn’t a guaranteed failure yet.  The Angels just have several areas that are bad that need to be addressed before we can consistently be competitive with the good teams in the league.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

How is the jury out on Kinsler but Cozart is “bad” ?

Cozart disappointed and then got hurt.  Still way to early to declare it bad.  I think he’s useful as a super utility guy.  Even if his numbers don’t approach what we saw last year.  I expect that they won’t.  But .250 with decent OBP and some pop don’t seem beyond possible. 

The Angels will be better when they are.  Everyone got excited about this year because of Ohtani and also because it seemed that a path to the wild card would be there.  No one reasonable really thought they’d compete with Houston for the division.  It would have required a tremendously disappointing effort from Houston that was always unlikely.  The issue here is that Seattle has won a lot of games.  That’s the way the cookie crumbles. 

Cozart has disappointed, Ohtani can’t pitch.  And we all thought he’d be our 2 or ace.  I recall people being pumped about Kinsler and thinking Pujols would have some bounce back year.  Both pretty unreasonable expectations.  Calhoun was the worst hitter in the league for 2 and half months.  The non stop torrent of injuries.  The bullpen issues that are tied to the starters not going deep into games.  All these things have conspired to make us less good then fans optimistically hoped. 

As I mentioned above, the Cozart deal isn’t a guaranteed failure yet.  The Angels just have several areas that are bad that need to be addressed before we can consistently be competitive with the good teams in the league.  

It is a guaranteed failure in that he will be overpaid. He could still provide value but you don’t pay that money for a utility player that hits .250

25 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Angels are going to go all in on Josh Donaldson. Hes now 2 years removed from a good season and will be 33 so he is the perfect Arte candidate. My guess is around 8 yrs/$200M

My guess is you belong in the pessimistic thread.  If the Super Fans aren’t allowed to ruin that thread, you should probably go shit over there instead of in here.  Thanks.  

26 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Angels are going to go all in on Josh Donaldson. Hes now 2 years removed from a good season and will be 33 so he is the perfect Arte candidate. My guess is around 8 yrs/$200M

I can't believe how funny this was, another great post by the leader of the tinfoil hat brigade.You definitely missed your calling.

43 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It is a guaranteed failure in that he will be overpaid. He could still provide value but you don’t pay that money for a utility player that hits .250

I mean look around the league man.  Guys aren’t hitting for average.  We aren’t paying him that much.  When I say super utility I still mean that he’ll get into the line up almost every day. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Griffey's Corner said:

We keep shedding bad contracts only to take on new bad contracts.

This couldnt' be more true. Every year I'm constantly waiting to shed a bad contract, first it's Vernon Wells, then Arte replaces that bad contract with Hamilton's, then when I'm finally relieved that's over, he goes and signs Upton lol. So dumb.  

And then there's the Scioscia and Pujols contracts that I'm mercifully waiting to be over with. It feels like the only thing we have to look forward to every year is not winning, but which contract will finally be over with.

31 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean look around the league man.  Guys aren’t hitting for average.  We aren’t paying him that much.  When I say super utility I still mean that he’ll get into the line up almost every day. 

Asking people to have some perspective is asking a lot sometimes.   

Cozart put up a 83 OPS+ in 250 at bats.  Considering his career average (91), and that he's transitioning to the AL from the NL and a massive hitters' park, he's not that far off what you'd expect.  If people were expecting him to repeat his 2017, that's on them.   Defensively, he's not a 3B -- I get that it was done mostly because the Kinsler situation arose but, at this point it's a situation they are better off not repeating full time.   The problem, if we want to call it a problem... is that Ward took a massive step forward and Rengifo has been one hell of a surprise.   If both those guys end up stepping into MLB roles at 2B and 3B, then Cozart is essentially a 12M a year Macier Izturis.  Not the best usage of dollars but, if anyone was expecting Ward to hit .400 in AAA and Rengifo to make a three level jump -- by all means show us where/when you went on record with those insights.

2 years 25 mil is easier to move than the usual dead weight -- it's going to be interesting to watch if last years FA freeze continues or if we see the teams that sat it out last year to get under the cap jump back into the FA pool and we see another FA dollar "correction".

51 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Asking people to have some perspective is asking a lot sometimes.   

Cozart put up a 83 OPS+ in 250 at bats.  Considering his career average (91), and that he's transitioning to the AL from the NL and a massive hitters' park, he's not that far off what you'd expect.  If people were expecting him to repeat his 2017, that's on them.   Defensively, he's not a 3B -- I get that it was done mostly because the Kinsler situation arose but, at this point it's a situation they are better off not repeating full time.   The problem, if we want to call it a problem... is that Ward took a massive step forward and Rengifo has been one hell of a surprise.   If both those guys end up stepping into MLB roles at 2B and 3B, then Cozart is essentially a 12M a year Macier Izturis.  Not the best usage of dollars but, if anyone was expecting Ward to hit .400 in AAA and Rengifo to make a three level jump -- by all means show us where/when you went on record with those insights.

2 years 25 mil is easier to move than the usual dead weight -- it's going to be interesting to watch if last years FA freeze continues or if we see the teams that sat it out last year to get under the cap jump back into the FA pool and we see another FA dollar "correction".

I remember Eppler saying something to the effect that he thought Cozart's breakout in 2017 was legit. Cozart is to Eppler wha GMJr was to Stoneman. Not as big of a flop relative to money, and Cozart still has two years to redeem himself, but a similar miscalculation of talent.

But I agree with your general gist - that, at worst, Cozart is simply an overpaid super UT.

To start 2019 no six man rotation. Ohtani should be the closer and DH at least 5 games a week. The biggest impediment to winning is Pujols. Arte needs to step forward snd tell him to retire and move to the front office. First base needs to be an offensive position not a retirement home. 4 more years of Upton will be devastating unless he reverts back to his 2017 level. 

Wining requires several players having above average years. Who knows if that is possible with this group.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I remember Eppler saying something to the effect that he thought Cozart's breakout in 2017 was legit. Cozart is to Eppler wha GMJr was to Stoneman. Not as big of a flop relative to money, and Cozart still has two years to redeem himself, but a similar miscalculation of talent.

But I agree with your general gist - that, at worst, Cozart is simply an overpaid super UT.

I think the changes he made were real (spike in power, increase in walk rate), but expecting the same results as 2017 was optimistic at best.    But yeah, if he fails to be a league average bat (.248/.316.413), he'll end up as an overpriced super UT..

Whether next year is better or not all depends on the offseason. Ive defended being frugal the last few years, because the situation we were in the last few years, because it was so badly unique.

Now, we have a lot of bad money coming off or already off the books. A farm that gives hope. 

That doesnt mean we should or need to go after one of the big names this winter, but we need to stop signing bandaids, or else we will still be a mediocre team

My biggest issue with cozart is if you look at his career stats I think you can't even be slightly surprised by his performance this year. His OPS+ last season was 141 and his highest in any other full season was 92 out of 4 years. I think that's less of a break out year and more of an anomaly. Add to that he was 31 after that good year and it just looks like a below average signing. I still think he'll have value as an above average defensive player with some pop but if we get a chance to trade for anything you take it. Hopefully Eppler learns from this experience.

Now on to the positive, we have one of the best farm systems in baseball and I think overall the club is pointing up. There's no way injury problems can get worse and it's just a matter of time before one of these guys coming up turns into a star. We just need to be patient and hope these next 2 years with Trout we can at least make the playoffs both years and win some games.