• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cards fire Mike Matheny as manager

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

If he comes here I hope so: Cards fans hate him, make fun of him, yet he succeeds at his new job and Cards fans can’t figure out why or how but continue to make ex-girlfriend like comments about him.  The Cards fan who works for Shake Shack is especially anti-Matheny, the owner of Cardswin.com is as well.  The one Mexican Cards fan finds old pro-Matheny threads to shame current anti-Matheny guys who used to support him.  But he he to hates him now.  

The most handsome member of Cardswin.com will point out the inconsistencies and hypocrisy and knows it’s anti-handsome bias as he succeeds in Anaheim.  

You did all this work

8 hours ago, failos said:

my favorite thread on cardswin.com is the one about Matheny shooting himself in the foot, by a poster named Tards.

And he won

Matheny was fired for failing at quite possibly the only thing that everyone agrees Scioscia is good at: keeping a quiet, drama-free clubhouse. It's really the Cardinals ownership and upper management that wants to frame this as ".500 baseball isn't good enough for this organization".

not sure what happened in St. Louis -- always liked Matheny.

as for the 'drama free' clubhouse remark earlier in this thread - not sure what the situation was, but Matheny and Fowler did not get along and stopped speaking to each other about two months ago.......St. Louis -- an organization that does not spend freely on F/A -- way over-paid for Fowler's over-blow Coors Field stats and then wondered when he got off to a .165 start (he's still hitting below the Mendoza line as I type this) - Matheny takes the blame apparently.

the bigger program for Matheny is that a truly amazing stat has emerged at the All Star Break -- the St. Louis Cardinals LEAD the NL in errors committed.  That is certainly NOT "the Cardinals Way to Play Baseball"  -- that stat plus the Cards tanking out of contention at the AS Break and playing some truly ugly games vs. out of contention Cincinnati this week led the Cards to make the change now and get rid of his coaching staff as well. 

I can see Joe Girardi being the next St. Louis manager --

Meanwhile -- I'd take Matheny over Scioscia --

Our choice may be Ausmus or Scioscia next year.

What Halos should do this next week after the AS Break, is trade Heaney and perhaps Skaggs to the Yankees for a number of their prospects, perhaps announce that Scioscia will become a special assistant/ advisor to the owner next season and name Ausmus as the next in line.  Bring up some of the players from AA and get them some playing time. Trade Maldonado (something I said I wouldn't do -- but he's a F/A next year and we don't have much else to trade -- I'd keep Trout, Simmons and Ohanti (no one wants Pujols' contract) -- everyone else expendable SF Giants could use a OF'er - now that Kole Calhoun is heating up at the plate a bit -- he could be a good addition there ---

I think the Angels need to make some moves for the future NOW or they can say goodbye to Mike Trout -- perhaps the best all-around MLB ballplayer of the past 50 years.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

not sure what happened in St. Louis -- always liked Matheny.

as for the 'drama free' clubhouse remark earlier in this thread - not sure what the situation was, but Matheny and Fowler did not get along and stopped speaking to each other about two months ago.......St. Louis -- an organization that does not spend freely on F/A -- way over-paid for Fowler's over-blow Coors Field stats and then wondered when he got off to a .165 start (he's still hitting below the Mendoza line as I type this) - Matheny takes the blame apparently.

the bigger program for Matheny is that a truly amazing stat has emerged at the All Star Break -- the St. Louis Cardinals LEAD the NL in errors committed.  That is certainly NOT "the Cardinals Way to Play Baseball"  -- that stat plus the Cards tanking out of contention at the AS Break and playing some truly ugly games vs. out of contention Cincinnati this week led the Cards to make the change now and get rid of his coaching staff as well. 

I can see Joe Girardi being the next St. Louis manager --

Meanwhile -- I'd take Matheny over Scioscia --

Our choice may be Ausmus or Scioscia next year.

What Halos should do this next week after the AS Break, is trade Heaney and perhaps Skaggs to the Yankees for a number of their prospects, perhaps announce that Scioscia will become a special assistant/ advisor to the owner next season and name Ausmus as the next in line.  Bring up some of the players from AA and get them some playing time. Trade Maldonado (something I said I wouldn't do -- but he's a F/A next year and we don't have much else to trade -- I'd keep Trout, Simmons and Ohanti (no one wants Pujols' contract) -- everyone else expendable SF Giants could use a OF'er - now that Kole Calhoun is heating up at the plate a bit -- he could be a good addition there ---

I think the Angels need to make some moves for the future NOW or they can say goodbye to Mike Trout -- perhaps the best all-around MLB ballplayer of the past 50 years.

Why would Trout stay if Skaggs & Heaney are no longer on the rotation ? Thats gambling a whole lot on prospects being able to pitch 200+ IP with a sub 3.75 ERA in 2020. Also got to assume Ohtani may get injured again as he'll probably avoid TJ & then end up getting TJ afterall. The rotation would look like Ohtani/Barria/Trop followed by prospects who possibly only 1 of them performs decent in 2020 & the rest are struggling & another portion of them end up on the DL.

well Scioscia4MVP - you may be right about Skaggs and Heaney - but here's the deal.

The Angels have significantly under-performed in 2018. Things are not getting better.

Perhaps the window for making this team better while we still have Trout under contract has come and gone. That could well be.

The bottom line is - the Halos are going nowhere fast with the team (and manager in the dugout) on the field now. Deadline time is coming up . We don't have a lot of assets on the team -- Richards was probably our most tradeable deadline deal asset and he's out with TJ until 2020 and may have pitched his last inning for Anaheim.

Except for Calhoun -- (and I assume our 'untouchables are Trout, Ohtani, Simmons and Pujols -- not by choice - by contract terms and reality), we really don't have much else to offer for a deadline deal to net some prospects and perhaps get some organization to over-pay for pitching..........Skaggs and Heaney -- both plagued with a history of arm issues and missed starts are our best assets to obtain any value in return. (I sort of over-looked Upton - but i assume his contract terms/ cost will keep him in Anaheim).

so, do we do nothing? that's the alternative. I really don't see this team doing much in the foreseeable future. Making no moves does not seem like a wise choice.

and, yes, perhaps there's no deal we can make now that will convince Trout that he's not wasting his best years. most productive seasons in Anaheim.