• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2018 MLB Waiver Trade Deadline Thread

jordan

Anxious to see Hand's cost. He'll be one of the more expensive options on the market, so he'll set the ceiling to a degree. Gives us an idea of who we may be able to hope for in the event they do listen on Parker, Bedrosian, Anderson, and Alvarez. 

Edit: Wow, Mejia to the Padres. Indians got Cimber too.

Padres have quite the farm.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'll gladly take a top 100 for parker and alvarez.  

Not too hard to imagine that's at least realistic - what team has a farm deep enough and a need for two relievers? Yankees? Phillies?

On the flip-side, Hand and Cimber could have cost Adell. I think this also lifts the value of the Jones, Marsh, Thaiss, Ward, Suarez, and Rengifo's of the world too. Guys who are right on the bubble of being Top 100's like they may be right on the cusp of being what a Top 100 would have gotten you a couple years back.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not too hard to imagine that's at least realistic - what team has a farm deep enough and a need for two relievers? Yankees? Phillies?

On the flip-side, Hand and Cimber could have cost Adell. I think this also lifts the value of the Jones, Marsh, Thaiss, Ward, Suarez, and Rengifo's of the world too. Guys who are right on the bubble of being Top 100's like they may be right on the cusp of being what a Top 100 would have gotten you a couple years back.

Braves are the first that came to mind. Unexpectedly competing this season and have probably the 2nd best farm after SD right now, so they can afford to trade off a player or 2 and not have it impact their long-term outlook. They are 19th in MLB in bullpen ERA.

Them or the Phillies would make a lot of sense as potential trade partners

It'll be Atlanta then given how often Billy trades with them. Bedrosian home to Georgia might be a great move for all.

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if he still nabbed Fiers and/or Liriano from Detroit for a very minimal cost as a quiet buy in the event the team surges. Fiers I believe has another year of control too.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Braves are the first that came to mind. Unexpectedly competing this season and have probably the 2nd best farm after SD right now, so they can afford to trade off a player or 2 and not have it impact their long-term outlook. They are 19th in MLB in bullpen ERA.

Them or the Phillies would make a lot of sense as potential trade partners

Thinking a little more, it'd be great if we could turn two relievers from the Parker, Bedrosian, Anderson, Alvarez quartet into a Jaime Barria type, which seems fair. 
An MLB ready SP prospect who maybe has a ceiling of a #3-4. Someone to add into the mix for next season. 

Braves:
Soroka, Wright, and Anderson are out of reach I imagine, Gohara, Fried, and Allard probably as well - maybe with some creativity one could be pulled away.
Joey Wentz (LHP, 20, 1.95 ERA in 13 A+ GS), Touki Toussaint (RHP, 22, 2.93 ERA in 16 AA GS), Kyle Muller (LHP, 20, 2.96 ERA in 18 A/A+ GS), or Bryse Wilson (RHP, 20, 3.34 ERA in 18 A+/AA GS), or Patrick Weigel (RHP, 24, out for year '17 TJS, made it to AAA) all could be in the mix though.

Phillies:
Sixto Sanchez and Adonis Medina are out of reach - though Medina was floated in Machado talks so maybe a big offer could pry him. 
JoJo Romero (LHP, 21, 3.80 ERA in 18 AA GS), Franklyn Kilome (RHP, 23, 4.23 ERA in 18 AA GS), Ranger Suarez (LHP, 22, 2.55 ERA in 14 AA/AAA GS), or Tom Eshelman (RHP, 24, 6.16 ERA in 19 AAA GS) all seem like plausible returns.

I think I'd deal just about any two relievers for any of those SP prospects. I'd feel pretty good going into 2019 with a rotation of hopefully Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, one of those above, possibly Shoemaker, Meyer, Tropeano, and Canning and Suarez as depth. Could still explore Skaggs' buddy Corbin as a FA too. 

Absolutely crazy how stacked those two teams are on SP prospects, especially the Braves. They have damn near three rotations worth of prospects in the minors and a good one at the MLB level. 

Wonder if Eppler will keep at eye on Austin Hedges as the Pads develop Mejia...

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thinking a little more, it'd be great if we could turn two relievers from the Parker, Bedrosian, Anderson, Alvarez quartet into a Jaime Barria type, which seems fair. 
An MLB ready SP prospect who maybe has a ceiling of a #3-4. Someone to add into the mix for next season. 

Braves:
Soroka, Wright, and Anderson are out of reach I imagine, Gohara, Fried, and Allard probably as well - maybe with some creativity one could be pulled away.
Joey Wentz (LHP, 20, 1.95 ERA in 13 A+ GS), Touki Toussaint (RHP, 22, 2.93 ERA in 16 AA GS), Kyle Muller (LHP, 20, 2.96 ERA in 18 A/A+ GS), or Bryse Wilson (RHP, 20, 3.34 ERA in 18 A+/AA GS), or Patrick Weigel (RHP, 24, out for year '17 TJS, made it to AAA) all could be in the mix though.

