• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2018 MLB Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

jordan

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

We probably undervalue Bedrosian some......His value isn't what it probably was a couple of years ago but I still think we need to move him now, when contenders are antsy and his value might still be decent.......if the offers are really underwhelming, you hold him...he's not on an expiring contract so we don't have to move him....I do think its time though....He may reach his potential somewhere else but it sure doesn't look like he's going to be anything more than a dime a dozen middle reliever here...

Another factor beyond Bedrosian's talent and control that could tilt in the Angels favor is simply Cam's history with the org, his father's time there, being from Georgia...it's obviously not much to factor into a baseball-only transaction, but the Braves can make a deal with the added benefit of knowing Cam likely has interest in simply being there, not to mention any added benefit in future hometown discounts he may be willing to lean towards during arbitration or contract extensions.

It's minute - but they are all human beings and that gets glossed over at times. Cam's Georgia/Braves ties can only be a plus in a potential deal.

If Eppler could wrench away a SP prospect for any two of our relievers I think you have to pull the trigger, and it really makes plenty of sense for both clubs, regardless of the names.

Multi inning relievers are useful.  I think Billy E goofed up by not keeping some of last years bullpen, I wonder if that effects his choices this year.   Norris would have been useful at $3 million.  Petit is what the team has lacked- what was that cost, $8 million for two years?  What if Eppler had resigned both of them for $7 million this year?  Yikes, we might be in this thing.

I’d say trade only one reliever unless a great return.

54 minutes ago, Revad said:

Multi inning relievers are useful.  I think Billy E goofed up by not keeping some of last years bullpen, I wonder if that effects his choices this year.   Norris would have been useful at $3 million.  Petit is what the team has lacked- what was that cost, $8 million for two years?  What if Eppler had resigned both of them for $7 million this year?  Yikes, we might be in this thing.

He 100% dropped the ball on the bullpen

2 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

How about buying low on Archer? 

I'd definitely kick the tires on Archer and even Kiermaier. The Rays shed so much salary for fairly light returns in the Odorizzi, Dickerson, Longoria, and Span/Colome deals that it'd be interesting to see what they'd require to shed the guaranteed ~$10m Archer has due (team options bring it up to ~$28m) and Kiermaier is owed (~$42m)

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd definitely kick the tires on Archer and even Kiermaier. The Rays shed so much salary for fairly light returns in the Odorizzi, Dickerson, Longoria, and Span/Colome deals that it'd be interesting to see what they'd require to shed the guaranteed ~$10m Archer has due (team options bring it up to ~$28m) and Kiermaier is owed (~$42m)

So what do you do with Kiermaier if you get him? He's been a horrible hitter when healthy this season and pretty much all his value is tied to being an elite defensive center fielder

20 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

So what do you do with Kiermaier if you get him? He's been a horrible hitter when healthy this season and pretty much all his value is tied to being an elite defensive center fielder

Keirmaier's battled injuries quite a bit this year (Archer too) and actually over most of his career. May not be a bad idea to limit him a bit by using him in RF. 

Offensively, he'd be a little less volatile than Calhoun and they're actually incredibly similar players.
His last three years: .262/.320/.426/.746, OPS+ of 105 - averaging 20 doubles, 6 triples, 12 HR, 18 SB, 32 BB, 89 K in 118 games a year
Kole's last 3 years: .257/.330/.418/.748, OPS+ of 106 - averaging 27 doubles, 3 triples, 21 HR, 4 SB, 61 BB, 139 K in 157 games

Obviously, he'd be incredibly redundant on this team and overpaid - so in a vacuum it doesn't make a ton of sense - but there are a few ways it could still work out...

1) Angels DFA or send back Valbuena to shed some money and open up 1B playing time - Kole starts playing some 1B again, serves as a 1B/OF 
2) Pujols' knee problems are real (which I don't think is true) and he starts missing time again and Upton starts seeing DH time, either this season or in the big picture
3) Angels use Thaiss in a trade, again opening some 1B playing time in the future for Kole
4) Angels shop Kiermaier or Calhoun for pitching - either as part of a 3-team trade, at the deadline, or in the offseason
5) Kiermaier and Cozart step aside for youth in 2019(ish) and become the new Chris Young and Luis Valbuena - overpaid bench/part-time vets, which isn't so bad if guys like Ward, Thaiss, and Fletcher take everyday jobs and run with them for league minimum

His inclusion in an Archer deal would be more a result of driving the overall pricetag down by taking $$$ off the Rays plate than it would be about actually using him; sort of like how Kemp keeps bouncing around from team to team.

10 hours ago, Revad said:

Yeah I totally agree. I think Eppler has learned from this. He has since said how he focused on offense and didn’t expect the relievers to move so quickly last off season.  Plus I think he probably felt he could find cheaper options. 

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Keirmaier's battled injuries quite a bit this year (Archer too) and actually over most of his career. May not be a bad idea to limit him a bit by using him in RF. 

