• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

% Chances That The Angels Make The Playoffs?

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think Trout and his representatives understand baseball.  Trading off Parker, Kinsler and whatever else at this point isn't going to spook him.  Getting in a bidding war for a player at the deadline where you are wasting half a season of their control makes no sense unless you don't think you'll ever have a shot at a similar player of that caliber.  And even still, it's probably a bad idea to overpay at this point.  

we've had some poor performances and major injuries.  take your lumps.  hit reset.  If you can go on a run in August and someone wants to dump some salary on you at the waiver deadline then maybe consider it.  

No doubt Trout understands baseball ⚾️ but showing a little faith in the team goes a long way. 

Kinsler isn’t going anywhere imo. It’s possible they trade a bullpen arm. It’s also possible they trade for a controllable SP. 

Valbuena can be traded for a prospect if you eat most of his remaining salary. Take a shot at Moustakas (LH) or you can roll the dice with Ward at 3B. Shoemaker/Tropeano will be back very shortly. Jim Johnson also coming back shortly too. Pujols coming back soon to led the way! 

No way are the Angels going to be sellers imo!

cj wilson GIF

One thing about tot's potential acquisition (Jose Urena), he hasn't really had any huge blowup games (only twice allowing more than 4 runs).

He also shows solid enough control (28 BBs in 19 starts), although his K's for the NL are decent (89 in 108 innings); and has only allowed 10 HRs so far.   

Only age 26 too, and just moved fulltime into their rotation in 2017, pitching 169 innings that season and being on pace for 180 innings this season.  

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

No doubt Trout understands baseball ⚾️ but showing a little faith in the team goes a long way. 

Kinsler isn’t going anywhere imo. It’s possible they trade a bullpen arm. It’s also possible they trade for a controllable SP. 

Valbuena can be traded for a prospect if you eat most of his remaining salary. Take a shot at Moustakas (LH) or you can roll the dice with Ward at 3B. Shoemaker/Tropeano will be back very shortly. Jim Johnson also coming back shortly too. Pujols coming back soon to led the way! 

No way are the Angels going to be sellers imo!

I appreciate your positivity as a fan, but Billy doesn't have the luxury of being blinded by what he hopes can happen vs. what is realistically going to regardless of whether a little faith goes a long way.  Giving up org currency to add Moustakas when you are 9 games back of a wild card spot AND have played 9 games below .500 over our last 81 games AND recently lost two of your top starting pitchers, your closer, as well as other useful players AND and bunch of others are under performing is a fools errand.  

He'll sell off whoever it makes the most sense to sell off depending on the deal.  

4 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Just curious what the other members think? 2nd question is what in your opinion most needs to happen for them to get going and make the playoffs? 

I would say they still have a 5% chance. But they really need for the offense to wake up.

What most needs to happen is the Mariners' team plane, the Athletics' team...we'll call it a plane...and the Yankees' team plane all need to be involved in a mid-air collision.

And then I put our chances at ~50%.

I'd say a 5-10% chance to make the playoffs is realistic. I would sell off any asset that isn't in the plans next year or the year after that. Get what you can for the likes of Kinsler Maldonaldo Valbuena and bullpen pieces teams would try to trade for. I wouldn't trade Skaggs unless it was a total landslide offer. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I appreciate your positivity as a fan, but Billy doesn't have the luxury of being blinded by what he hopes can happen vs. what is realistically going to regardless of whether a little faith goes a long way.  Giving up org currency to add Moustakas when you are 9 games back of a wild card spot AND have played 9 games below .500 over our last 81 games AND recently lost two of your top starting pitchers, your closer, as well as other useful players AND and bunch of others are under performing is a fools errand.  

He'll sell off whoever it makes the most sense to sell off depending on the deal.  

I see things differently  ... the Angels have around $200M already invested into this season. There are only two teams realistically blocking us from making the playoffs. You're already on record stating that the Mariners are going to crash and burn. The A's are only 6 games ahead of the Angels in the standings with still more than a third of the season to play. 

You're stance is a easy one to take ... quit. btw I said take a shot at Moustakas or give Ward a chance at third base. Angels can also dip into the org currency and trade for a controllable SP. I would be very disappointed if Eppler raised the white flag as you suggest.