Phillies:
Sixto Sanchez and Adonis Medina are out of reach - though Medina was floated in Machado talks so maybe a big offer could pry him. 
JoJo Romero (LHP, 21, 3.80 ERA in 18 AA GS), Franklyn Kilome (RHP, 23, 4.23 ERA in 18 AA GS), Ranger Suarez (LHP, 22, 2.55 ERA in 14 AA/AAA GS), or Tom Eshelman (RHP, 24, 6.16 ERA in 19 AAA GS) all seem like plausible returns.

I'd feel pretty good going into 2019 with a rotation of hopefully Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, one of those above, possibly Shoemaker, Meyer, Tropeano, and Canning and Suarez as depth. Could still explore Skaggs' buddy Corbin as a FA too. 

Absolutely crazy how stacked those two teams are on SP prospects, especially the Braves. They have damn near three rotations worth of prospects in the minors and a good one at the MLB level. 

Just came in to post something like this. I wonder if Hedges becomes a target. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

40 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Just came in to post something like this. I wonder if Hedges becomes a target. 

The Padres are trying to build a winner so I am not sure why they would trade Hedges. Austin bats right-handed and Mejia can hit left-handed so they make a good pair of backstops. You can play Mejia at other positions (utility role perhaps at 3B, 1B, and the OF) on the days Hedges catches if you want Francisco's bat in the lineup more regularly.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

The Padres are trying to build a winner so I am not sure why they would trade Hedges. Austin bats right-handed and Mejia can hit left-handed so they make a good pair of backstops. You can play Mejia at other positions (utility role perhaps at 3B, 1B, and the OF) on the days Hedges catches if you want Francisco's bat in the lineup more regularly.

I don't think he'd be a target now, or maybe even for another year plus...more of a in the future option to watch. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Possibly, but it's essentially Adell for those two guys. Would you think it was light if that were the case?

Sure, that’s an equal trade if you think Mejia is equal to Adell. I honestly don’t know much about Mejia, other than his numbers and where he is ranked on top 100 prospect lists. But he looks like a guy that doesn’t have much patience or plus power. Also looks like a guy that might be moving from a premium position, where lower offensive numbers are more acceptable, to a non premium position where he’s going to need to hit very well and play at least average defense to be valuable.

Adell does have the same concerns when it comes to patience, but doesn’t have the same questions when it comes to his power and ability to stay at a premium position. He’s also 3 years younger, and not far behind development wise.

And I’m not saying the Indians didn’t give up a lot, but comparing it to what the Cubs gave up 2 years ago it doesn’t really compare. They gave up more for a rental, while the Indians gave up less for a guy under control, AND they also got another guy with a lot of control. 

9 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Sure, that’s an equal trade if you think Mejia is equal to Adell. I honestly don’t know much about Mejia, other than his numbers and where he is ranked on top 100 prospect lists. But he looks like a guy that doesn’t have much patience or plus power. Also looks like a guy that might be moving from a premium position, where lower offensive numbers are more acceptable, to a non premium position where he’s going to need to hit very well and play at least average defense to be valuable.

Adell does have the same concerns when it comes to patience, but doesn’t have the same questions when it comes to his power and ability to stay at a premium position. He’s also 3 years younger, and not far behind development wise.

And I’m not saying the Indians didn’t give up a lot, but comparing it to what the Cubs gave up 2 years ago it doesn’t really compare. They gave up more for a rental, while the Indians gave up less for a guy under control, AND they also got another guy with a lot of control. 

I wasn't comparing Adell to Mejia statwise. Just how they rank as prospects. Mejia is a top 10 prospect. Also his age means he's far closer to helping the MLB team NOW as opposed to Adell.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

It'll be Atlanta then given how often Billy trades with them. Bedrosian home to Georgia might be a great move for all.

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if he still nabbed Fiers and/or Liriano from Detroit for a very minimal cost as a quiet buy in the event the team surges. Fiers I believe has another year of control too.

correct (he's making $6M this year)

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

....It'll be Atlanta then given how often Billy trades with them. Bedrosian home to Georgia might be a great move for all.....

We probably undervalue Bedrosian some......His value isn't what it probably was a couple of years ago but I still think we need to move him now, when contenders are antsy and his value might still be decent.......if the offers are really underwhelming, you hold him...he's not on an expiring contract so we don't have to move him....I do think its time though....He may reach his potential somewhere else but it sure doesn't look like he's going to be anything more than a dime a dozen middle reliever here...