• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This upcoming Trade Deadline

Chuck

Those that already wrote of off need to wait a little longer. The second WC spot will come down to four teams (Seattle, A's, Rays, and Angels). Imo these three other teams are reachable. Of course Seattle has a huge 10 game lead over the Angels but that can easily disappear if they stop playing over the heads and the Angels offense start waking the **** up.

happy joy GIF

7 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

If History is any indication, the Angels will ADD a player to give the illusion they are still in contention.  So odds are we should discuss what player the Angels will get. 

Angels were 2gb in 2015 at the deadline.  They didn't add squat  except David Murphy and Shane Victorino cuz they had no farm to do so.  they were +8 and played .500 the rest of the way.  

in 2016 we were 14.5 gb of div and 10+ from the wc at 47-58.  we sold joe smith for fringe prospect Jesus Castillo.  and Santiago for Meyer also taking on Nolasco to offset salary.  

last year we were 51-55 but only three back of the WC at the deadline and sold david hernandez.  Then on Aug 31 we were 69-65 only 1gb of the WC and added Upton and phillips.   We proceeded to go 11-17 finishing 5gb of the wc.  

Eppler has done exactly what he should have at the deadline the last two years.  We're 14gb of the div and 10 of the second wild card right now. 

He's not going to add shit unless he feels like he's getting some sort of oddly good deal on a player with multiple years of control.  Even then, he'll sell off anything else that he can with expiring control or value.  

4 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Those that already wrote of off need to wait a little longer. The second WC spot will come down to four teams (Seattle, A's, Rays, and Angels). Imo these three other teams are reachable. Of course Seattle has a huge 10 game lead over the Angels but that can easily disappear if they stop playing over the heads and the Angels offense start waking the **** up.

happy joy GIF

I like your optimism, but the only way this happens is if they suffer a significant injury to Paxton, Haniger, Segura or Diaz over the next couple weeks as well as not add anything.  And they are absolutely going to add here very soon.  

I would be more agreeable on your statement had we not suffered a horrible rash of injuries again.  If by some miracle we get Richards and Ohtani back on the mound this year and go on a 12-3 or 13-2 run prior to the deadline cutting the deficit to 4 or 5, then I would be willing to consider buying in.  

Bedrock Jr. is a hard one to figure out.  

His run since June 1 (17.1 innings, 1.10 WHIP, 0.52 ERA, 18 Ks) is somewhat similar to his 2016 season, and the FB and slider are back.  

Does he have the durability to withstand 70-80 innings a season though?   After pitching 63 innings, 64 innings, and 69 innings up here and on the farm from 2013-2015, he only pitched around 48 innings in each of 2016 and 2017, and so far has already reached 40.2 innings in 2018.    

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I like your optimism, but the only way this happens is if they suffer a significant injury to Paxton, Haniger, Segura or Diaz over the next couple weeks as well as not add anything.  And they are absolutely going to add here very soon.  

I would be more agreeable on your statement had we not suffered a horrible rash of injuries again.  If by some miracle we get Richards and Ohtani back on the mound this year and go on a 12-3 or 13-2 run prior to the deadline cutting the deficit to 4 or 5, then I would be willing to consider buying in.  

Being ten games back makes it easy to have a negative outlook ... I get it

I still believe Eppler waits until the waiver deadline to sell parts unless the team goes deeper into the hole. Next few weeks should tell the story. It would be great if Eppler helped the team by the deadline. 

What would Trout want? 

4 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

If the Angels are true to form, they will add a + 30 veteran, either a marginal player age 31-33, or a very good player age 35-38.

The only player that might return decent prospects is Upton, but the Angels will still be in their "win now" mode, so he is likely untouchable.

Of greater concern is which prospects the Angels will part with to obtain this( or these) veteran?

None

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Angels were 2gb in 2015 at the deadline.  They didn't add squat  except David Murphy and Shane Victorino cuz they had no farm to do so.  they were +8 and played .500 the rest of the way.  

in 2016 we were 14.5 gb of div and 10+ from the wc at 47-58.  we sold joe smith for fringe prospect Jesus Castillo.  and Santiago for Meyer also taking on Nolasco to offset salary.  

last year we were 51-55 but only three back of the WC at the deadline and sold david hernandez.  Then on Aug 31 we were 69-65 only 1gb of the WC and added Upton and phillips.   We proceeded to go 11-17 finishing 5gb of the wc.  

