• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards set to have TJS

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I guess if there is any silver lining here, it's that the Angels may as well offer a 2-yr deal for $8m or whatever it was that the Rays and Twins did for Eovaldi and Pineda, and hope he comes back from this.

Biggest concern? Perhaps those PRP injections aren't working, which doesn't bode well for Shohei.

Gonna strongly disagree with you here @totdprods.  Enough with Garrett Richards.  What’s it going to take for some fans to give up on this guy ? The 8 million that you’re proposing could easily go to a solid reliable player. I’m sorry to say it but ultimately Garrett Richards has been a significant bust for the Angels and it’s hard to feel like the team isn’t better off moving on.  His one excellent injury abbreviated season he wasn’t around for us in the playoffs.  The only appearance we’ve had in the last 10 years.  I know that was a freak injury and that it’s unlucky or whatever. It still happened.  In the end we weren’t even able to trade him when there started to be some noise around him.  There’s always something with Richards.  Some guys are just like this.  It’s unfortunate.  By all accounts he’s dedicated and does his part.  I feel bad for him.  But I’m over it.  I’ve seen enough.  I’m a fan of the guy at his best but I’m not holding my breath that player will come back.  The Angels didn’t get anything out him and it’s been gigantic failure.  Time to cut bait. 

Hey no disagreement here - I wanted Eppler to deal him and Calhoun in his first offseason and get the most out of them while their value was high. I advocated signing Darvish in the offseason as I thought he'd be a safer bet and allow us to let Richards walk this year - I felt he was a timebomb. Turns out Darvish was too, but my mindset didn't change - I felt it was best to get another high-end SP arm in ASAP so we didn't have to rely on Garrett beyond this season. It was a weak FA SP class and he'd command more than I was comfortable offering.

All I meant by a 2/$8m is that it's a hell of a lot better value than offering him a 3/$45m or something this offseason, should he have stayed healthy the full year. 

While I feel terribly for Richards, the bright side to this is it should help further open up some payroll space in the offseason.  No more needing to decide whether to give Richards a 3-4 year deal at ~15mil AAV.  With Richards, Kinsler, Valbuena, and Johnson off the books (and maybe Maldonado, who knows if he'll be re-signed), we'll have a good amount to work with and, hopefully, better fill some of our needs.

I am mostly just sad for Richards. He has never shown any signs of giving less than 100%. Was always doubted as a prospect. Reminds me of Kole in that way, all the doubters make it that much more sweet when he succeeds. Just shitty that his body has failed him repeatedly, so much talent. 

I'm down for a 2-3 for $6-12M if he'd do it. Calculated risk that might be worthless, but upside is huge and downside is Arte's wallet, which I appreciate but have no vested interest in. 

6 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

I bet Garret Richards grew up with his idols being Mark Prior & Mark Mulder.

That or Mulder and Sully, because aliens are about the only plausible explanation for Angels pitching health "luck." 

13 minutes ago, 101halo said:

That or Mulder and Sully, because aliens are about the only plausible explanation for Angels pitching health "luck." 

That was going to be the plot for X-Files season 12 (it now ended in 2018 with season 11), whats happening to the Angels pitchers.....Did Napoli cast a hex on the team, or is sorcery involved as they even had sacrificed a Lamb (John Lamb) to the DL gods.

I hope the Angels' re-evaluate Ohtani's path here. Get the damn surgery and begin the recovery.

I think it would be smart to offer Richards a 2/$8-10 million deal and see if he can come back out of the bullpen. I feel for Richards...we joke a lot that he's a pussy and what not; but to have some promising talent just be completely railed by injuries. 

19 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I hope the Angels' re-evaluate Ohtani's path here. Get the damn surgery and begin the recovery.

I think it would be smart to offer Richards a 2/$8-10 million deal and see if he can come back out of the bullpen. I feel for Richards...we joke a lot that he's a pussy and what not; but to have some promising talent just be completely railed by injuries. 

I think you're missing the point here. Garret's elbow was fine. He was throwing as hard as ever. Then he re-injured it because his motion is susceptible to it. If they was to re-evaluate anything with Ohtani it should be having him throw 500 splitters and 300 sliders over the course of a season

12 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Gonna strongly disagree with you here @totdprods.  Enough with Garrett Richards.  What’s it going to take for some fans to give up on this guy ? The 8 million that you’re proposing could easily go to a solid reliable player. I’m sorry to say it but ultimately Garrett Richards has been a significant bust for the Angels and it’s hard to feel like the team isn’t better off moving on.  His one excellent injury abbreviated season he wasn’t around for us in the playoffs.  The only appearance we’ve had in the last 10 years.  I know that was a freak injury and that it’s unlucky or whatever. It still happened.  In the end we weren’t even able to trade him when there started to be some noise around him.  There’s always something with Richards.  Some guys are just like this.  It’s unfortunate.  By all accounts he’s dedicated and does his part.  I feel bad for him.  But I’m over it.  I’ve seen enough.  I’m a fan of the guy at his best but I’m not holding my breath that player will come back.  The Angels didn’t get anything out him and it’s been gigantic failure.  Time to cut bait. 

And I'll have to disagree with you. It's not like he's had TJ before. I think the Angels should see what he can do after the surgery. It may be a big positive and one the Angels should easily afford.

13 hours ago, totdprods said:

That's peanuts to the Angels '20 payroll commitments. And even less impacting to the luxury tax cost. Totally worth the risk, especially if they toy with the idea of having him in the pen. And half the board feels like he needs to be here for Trout to re-sign, soooo...

Comes down to where he wants to be.

Agree with totdprods. 

And one has to wonder why Richards would want to sign with another team he's never played for while rehabbing for a year unless they pay him big bucks compared to 2/$8M. I can't see another team paying Richards more than 2/$8M too.  

Believe he will sign somewhere because if he doesn't he won't get paid in 2019 while rehabbing...and $4M salary while rehabbing is nothing to sneeze at.

If he signs with the Angels he'd still be with the team in 2019 while rehabbing and with his buddy Trout.