Offensively, he'd be a little less volatile than Calhoun and they're actually incredibly similar players.
His last three years: .262/.320/.426/.746, OPS+ of 105 - averaging 20 doubles, 6 triples, 12 HR, 18 SB, 32 BB, 89 K in 118 games a year
Kole's last 3 years: .257/.330/.418/.748, OPS+ of 106 - averaging 27 doubles, 3 triples, 21 HR, 4 SB, 61 BB, 139 K in 157 games

Obviously, he'd be incredibly redundant on this team and overpaid - so in a vacuum it doesn't make a ton of sense - but there are a few ways it could still work out...

1) Angels DFA or send back Valbuena to shed some money and open up 1B playing time - Kole starts playing some 1B again, serves as a 1B/OF 
2) Pujols' knee problems are real (which I don't think is true) and he starts missing time again and Upton starts seeing DH time, either this season or in the big picture
3) Angels use Thaiss in a trade, again opening some 1B playing time in the future for Kole
4) Angels shop Kiermaier or Calhoun for pitching - either as part of a 3-team trade, at the deadline, or in the offseason
5) Kiermaier and Cozart step aside for youth in 2019(ish) and become the new Chris Young and Luis Valbuena - overpaid bench/part-time vets, which isn't so bad if guys like Ward, Thaiss, and Fletcher take everyday jobs and run with them for league minimum

His inclusion in an Archer deal would be more a result of driving the overall pricetag down by taking $$$ off the Rays plate than it would be about actually using him; sort of like how Kemp keeps bouncing around from team to team.

I get why he would be included but I think he has to be flipped immediately. Having him in RF, Kole at 1B, Cozart at 3B moves 1/3 of your lineup into positions that kill their value and spotlight their offensive shortcomings

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

I get why he would be included but I think he has to be flipped immediately. Having him in RF, Kole at 1B, Cozart at 3B moves 1/3 of your lineup into positions that kill their value and spotlight their offensive shortcomings

For sure. But we've done this weird logjam of sorts before when we had Trumbo hopping around COF and 3B and even Valbuena's acquisition to a degree. 

It's absolutely a short-term situation - be it a matter of weeks, the remainder of '18, or a 'something has to give' by deadline 2019. 

Of late, the Rays have shed some players with guaranteed money for so cheaply that it probably isn't even necessary.

The Angels have already asked about Archer (Eppler likes his projects), the asking price as I'm told wasn't in the ballpark of their offer.

The Rays were smart on that front. Why sell him to a team looking to win in 2019/2020 when you can sell him high to a team desperate for 2018?

I think Eppler is going to use the trade deadline liberally. He'll sell off some pieces to accumulate depth while also getting some of his 2018/19 offseason shopping done a little early by acquiring a starter (which affords them the chance to push Meyer, Ramirez, Shoe and Middleton into the bullpen next year).

Offensively, I don't foresee any moves other than getting guys like Ward, Fernandez, Fletcher, Hermosillo and Blash a handful of September at bats.

44 minutes ago, jordan said:

Yeah I totally agree. I think Eppler has learned from this. He has since said how he focused on offense and didn’t expect the relievers to move so quickly last off season.  Plus I think he probably felt he could find cheaper options. 

I must have missed this. 

link?

4 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Get on it, Eppler

The Braves have stuuuupid SP prospect depth. Aside from their solid MLB rotation, they have another rotation's worth of Top 100 prospects, and then damn near another two rotations' worth of SP prospects arguably better than any of ours aside from Canning. 

Two relievers to ATL should net at least one of them.

Just now, Dick B Back said:

Speaking of prospect depth, on MLB last night they were saying after the Hand trade, SD has 10 prospects in the top 100. Looks like they are going the Houston route.

the Machado trade makes more sense when considering that. Dodgers know this year may be one of their best bets at the division before San Diego really starts to threaten. Colorado and Arizona are capable too.

57 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think Eppler is going to use the trade deadline liberally. He'll sell off some pieces to accumulate depth while also getting some of his 2018/19 offseason shopping done a little early by acquiring a starter (which affords them the chance to push Meyer, Ramirez, Shoe and Middleton into the bullpen next year).

I would be extremely happy with this. 

"With the Tigers gearing up to sell prior to the July 31 non-waiver deadline, most of their efforts are on trying to move pitchers Mike Fiers and Francisco Liriano and center fielder Leonys Martin, per Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. While two of the team’s best players – right-hander Michael Fulmer and right fielder Nicholas Castellanos – have come up in trade rumors, Detroit’s not actively shopping the pair and it would take a lot to acquire either, Crasnick adds. That jibes with reports from last weekend." 
www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/latest-on-tigers-trade-possibilities.html

With Eppler's propensity to deal with Detroit, I expect the Angels to be asking on Fiers and Liriano. Both could be had fairly cheaply, or even bundled together for one decent prospect, and it'd give the Angels some SP/RP depth should they make a push this season, or in Fiers' case, give us another SP/RP option for next season. 

Fiers this year: 3.70 ERA, 4.67 FIP, 1.22 WHIP in 18 starts, 104.2 IP: 107 hits, 18 HR, 21 walks, 76 strikeouts
Liriano in '18: 4.67 ERA, 5.31 FIP, 1.40 WHIP in 15 starts, 79 IP, 66 hits, 12 HR, 45 walks, 63 strikeouts