• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The pessimistic thread

Glen

13 hours ago, calscuf said:

Business is slow.

I’ve been having erectile dysfunction.

Sometimes I think I’d be happier fat eating what I want, but then I see myself naked and I get sad.

My mom wants her boyfriend Gary to move in, and he’s only like 5 years older than me, and he has a Trans Am.

My ex-wife is Facking a Mexican.

You just stumbled upon the blueprint for a hit country song

i prefer to call this "The Reality Thread"

Halos are done for 2018.

Sosh likely kicked upstairs for 2019.

Deadline deals at 2018 need to be forward looking aimed at building a team around Trout, Simmons and Ohtaini.

One 2018 deadline deal would be Calhoun to a contender for pitching. Is Calhoun signed through 2019? I think he is, not sure. But if he is -- higher trade value -- his coming alive at the plate prior to the ASG helps as well.  SF Giants sure could use a decent OF'er -- for next year, too.  Cleveland Indians could as well , but more as a rental.

I would try to extend Maldonado now for a two year deal.

Everyone else expendable.

TIme to sit down with Pujols and discuss a realistic role for him in 2019 if he insists on keep on playing -- the role would be as a 'modified DH' -- that is he wouldn't start at DH but would be called upon to pinch hit -- usually for the starting DH when the situation calls for it (usually a late inning down by two, three runs situation,  perhaps two outs so no GIDP).

I think in today's MLB but could be competitive again in 2020 -- maybe a year earlier. Need starting pitching and that takes time to develop.

Assume Skaggs and Heaney get dealt -- they're pretty much all we have to work with value wise.

that's my take -- I think trying to resist the inevitable to maintain some sort of '2nd wild card' viability (BTW - there is none) for 2018 just delays what needs to occur -- we may have lost Trout already (i.e. no extension) but if we delay taking the steps necessary to make this team a competitive contender - then we've definitely lost whatever chance Halos have to keep Trout in the fold.

Cue it up now : " I could've been a CONTENDAHR'

Another year goes by where my kids root for the Doyers more than the Angels.

Another year watching Scioscia make his stupid faces whenever the umpire the home plate ump makes a bad call against the Angels.

Watching the overall game of baseball deteriorate into a glorified verision of Sunday beer league rec baseball.  

Corner infielders position themselves 10 feet behind the bag.  

Middle infielders play a step in front of the outfield grass.  

And this is how infield defenses are positioned in most game situations.

Batters never take the opportunity to bunt for an easy base hit.

The 2 strike approach is history.

A good number of umpires are out of shape which results in them being out of position making incorrect calls.  Same goes for balls and strikes.  

7 minutes ago, disarcina said:

i prefer to call this "The Reality Thread"

Halos are done for 2018.

Sosh likely kicked upstairs for 2019.

Deadline deals at 2018 need to be forward looking aimed at building a team around Trout, Simmons and Ohtaini.

One 2018 deadline deal would be Calhoun to a contender for pitching. Is Calhoun signed through 2019? I think he is, not sure. But if he is -- higher trade value -- his coming alive at the plate prior to the ASG helps as well.  SF Giants sure could use a decent OF'er -- for next year, too.  Cleveland Indians could as well , but more as a rental.

I would try to extend Maldonado now for a two year deal.

Everyone else expendable.

TIme to sit down with Pujols and discuss a realistic role for him in 2019 if he insists on keep on playing -- the role would be as a 'modified DH' -- that is he wouldn't start at DH but would be called upon to pinch hit -- usually for the starting DH when the situation calls for it (usually a late inning down by two, three runs situation,  perhaps two outs so no GIDP).

I think in today's MLB but could be competitive again in 2020 -- maybe a year earlier. Need starting pitching and that takes time to develop.

Assume Skaggs and Heaney get dealt -- they're pretty much all we have to work with value wise.

that's my take -- I think trying to resist the inevitable to maintain some sort of '2nd wild card' viability (BTW - there is none) for 2018 just delays what needs to occur -- we may have lost Trout already (i.e. no extension) but if we delay taking the steps necessary to make this team a competitive contender - then we've definitely lost whatever chance Halos have to keep Trout in the fold.

Cue it up now : " I could've been a CONTENDAHR'

Please allow me to troll this post

Pujols is the only real leader in the clubhouse

Pujols chasing records might be the only reason to watch Angel baseball this season

There's your reality

that's 2018 -- no disagreement with you there.

note my comment talks about Pujols in 2019.

query -- where does Pujols rank in the all time GIDP list?

further query -- I will look it up but I have a debate going with my baseball pals about the DH rule.  When a team pinch hits for the guy who started the game as the DH (seldom happens, but has and sometimes does) -- does that PH then become the DH - OR - 'is it one and done' for that PH and the team loses the DH and has to PH 'one and done' guys off the bench the rest of the game.

My take is that the PH does NOT become the DH -- and the team loses the DH.

the other view is that the PH becomes the DH -- for some reason, I don't think that is the case.

turns out (see above thread) - my position is WRONG (again).

If a team Pinch Hits or even Pinch Runs for the player who starts the game as the DH, that player then becomes the DH for the remainder of the game.

We should be PRing and pinch hitting for Pujols more often --

AND --

we should start another player at DH and then have Pujols pinch hit for the DH if the game situation calls for it.

11 hours ago, Reveille1984 said:

The pessimistic side of me says we sign Sosh to another 10-year extension... please kill me if that happens.

okay, but i need to make a couple of calls first. don't go anywhere - i'll be in touch soon.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Trout is going to depart a horrendous team after many years of disappointment just like Nolan Ryan did.  

Ryan left to go back to Texas.  Mike will leave to go back to Philly (or the general area).

Trout and Ryan are apples and oranges.

Ryan left for the most miserable reason in the history of the franchise. Its been almost 40 years and it still pisses me off when I even think about it. If any of us were in Ryan’s shoes we would have done the same exact thing.

Trout on the other hand has reasons for remaining an Angel and Arte needs to sell the yacht and hand him the keys to the kingdome.

we're still debating Ryan's departure some 40 years ago?

Add in the classic Buzzie Bavasi quote -- "Ryan was 16-14, I can replace him with two 8-7 pitchers..........."

Of course Bavasi was under the direction of and reporting to Gene Autry -- not exactly an owner who liked spending money.

KIds paid five cents to see his movies........Autry couldn't relate to paying ballplayers a lot of money.

oh well - a long time ago.

3 hours ago, disarcina said:

we're still debating Ryan's departure some 40 years ago?

Add in the classic Buzzie Bavasi quote -- "Ryan was 16-14, I can replace him with two 8-7 pitchers..........."

Of course Bavasi was under the direction of and reporting to Gene Autry -- not exactly an owner who liked spending money.

KIds paid five cents to see his movies........Autry couldn't relate to paying ballplayers a lot of money.

oh well - a long time ago.

There is no debate on Ryan leaving. The Angels were cheap and stupid. Period.