• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2018 MLB Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

jordan

2 hours ago, 2020worldseries said:

???

Hmc9BgRS_bigger.jpgSalt Lake BeesVerified account @SaltLakeBees
FollowFollow @SaltLakeBees
More

.@memphisredbirds pitcher Dakota Hudson was removed from the game after one inning with hugs from manager Stubby Clapp and teammates #HugWatch

I already forgot whatever weird baseball name on read on here the other day, but stubby clapp?

Is that what they called chlamydia in the 50s?

I could see Eppler being interested, controlled through 2019

Much more pressing is Tuesday's trade deadline, and here's what we know...

• Zack Wheeler could move any minute. There is heavy interest in Wheeler, and a sense among those involved that he should net a top 10 prospect and more. At least 12 teams sent scouts to Citi Field on Tuesday for what might well have been Wheeler's final start as a Met. Among them were the Yankees (yep), Red Sox, Mariners and Reds. The Rangers are also definitely interested.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/whats-expected-for-mets-at-deadline-with-cespedes-future-cloudy/287304098

Wheeler is the type of SP I imagine Eppler is looking at, but would be a little surprised if he went that route. 

The price is really high at the deadline, and he isn't one to overpay. If someone like Wheeler is generating that much interest, it's going to require something of an overpay. If he acquires a long-term SP this deadline, I think it'll either be for a clear frontline arm like deGrom, or someone who has had barely any mention of being dealt, like a Jose Urena, Jake Junis, Aaron Sanchez. Someone more off the radar, but still the same line of thinking like Wheeler.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wheeler is the type of SP I imagine Eppler is looking at, but would be a little surprised if he went that route. 

The price is really high at the deadline, and he isn't one to overpay. If someone like Wheeler is generating that much interest, it's going to require something of an overpay. If he acquires a long-term SP this deadline, I think it'll either be for a clear frontline arm like deGrom, or someone who has had barely any mention of being dealt, like a Jose Urena, Jake Junis, Aaron Sanchez. Someone more off the radar, but still the same line of thinking like Wheeler.

Sanchez is interesting, he hasn't been good this year or last, do you think he can get back or close to his 2016 numbers?  What do you think it would take to get him?

They're pretty rare these days and impossible to predict, but I can build a theoretical 3-team trade involving Moustakas between the Braves, Angels, and Royals that makes some sense. 

Atlanta has had interest in Moose, both as a rental and likely as a FA. Atlanta has need for pen help, especially with Vizcaino out indefinitely. 
Kansas City is looking to shed money and continue their rebuild.
Angels could use a controllable MLB-tested IF option to pair with Cozart and the Kids next year, as well as some rotation stability. 

Virtually no chance it would actually involve all of these players, so I listed several names just to add to the options present.

ATL receives: 
Moustakas, Alvarez, Bedrosian, and another GA native thrown in - Kaleb Cowart (zero value to the deal, just some additional UT IF depth if they want/like him)
KC receives: 
A very strong SP prospect from ATL, Taylor Ward, and a lower-level prospect from LAA (Gatto, Rivas, Luis Pena, Yan, etc. type) - perhaps a good
LAA receives: 
Either Johan Camargo from ATL, or Whit Merrifield from KC, as well as Ian Kennedy and his remaining contract.
If the Angels want more quantity over MLB quality, maybe they take Rio Ruiz and a lowed-tiered ATL SP prospect instead of Camargo. 

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They're pretty rare these days and impossible to predict, but I can build a theoretical 3-team trade involving Moustakas between the Braves, Angels, and Royals that makes some sense. 

Atlanta has had interest in Moose, both as a rental and likely as a FA. Atlanta has need for pen help, especially with Vizcaino out indefinitely. 
Kansas City is looking to shed money and continue their rebuild.
Angels could use a controllable MLB-tested IF option to pair with Cozart and the Kids next year, as well as some rotation stability. 

Virtually no chance it would actually involve all of these players, so I listed several names just to add to the options present.

