• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards set to have TJS

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

So now Richards' strongest attribute is his friendship with Trout.

Richards' strongest attribute is that he's a good pitcher. The Angels won't re-sign him because they're afraid that they'll lose Trout. How can you operate a business like that?

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say 

They are also pitchers who were signed by clubs who knew they'd be out the first year recovering from TJS. 

Mike Minor signed for 2/$7.25m in Feb. 2016, with a mutual option for '18 of $1.25m, bringing the value of the deal basically to 2/$10m. 
He missed '16 as expected, then returned in 2017 and had a fantastic year. 77.2 innings of 2.55 ERA, 1.01 WHIP relief work, and 2.9 WAR. 

Eovaldi signed for 2/$4m, but also can earn an additional $3.5m in incentives, so his total deal could be 2/$7.5m.
He missed all of '17 as expected, and though 8 starts this year, carries a 3.35 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, and already posted 1.1 WAR, and is now a trade chip for them. 
The Rays employed a similar contract for Wilson Ramos, who is also a big trade chip for them now.

The Twins signed Pineda for 2/$10m guaranteed. $2m this year, $8m next, with potentially $3m more in incentives for a 2/$13m. He is still recovering from TJS.
Obviously don't know the outcome yet, but he was solid for NYY beforehand. 

So, again, a 2/$8m is a pretty fair approximation of what a Garrett Richards deal would look like. Maybe it won't be exactly that amount, but anything in that ballpark that falls in-line with the deals above would be fair and likely a good investment for the Halos considering our general lack of upside pitching, his ties to the team, his friendship with Trout, etc. 

I actually feel worlds better with the Angels offering a TJ-rehabbing Richards ~2/$8m than I would have been offering him 3/$45m at the end of a healthy '18 campaign. Feel like there's a much better chance they can receive appropriate production for the dollars spent in this scenario than the other one. 

is there any kind of stipulation in his contract or from the union that a rehabbing pitcher has to continue to be under doctor's care with the team he was playing for when the TJs occurred?

i don't know what it would take to re-sign him or if the halos see long term plans for him (still), but i'd think a 1 yr  1 mil contract would be about right, and then reevaluate a year from now. i certainly wouldn't sign him to anything longer than that.

It generally doesn't seem like the injection allows the pitcher to succeed?    No pitcher having the injection done has had a sub 4.00 ERA, and stayed healthy, since then.   But, there have been success stories from TJS, including of course the originator, TJ.  TJ won 20+ games with a sub 3.00 ERA for the Dogs in 1977, his second season upon returning.

Seems like the injection still has a lot of refining work to be done?