What happens over the next ten games will be the deciding point.

4 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I see things differently  ... the Angels have around $200M already invested into this season. There are only two teams realistically blocking us from making the playoffs. You're already on record stating that the Mariners are going to crash and burn. The A's are only 6 games ahead of the Angels in the standings with still more than a third of the season to play. 

You're stance is a easy one to take ... quit. btw I said take a shot at Moustakas or give Ward a chance at third base. Angels can also dip into the org currency and trade for a controllable SP. I would be very disappointed if Eppler raised the white flag as you suggest.

I agree Troll, as I generally do with your serious posts.  The next ten are Astros (3), White Sox (4) and Mariners (3), all at home and that brings us almost to the non-waiver deadline.  If we go 7-3 in those ten, Eppler may make a buy move, otherwise I think he’ll hold on to see August results.  If we go 5-5 I think he’ll sell off a reliever or two that wouldn’t pass through waivers.  Six and four would be tough, depending how Seattle and Oakland do during those 10 games.

8 hours ago, Mark68 said:

What most needs to happen is the Mariners' team plane, the Athletics' team...we'll call it a plane...and the Yankees' team plane all need to be involved in a mid-air collision.

And then I put our chances at ~50%.

be patient. my people are working on something...

7 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

You don’t go after rentals if you are Eppler. If a trade comes up where he can add a controllable SP and the cost makes sense? you absolutely do it. 

30 minutes ago, Revad said:

If they go 7-3 in the next 10 I could definitely see going for Moose or another rental on the infield. 

they'll need to hope the m's and a's go 2-8 so they can start making up some ground. if they don't gain in the standings, there's no reason to grab a rental player.

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

if i'm billy and I'm not going to raise the flag, then give me a reason.  They've actually had a bunch of opportunity but haven't capitalized.  I guarantee every player in the clubhouse thinks like you.  But Eppler can't.  He has to be realistic.  

I agree that the next 10 games are huge.  If we can gain 4+ games over that span then it changes things.  If we're still 9 back after that time then it's time to sell.  

you can't run a baseball team based on the hope that you'' make some sort of historic epic comeback.  We're hoping for that.  He can't function as if that's a real option.  

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if i'm billy and I'm not going to raise the flag, then give me a reason.  They've actually had a bunch of opportunity but haven't capitalized.  I guarantee every player in the clubhouse thinks like you.  But Eppler can't.  He has to be realistic.  

I agree that the next 10 games are huge.  If we can gain 4+ games over that span then it changes things.  If we're still 9 back after that time then it's time to sell.  E mean

you can't run a baseball team based on the hope that you'' make some sort of historic epic comeback.  We're hoping for that.  He can't function as if that's a real option.  

Giving up is hard and I think unnecessary.  A third of the season left and everything has gone wrong- I expect a movement toards the mean, which gives us an edge compared to Oakland and Seattle that have been playing over their heads.  Trade for Moustakas and an optionable reliever and keep the season alive with a low cost.  Stay in the race If at least 6-4 in the next 10.

Last year Eppler didn’t upgrade at the July 31st trade deadline because the team wasn’t really playing well.   He then upgraded on August 31st deadline.  He said something to the effect of, the team played well enough that they deserved to be upgraded.   That’s what they need now, they need to deserve being upgraded through a couple of good weeks of play. 

6 hours ago, Tank said:

they'll need to hope the m's and a's go 2-8 so they can start making up some ground. if they don't gain in the standings, there's no reason to grab a rental player.

I get the point but 7-3 would likely be winning the next three series.  Seattle has three against the White Sox and two against the Giants before seeing us- 4-4?  A chance for 3.5 swing.  A’s have the Giants, Rangers and Rockies- 5-5?  Two game swing.  That may be enough to make a difference in Eppler’s thinking.

Even if all that happens we may still see a non-optionable reliever traded, while picking up a piece on the infield.  A big factor will be Otani’s status.

19 hours ago, laagamer said:

I think that if we sacrificed Mike Trout to Satan, we still wouldn't make the playoffs.

Opportunity missed based on the Angel's response to Manfreid,  I think Satan was trolling.