• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Ohtani is rusty...

Torridd

13 minutes ago, Ohtani&Trout said:

Look at all these 'experts' telling us what Ohtani can or can't do based on a limited sample size of 35 ABs against lefties.

I wasn't convinced either way but I thought he probably needed some AAA after spring training....After that, I think I might err now on the side of giving him more rather than less....

26 minutes ago, Lou said:
  48 minutes ago, Lou said:

don't take this to mean I wouldn't want to ever see him bat vs LHP. I can see the justification for sitting him, however

In my defense, that was near the top of the thread and way too far up for me to read.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Valbuena hits 90 points higher than Ohtani against lefties.  

My argument wasn't about them specifically against each other. It was about the Angels giving players chances.

7 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I wasn't convinced either way but I thought he probably needed some AAA after spring training....After that, I think I might err now on the side of giving him more rather than less....

The only players that Ohtani is competing against for ABs vs lefties are Pujols and Marte. Albert hasn't been stellar but he's got a track record and ABs vs lefties is the only reason Marte exists on this team

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

How is he supposed to learn to hit Leftys if he doesn't get enough ABs vs them ? It'll take him longer vs lefty's if he's benched against them nearly all the time.

They could just sign Napoli & have him DH vs Lefties. He's be a upgrade over Valbuena & cost almost nothing to sign.

Mike Napoli had season-ending knee surgery in May. He was under contract with the Indians when that happened 

49 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The only players that Ohtani is competing against for ABs vs lefties are Pujols and Marte. Albert hasn't been stellar but he's got a track record and ABs vs lefties is the only reason Marte exists on this team

I still think the question could very well become what do you next year if Ohtani can't pitch and you want to get him AB's?.....Forget Marte (he is expendable or can be a bench guy) how do you handle Ohtani needing AB's and Pujols?  It was easy to manage when he was pitching---he bats vs RHP and Pujols plays 1b.....but the rubber will meet the road if Ohtani can't pitch but is hitting well and needs AB's.....we'll see....

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I still think the question could very well become what do you next year if Ohtani can't pitch and you want to get him AB's?.....Forget Marte (he is expendable or can be a bench guy) how do you handle Ohtani needing AB's and Pujols?  It was easy to manage when he was pitching---he bats vs RHP and Pujols plays 1b.....but the rubber will meet the road if Ohtani is hitting well and needs AB's.....we'll see....

If he is DH only next year he DHs against all the righties and most of the lefties while Albert plays some first and gets a few DH ABs. He's ready for a phase out

they're going to try to pick their spots with him vs. certain lefties.  Like they did giving him the nod vs. Wade LeBlanc who isn't exactly a force.  Yet Ohtani looked terrible going 0/4 with 3k.  But they aren't going to make him face Paxton or Gonazales.  And he's probably not going to face Kershaw or Rich Hill in the series with the dogs.  

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Mike Napoli had season-ending knee surgery in May. He was under contract with the Indians when that happened 

Ouch, hope he's able to play again next year. I remember he hit LHP like how Ohtani hits RHP, earlier in his career he had a 1.000 ops vs  LHP but it leveled out as he got older & started doing better against RHP at the cost of his numbers vs LHP going down.

3 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

They could just sign Napoli & have him DH vs Lefties. He's be a upgrade over Valbuena & cost almost nothing to sign.

well, if they do that, then they'd also have to sign mathis so that this board could resume the ever unresolved "mathis v. napoli" threads, all 45,609 of them

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

well, if they do that, then they'd also have to sign mathis so that this board could resume the ever unresolved "mathis v. napoli" threads, all 45,609 of them

I wouldn't mind that, Mathis has developed into a quality defensive catcher late in his career that is useful vs teams that employ alot of speed on the basepaths as he shuts down the running game very well. Trouts 1st CS this year was vs Mathis.