• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels bullpen getting trade interest

Glen

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why would someone give up anything for "9 HRs allowed in past 20 innings" Noe Ramirez? 

Not as a standalone, but perhaps bundled with another arm to a team that's hurting. He only allowed 1 HR in the 32.1 innings prior and has maintained a K9 of 11, better than everyone on our team aside from Shohei and Anderson. Being out of options, his future may be limited with the Halos. 

Angels could sweeten a deal involving one of their better arms by offering Noe as an extra layer of depth for a team with a thin, inexperienced bullpen by letting Noe serve as that 6th inning/mop-up guy while they option their guys to AAA to control innings or tweak until September roster expansion.

21 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

I will be upset, but not surprised to see Anderson go

It's hard to say - you can argue the Angels have already 'won' by getting what they've received from him this year, considering he came from absolutely nowhere. They could see him as being someone who has already reached his peak and his successes may not be sustainable, and this being the opportune time to cash in if someone really buys into him. Conversely, that may keep anyone from offering much for him. He's shown a lot of improvement recently, so I hope they set his price pretty high, especially with how controllable and optionable he is. 

Any deal for him would be pretty hard to predict, as he came on so unpredictably. I floated an idea of swapping him to Houston for Ken Giles elsewhere. Anderson goes home to Houston, and Angels get something more of a sure thing in Giles, who's still controlled through '19 and '20 via arbitration. He's a mental nutcase, but a change of scenery may do him good, and he's still been a fantastic arm - even his struggles this year point towards some bad fortune. His FIP is 2.28, his WHIP is 1.27, and his control is better than ever - only 3 walks in 30 innings, with 31 strikeouts. In Houston, he has a 6.89 ERA in 15 innings with a WHIP of 1.66, away it's at 3.00 with a 0.87 WHIP in 15 innings. In save situations, he's near perfect: 12 innings, 7 hits, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts, a sparkling 0.00 ERA. Non-save situations? 8.20 ERA with 29 hits in 18.2 innings. Get him away from Houston - physically, mentally, and emotionally - and install him as the Angels' closer and he may find himself, and all it cost you was a comparable arm who came from nothing, and the Angels get something of a more known commodity.

Parker and Bedrosian feel like likelier pieces to sell.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Chavis is the #85 prospect (BA), #79 (MLB), a 22 year old 3B 1st rounder in AA with a career minor league slash of .251/.318/.456/.774
Groome is the #83 prospect (BA), #85 (MLB), #78 (BP), an 18 year old LHP SP 1st rounder in A Ball, with a career 5.37 ERA in 17 GS, 62 IP, (52 H, 34 BB, 82 K)
They're #1 and #2 on MLB's Red Sox Top 30 Prospects List.

I believe Groome just had TJ? 

I find it hard to believe Miami won't trade their setup guy for one of them, especially with them being 3+ years out of contention. Unless they're bluffing hoping for more..

Boston has been crushed on trading for setup guys over the past couple years with Thornburg and Carson smith

6 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

I believe Groome just had TJ? 

I find it hard to believe Miami won't trade their setup guy for one of them, especially with them being 3+ years out of contention. Unless they're bluffing hoping for more..

Boston has been crushed on trading for setup guys over the past couple years with Thornburg and Carson smith

Think there’s a little bit of Boston overhype on those guys too, but I am a little surprised neither are enough. Groome especially. Boston’s farm has been trending down sharply. 

If prices are that high for relievers I truly hope Eppler sells a couple. I believe in his ability to build a pen efficiently. The shortcomings this year were a mix of some bad luck and it was amplified by the rotations injuries and offenses struggles. Had neither happened, the pen would not have looked nearly as bad. 

Apparently the Yankees have been including Brandon Drury in their offers for Machado, Brad Hand, and likely Britton. 

Could conceivably see him being the return for any Angel reliever to NYY. He'd give us a little more MLB-tested depth at 2B/3B next year. Will have an option still next year, isn't really needed with Andujar and Torres emerging, can play some outfield...only 25, controllable through 2021.

A Parker for Drury deal seems totally plausible and fair. He displaces Cowart from the depth chart.

Truly elite relievers with lots of club control garner crazy returns on the trade market.  Especially at the deadline.  

Steckenrider is not anywhere close to the same category of Miller, Chapman, Kimbrel etc. 

He's 27 so his control through 2023 would make him 32 by the time he's a FA.  

there is some precedent, however for even good yet not dominant relievers to bring in a top 100 guy if they've got some club control.  

The smartest think the yankees did to really rebuild their team or at least hasten the process was to move Miller and Chapman.  

Granted, we don't have anything like that, but it's worth having teams kick tires.  

