• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Former teammate of Angels’ Tyler Skaggs hoped for All-Star Game reunion

WASHINGTON — Although Tyler Skaggs was disappointed not to make the All-Star team, he at least has a fan among the players who did.

Skaggs, who has a 2.57 ERA as the leader of the Angels’ rotation this year, is still close friends with Patrick Corbin. The Arizona Diamondbacks All-Star was traded, with Skaggs, from the Angels to the Diamondbacks in the Dan Haren trade in 2010. Skaggs was traded back to the Angels in 2013.

“I thought he had a great chance to be here,” Corbin said. “It’s awesome to see him come back from the injuries and Tommy John surgery. I always enjoy watching him pitch and keeping in touch with him a lot.”

Coincidentally, a third pitcher who was a teammate of Skaggs and Corbin in the Diamondbacks’ system may have contributed to Skaggs omission.

Cleveland Indians right-hander Trevor Bauer was selected for the team as a replacement for the Astros’ Justin Verlander, who started on Sunday. Although Bauer also started on Sunday, he chose to remain on the active roster.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

If Bauer had been inactive, Skaggs certainly would have been one of the leading candidates to get his spot. Bauer threw 110 pitches on Sunday, so he’s not expected to pitch unless the game goes extra innings.

“I love to pitch,” said Bauer, who threw 110 pitches on Sunday. “I like to test myself against the best guys and get out there and have fun. I recover really well. I feel great today. I’m sure I’ll feel fine tomorrow. I just want to pitch.”

SIMBA SUPPORTER

Andrelton Simmons also missed out on the All-Star Game, with the two shortstop spots going to Manny Machado and Francisco Lindor. The Final Vote went to another shortstop, Jean Segura, while Simmons finished fifth.

Lindor said Monday that he nonetheless appreciates Simmons’ game.

“He’s a very, very, very good defender,” Lindor said. “He’s a very good hitter. He’s doing well. I don’t get to see him play that much, but when I do, he’s fun to watch. He can do something incredible that day to help his team win.”

TROUT SAYS

Typically, players face all manner of odd questions during All-Star media day. During Mike Trout’s session, he was asked about the Angels’ best and worst dresser. He said Luis Valbuena is the best and Shohei Ohtani is the worst. “Sometimes he wears the same shirts a couple days in a row on the road.”

Trout also was asked which player was the most likely to become a manager, and he said Albert Pujols. Trout said he based his opinion on Pujols’ knowledge of the game, and they had never talked about it. “He probably won’t even want to do it.”

This All-Star Game also marked a special occasion for Trout because it’s relatively close to his hometown, Millville, N.J. “I’m leaving a lot of tickets,” he said.

View the full article