• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5 Technologies That Will Be Extinct 5 Years From Now

They've been talking about the death of the CD for almost 20 years now.  It has not happened yet simply because despite downloadable alternatives, CD's still deliver a quality of sound unmatched outside of lossless codex, which remains beyond the ability of most people to embrace.

And the idea that individual storage would be a thing of yesterday, that was an Idea that I read about in Bill Gates' book in the early 90's.

There's a certain amount of tangibleness that humans instinctively need, and being able to pick up a copy of something is almost as important as having it in the first place.

Some of the other technologies on that list, however, are almost certain, CRT's leading the charge.

I don't know about those old hard drives becoming extinct. A regular hard drive with an SSD cache can perform just as well as an SSD and they're starting to make drives that are a combination of the two techs. Also there's 10 slides in the 5 item slide show.

I work on a flight simulator built in the mid 90's. Still have CRT monitors sitting on top of vendor specific computers. Still load tape after tape into the image generator. Still have cabinets full of SBC's and I/O boards. But from what I hear we're just 18 months away from getting into the 21st century.

I work on a flight simulator built in the mid 90's. Still have CRT monitors sitting on top of vendor specific computers. Still load tape after tape into the image generator. Still have cabinets full of SBC's and I/O boards. But from what I hear we're just 18 months away from getting into the 21st century.

Flight of the Navigator?

Well I use 2 methods to backup my PC. CDs and external drive.

If not now, then some day you will be paying extra for "cloud" storage. F that.

I noticed already some newer PCs don't even have a DVD/CD drive...

Thumb drives are awesome, check em out.

Did you even watch the movie? The kid learns to fly the ship.

Shut up if you don't know what you're talking about.

David: Who did you see?

Carolyn: Twisted Sister.

David: Never heard of her.

Carolyn: It's a him.

David: Oh.

Carolyn: Actually, it's a them.

Well I use 2 methods to backup my PC. CDs and external drive.

If not now, then some day you will be paying extra for "cloud" storage. F that.

I noticed already some newer PCs don't even have a DVD/CD drive...

Not likely to be any time soon when there's so much competition even among the free services.

Not likely to be any time soon when there's so much competition even among the free services.

Well I did notice the chrome books Q&A  on one site said service was free for 2 years.

I also use thumb/zip plug in USB drives. My external HD has more space than my desktop.

The idea is to save off pictures and files as well as backup. If the PC dies, then I still have access to my stuff.

Those external hard drives die like crazy man.

You should have a second one stored somewhere else.

Here's what I do (aside from cloud backup): have a time capsule which backs up wirelessly, automatically.

Then once a month I also manually backup to a different hard drive that I keep at my office.

Done.

Those external hard drives die like crazy man.

You should have a second one stored somewhere else.

Here's what I do (aside from cloud backup): have a time capsule which backs up wirelessly, automatically.

Then once a month I also manually backup to a different hard drive that I keep at my office.

Done.

It's a little Toshiba I bought probably 6 years ago. Last I checked it was still working. I don't keep it plugged in all the time.