The indians, cards, dbacks, nats, rockies, dogs, braves, cubs, phils could all use pen help.  

Justin Wilson is a good example of an overpay by the Cubs.  

29 last year with a career FIP of 3.27 and only one year of club control.  Cubs gave up Isaac Paredes (a good 45-50 grade middle IF prospect) and Jeimer Candelario (a fringe top 100 guy who plays good 3b defense and has an ops+ of 104 in the majors at age 24).  

Even if you can get a few 45-50 grade arms that are in A+ or higher for Cam, Parker and Alvarez 

to be honest, I bet there's a ton of guys on Eppler's list who are 40-45 grade because they profile as high end relievers.  Why not grab as many of those you can get who are at the AA/AAA level that have the ability to compete at the major league level next year.  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

So far in 2018, Eppler has been Stoneman-like with trades, even ones to help for 2019 and beyond.    Snoreeee, tic toc tic toc, snoreeeeee

Only one week until non-waiver deadline 

not sure of the urgency at this point. Is there any reason he shouldn't wait till the absolute last second?  

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

So far in 2018, Eppler has been Stoneman-like with trades, even ones to help for 2019 and beyond.    Snoreeee, tic toc tic toc, snoreeeeee

Only one week until non-waiver deadline 

He did wait until the last moment last year to pick up Upton. 

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Truly elite relievers with lots of club control garner crazy returns on the trade market.  Especially at the deadline.  

Ive mentioned before, for this reason alone, i really wanted us to spend on the pen the last two years. Even if the team overall wasnt complete ("why do we need a closer when our pitchers are in the DL and guys like giovatella are here?"), we still could have jump started the farm a bit with some trade offs. Beane used to do stuff like that.

all pen guys available for a deadline deal.

line up some pitching prospects -- not going to get a top tier starter but perhaps a quality young arm that could be a key set up guy down the road.

no need for Halos to hang on to folks currently in the pen. Sell. Now. Preferably before the ChiSox series ends this week.

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

It's hard to say - you can argue the Angels have already 'won' by getting what they've received from him this year, considering he came from absolutely nowhere. They could see him as being someone who has already reached his peak and his successes may not be sustainable, and this being the opportune time to cash in if someone really buys into him. Conversely, that may keep anyone from offering much for him. He's shown a lot of improvement recently, so I hope they set his price pretty high, especially with how controllable and optionable he is. 

Any deal for him would be pretty hard to predict, as he came on so unpredictably. I floated an idea of swapping him to Houston for Ken Giles elsewhere. Anderson goes home to Houston, and Angels get something more of a sure thing in Giles, who's still controlled through '19 and '20 via arbitration. He's a mental nutcase, but a change of scenery may do him good, and he's still been a fantastic arm - even his struggles this year point towards some bad fortune. His FIP is 2.28, his WHIP is 1.27, and his control is better than ever - only 3 walks in 30 innings, with 31 strikeouts. In Houston, he has a 6.89 ERA in 15 innings with a WHIP of 1.66, away it's at 3.00 with a 0.87 WHIP in 15 innings. In save situations, he's near perfect: 12 innings, 7 hits, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts, a sparkling 0.00 ERA. Non-save situations? 8.20 ERA with 29 hits in 18.2 innings. Get him away from Houston - physically, mentally, and emotionally - and install him as the Angels' closer and he may find himself, and all it cost you was a comparable arm who came from nothing, and the Angels get something of a more known commodity.

Parker and Bedrosian feel like likelier pieces to sell.

To be honest I know it feels that way but he was a starter before and any time a starter converts to a reliever I think there is a potential for a sudden jump in ability. He was starting games in 2016 and then started the conversion in 2017 and then blew it open in 2018.

Zach Britton was a failed starter that turned into a spectacular reliever too. There are plenty of other examples.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ten HRs in past 21 innings

Why would someone want him????

Quote yourself again tomorrow when it’s 11.   If no one answered you the first time, they’re damn sure nit going to ask you after the second time.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

To be honest I know it feels that way but he was a starter before and any time a starter converts to a reliever I think there is a potential for a sudden jump in ability. He was starting games in 2016 and then started the conversion in 2017 and then blew it open in 2018.

Zach Britton was a failed starter that turned into a spectacular reliever too. There are plenty of other examples.

Doing the daily minor league recaps, Justin Anderson never caught my eye. No peripherals suggested anything like this, no production hinted at more promise, and the few games I watched or reports I read mentioned nothing about what he was when he was called up to the Angels. His ST performance was the first time I started to wonder about him, but he really, truly came from nowhere. He went from a K9 of 6.4 from '14-'17 to 12.9 in 2018. Absolutely nuts.

It would be like us discussing Alex Klonowski as a set-up man next year.