• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Medical Update from Angels

Chuck

I'm somewhat happy to hear the news, but honestly I think he should have TJ surgery after the season and go from there, but then again, I'm not the one with the arm injury, or the one who would go under the knife, or the one who can throw 100mph and hit the ball 500ft so my opinion means....

Capture.JPG

Great news, if I understand correctly Tanaka and Richards were both basically at this point right ? So far so good for Tanaka.  Not so much for Richards obviously.  Just gotta hope it works out.  If the doctors aren’t recommending surgery then why would Ohatani do it and why would the Angels want him to ?

obviously they wouldn’t. 

With Richards we have to remember before completely dismissing the effectiveness of the treatment that not only was he battling the injury but the curse of the Angels.

On a more serious note I wonder if this kind of treatment can someday be used in a more routine manner to help prevent the frequency of these injuries. It is a little hard to watch these guys pitching knowing that they're one unlucky pitch away from this. 

50 minutes ago, Ohtani&Trout said:

Eh, a part of me wishes he just gets the surgery out of the way now. I would hate for him to come back in 2019 only to re-injure himself a la Richards, and then return in 2021. But hopefully this treatment will work and he'll be good to go.

I almost want him to get the surgery on both arms just to be careful.

If the Angels aren't going to compete in 2018, and all evidence so far suggests that they aren't going to, then I'd say keep getting those injections into Ohtani's elbow, put him on a strength and mobility program, let him DH for the rest of the year but don't pick up a baseball again until January 2019.

That combination of strength, stretching, medicine and months of rest could help fix the issue, maybe. 

Off the top of my head, maybe the timelines are such that the Angels feel it's best for him to test the elbow out the rest of this season, and should it get damaged further or hurt, he'd still have time to get TJS, DH in '19, and pitch again in '20, and this is their way of stress-testing the elbow after PRP. 

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

No it didn't necessarily fail, he could have had the TJ surgery and still be right where he is now. It's happened more than once that a second and even a third TJ surgery become necessary.

6 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

If he has the surgery now, he'll most likely miss all next year and be ready for spring 2020.

If he starts throwing and it doesn't work out, he'll get the surgery in the offseason and  be ready for spring 2020.

What's the harm?

Yep