Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Trade Target: Tyler Glasnow


Recommended Posts

The Angels will likely remain around .500 at the trade deadline, not low enough to sell, not high enough to buy. 

This will likely result in some creative matchmaking to build a future roster for Eppler. 

I can see them targeting Tyler Glasnow. The Pirates aren't exactly sure what to do with him. He's had absolutely dominant numbers in the minors and dreadful numbers in the majors. He's worked as a starter exclusively until this season, the Pirates have stuck him in the pen in low leverage situations and it's been hit or miss.

Glasnow is a lot like Alex Meyer, who Eppler targeted when he dealt Hector Santiago. Long, lanky, elite arsenal, but plagued by inconsistency.

The biggest difference would be that Meyer had injury troubles and Glasnow hasn't.

The Angels obviously are in a weird spot with their pitching staff heading into next year. They've lost Garrett Richards and may or may not lose Ohtani as well, severely limiting their upside and ability to compete against the staff aces across the league. While their starters have performed quite well, it's hard to picture them giving many starts to Felix Pena.

The bullpen has been a disaster this year until recently, and even then, I couldn't say one way or another if Hansel Robles small run of success is sustainable. For the most part, they're just waiting for another Ramirez/Bedrosian implosion.

They are getting some interesting arms back next year inJC Ramirez, Alex Meyer and Key Middleton, and there are some intriguing options in AAA like Canning, Suarez and Pena, but I think the team has learned its lesson about assuming health and production.

They could buy low on a controllable upside play like Glasnow while dealing a player that's blocked for the most part, like Matt Thaiss.

If they think they can correct Glasnow's control issues, he'd either slot into the front of a rotation or the back of a bullpen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If we can figure things out with him, I would gladly accept this trade. Only issue I have with this is that the pirates have Bell at 1st so, I don't thing thaiss would work.

Very true.  They could use some middle infield depth though, especially after Harrison departs in free agency.  No shortstop to speak of really.  Maybe they'd be interested in a package around Jahmai Jones or Luis Rengifo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other then Thaiss and Walsh what other 1b are in the organization with a reasonable opportunity to be a league average 1b ? Jesus, please don’t say Fernandez. 

Generally, I think it’s a shitty idea to trade fielders who are safe bets to be major leaguers (Thaiss appears to be) for busted pitching prospects relegated to bullpen duty.  This seems like a bad trade for the Angels.  Who need a 1b. 

Edited by UndertheHalo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

why would they sell low on him?  He's not a FA till 2024.  We'd have to make it worth their while.  He's got a career minor league bb rate of 4.5/9.  Not sure he's 'fixable'.  He'll get better but he's likely a guy who's gonna walk too many guys.  

Yeah Scotty I just see no way the Pirates would trade away a pre arbitration pitcher of his caliber. Payroll is a major factor for Pittsburgh. They would be foolish to sell low as Doc pointed out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

why would they sell low on him?  He's not a FA till 2024.  We'd have to make it worth their while.  He's got a career minor league bb rate of 4.5/9.  Not sure he's 'fixable'.  He'll get better but he's likely a guy who's gonna walk too many guys.  

He's had long stretches where his BB/9 drops below three, he's definitely capable.

And they'd sell if they felt they couldn't fix him at the major league level. They'd sell if they were offered a trade that was worth their while.

Pittsburgh has a well-stocked system of pitchers, both in the majors and in the minors. What they don't have are impact bats. 

If the Angels started offering Jahmai Jones and more, you have to figure Pittsburgh would be listening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

He's had long stretches where his BB/9 drops below three, he's definitely capable.

And they'd sell if they felt they couldn't fix him at the major league level. They'd sell if they were offered a trade that was worth their while.

Pittsburgh has a well-stocked system of pitchers, both in the majors and in the minors. What they don't have are impact bats. 

If the Angels started offering Jahmai Jones and more, you have to figure Pittsburgh would be listening.

but why would we do that for someone who is potentially broken?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Angels will likely remain around .500 at the trade deadline, not low enough to sell, not high enough to buy. 

This will likely result in some creative matchmaking to build a future roster for Eppler. 

I can see them targeting Tyler Glasnow. The Pirates aren't exactly sure what to do with him. He's had absolutely dominant numbers in the minors and dreadful numbers in the majors. He's worked as a starter exclusively until this season, the Pirates have stuck him in the pen in low leverage situations and it's been hit or miss.

Glasnow is a lot like Alex Meyer, who Eppler targeted when he dealt Hector Santiago. Long, lanky, elite arsenal, but plagued by inconsistency.

The biggest difference would be that Meyer had injury troubles and Glasnow hasn't.

The Angels obviously are in a weird spot with their pitching staff heading into next year. They've lost Garrett Richards and may or may not lose Ohtani as well, severely limiting their upside and ability to compete against the staff aces across the league. While their starters have performed quite well, it's hard to picture them giving many starts to Felix Pena.

The bullpen has been a disaster this year until recently, and even then, I couldn't say one way or another if Hansel Robles small run of success is sustainable. For the most part, they're just waiting for another Ramirez/Bedrosian implosion.

They are getting some interesting arms back next year inJC Ramirez, Alex Meyer and Key Middleton, and there are some intriguing options in AAA like Canning, Suarez and Pena, but I think the team has learned its lesson about assuming health and production.

They could buy low on a controllable upside play like Glasnow while dealing a player that's blocked for the most part, like Matt Thaiss.

If they think they can correct Glasnow's control issues, he'd either slot into the front of a rotation or the back of a bullpen.

Didnt you scold me in another post for suggesting "that we trade a legitimate middle order prospect (Thais)" for a relief pitcher?

I like your suggestion but I felt you believed shouldn't trade Thaiss. Was I wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now, we sit 10 games behind the second wild card.  Unless we make up at least 3-4 games in the standings between now and July 31st (doesn't seem terribly likely, given that we have 4 days off for the ASB), I am guessing we will be sellers, which is fine.  We don't have a lot of pieces to really sell now that GRich is KO'd, but maybe we can trade for some lotto ticket type players and, more importantly, give some of our young guys (Fletcher, JMF, Ward, Thaiss) some time in the MLB to acclimate, so that we can hit the ground running next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

He's had long stretches where his BB/9 drops below three, he's definitely capable.

And they'd sell if they felt they couldn't fix him at the major league level. They'd sell if they were offered a trade that was worth their while.

Pittsburgh has a well-stocked system of pitchers, both in the majors and in the minors. What they don't have are impact bats. 

If the Angels started offering Jahmai Jones and more, you have to figure Pittsburgh would be listening.

 

43 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

but why would we do that for someone who is potentially broken?  

Clearly you think he is worthy enough to trade significant pieces for yet you believe the Pirates will simply give up on that very same potential?

Doesn't make a lot of sense for them in my opinion. They are much more likely to try and extend him than trade a pitcher of his talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

but why would we do that for someone who is potentially broken?  

If the Angels legitimately believed he could be fixed, and felt Matt Thaiss was either blocked or replaceable.  Or let's just ignore Thaiss for a second as the Pirates have Josh Bell.  If the Angels thought Fletcher or Rengifo were good enough to cover 2B, they could be interested in trading Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Didnt you scold me in another post for suggesting "that we trade a legitimate middle order prospect (Thais)" for a relief pitcher?

I like your suggestion but I felt you believed shouldn't trade Thaiss. Was I wrong?

You wanted to trade Thaiss for a RP rental if I remember correctly.  I'm suggesting the Angels could trade Jahmai Jones for a pitcher that is under team control through 2024 and still might be a staff ace. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...