ATL receives: 
Moustakas, Alvarez, Bedrosian, and another GA native thrown in - Kaleb Cowart (zero value to the deal, just some additional UT IF depth if they want/like him)
KC receives: 
A very strong SP prospect from ATL, Taylor Ward, and a lower-level prospect from LAA (Gatto, Rivas, Luis Pena, Yan, etc. type) - perhaps a good
LAA receives: 
Either Johan Camargo from ATL, or Whit Merrifield from KC, as well as Ian Kennedy and his remaining contract.
If the Angels want more quantity over MLB quality, maybe they take Rio Ruiz and a lowed-tiered ATL SP prospect instead of Camargo. 

I could see a Bedrosian for Camargo deal in some form....

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I could see a Bedrosian for Camargo deal in some form....

Camargo would be a great add for the Halos - he'd offer a great alternative to Fletcher and Rengifo with some proven MLB success and skills we'd be seeking. They like him as their 3B though, so there would likely have to be another move in the cards for them to be willing to move him, hence my idea of a Moose inclusion. 

If the Angels could rope in Merrifield or Camargo, they can skip the upcoming FA class of the LeMahieu, Dozier, Forysthe, Escobar, etc. crew and use that money for pitching. I think even with Fletcher and Rengifo playing well, they'll kick the tires on adding another player still.

Camargo is 24, a switch-hitter, and is basically at a full season's worth of games into his career - 158 games over the last two years, slashing .280/.345/.447/.791, OPS+ 113, 2.9 WAR, 33 doubles, 3 triples, 14 HR, 46 walks, 103 strikeouts, 0-1 in SB attempts. Playing mostly 3B (100 G), SS (42 G), and 2B (12 G). 

Merrifield is older, 29, but has a career slash of .290/.338/.433/.771, OPS+ of 104, and an average 4.5 WAR annually over 650 PA. 
He has a 162 game average of 43 doubles, 5 triples, 13 HR, 31-39 in SB attempts with 43 walks and 117 strikeouts. He's played mostly 2B and CF this year, but has also seen time at RF, 1B, as well as 3B and LF in his career. 

If you're able to turn Bedrosian, Ward, and a couple middling prospects into either of those players it's a big win.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Brewers gave up Kodi Medeiros for Soria. 

Medeiros was Milwaukee's #13 prospect according to MLB, 1 6'2" LHP in AA with a 3.14 ERA in 20 G/15 GS and 107 K in 103.1 innings.

That's a pretty good get and a fair read on the barometer for what Parker or Alvarez could return. 

They also got this guy as well:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=perez-013wil

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Daaaang. Two SP prospects who are, at least, on par with our guys like Jesus Castillo/Joe Gatto and probably a bit closer to the Soriano, CRod, perhaps even Suarez (pre-'18) scale for a reliever. Eppler should definitely cash in on a couple of our arms. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Daaaang. Two SP prospects who are, at least, on par with our guys like Jesus Castillo/Joe Gatto and probably a bit closer to the Soriano, CRod, perhaps even Suarez (pre-'18) scale for a reliever. Eppler should definitely cash in on a couple of our arms. 

Right?!

I know it's not easy building BPs but, if you are going to give up arms like this for Soria at age 34 in a walk year, I have to imagine Eppler can work a similar deal with Alvarez, Bedrosian, or Parker with less track record but more years of control.

The fact he moved Maldonado for a solid SP prospect makes me optimistic he can do something similar with Kinsler.

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

I have to imagine Eppler can work a similar deal with Alvarez, Bedrosian, or Parker with less track record but more years of control.

How about all 3....I think he can rebuild the pen....

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Seriously. Been surprised at the cost some of these relievers are going for.

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

How about all 3....I think he can rebuild the pen....

I agree. The pen was shaky to start the year, but when you think about it, had we not lost Middleton or Wood, it may have been a pretty decent pen, especially after Parker and Bedrosian's initial struggles. 

A lot of the bullpen's perceived weakness stems from our under-performing offense and the decimating injuries, again. Turn those around for 2019 and he'll have more leash to play with in terms of toying with the pen on the cheap.

16 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

The fact he moved Maldonado for a solid SP prospect makes me optimistic he can do something similar with Kinsler.

Kinsler playing well at the right time...Would be like Chase Utley to the Dodgers in 2015....