Eppler has done exactly what he should have at the deadline the last two years.  We're 14gb of the div and 10 of the second wild card right now. 

He's not going to add shit unless he feels like he's getting some sort of oddly good deal on a player with multiple years of control.  Even then, he'll sell off anything else that he can with expiring control or value.  

We might have actually added a decent player if our GM didnt quit in July!

They should realize that this current group of guys can't hit to save their lives and Eppler and company should trade pretty much any player that has any value whatsoever.  Aside from a few of obvious players, trade for guys that can contribute next year or the year after.  Arte better go hard in FA too.  Throw in the towel.  This year was won by injuries.  Arte should allow Eppler to trade all the vets and bring up the young kids.

13 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bedrock Jr. is a hard one to figure out.  

His run since June 1 (17.1 innings, 1.10 WHIP, 0.52 ERA, 18 Ks) is somewhat similar to his 2016 season, and the FB and slider are back.  

Does he have the durability to withstand 70-80 innings a season though?   After pitching 63 innings, 64 innings, and 69 innings up here and on the farm from 2013-2015, he only pitched around 48 innings in each of 2016 and 2017, and so far has already reached 40.2 innings in 2018.    

JeppyRock...

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

We might have actually added a decent player if our GM didnt quit in July!

Not sure the GM mattered, although Stoney wasn’t exactly Trader Jack....it was all about staying under the luxury tax....

37 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure the GM mattered, although Stoney wasn’t exactly Trader Jack....it was all about staying under the luxury tax....

If it came down to re-signing both Trout and Simba and they were faced with going over the tax threshold if adding a true in his prime like Arenado after 2019, would Arte Moreno do it?   He’s never gone over it, almost like it’s a principle thing with him?

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

If it came down to re-signing both Trout and Simba and they were faced with going over the tax threshold if adding a true in his prime like Arenado after 2019, would Arte Moreno do it?   He’s never gone over it, almost like it’s a principle thing with him?

i believe it is and that this club will never go over the luxury tax.   There is almost no other explanation.  
I respect that fact that he is at least willing to go that far, most teams dont, but it is frustrating as a fan to see us walk up to the door and then failed to open it over a few more dollars that in the grand scheme of things wont hurt the franchise financially.
Weve made some bad decisions, weve had some horrific luck with injuries, weve also shot ourselves in the foot.

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Why trade kinsler? The return will likely be nothing, and whoever replaces him at 2B will likely not help either.

I guess fletcher, but then do we play marte at 3B? Call up ward?

Im not a fan of the guy, I just dont see the reason. (Unless were saving a few bucks I guess).

If cozart was here I could see it.

Call up JMF to play 2B

18 hours ago, disarcina said:

why would we deal Maldonado?

I can think of a lot of guys (most of them) to deal -- but not Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, Maldonado,

Depends on what you can get for him and how soon Rivera is coming back from the DL.

I could see us moving Maldonado and let Briceno catch full time, call up (add to 40 man) Arcia.

11 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Call up JMF to play 2B

Not sure that's his best position.....I would think 1b or 3b....which is why I'd try to move Valbuena this month if we can (probably not likely), in addition to Kinsler (maybe more likely).....I'd like to see what Fletcher could do in August/Sept at 2b....

37 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure that's his best position.....I would think 1b or 3b....which is why I'd try to move Valbuena this month if we can (probably not likely), in addition to Kinsler (maybe more likely).....I'd like to see what Fletcher could do in August/Sept at 2b....

Easy fix...move Fletch to 2B and let JMF handle 3B.  Still works.

Heck move both Ian and LBV and call up Fontana to be super sub.  If JMF can handle MLB pitching (he has destroyed AAA pitching), he could be an answer as at least platoon partner with AP or starting 3Bman next year.  

We are not competing this year...let Fletch and JMF play.  Also, I would let Briceno play more behind the plate.  

Looking to next year.....outside of starting pitching, our holes are going to be 2B and 3B.  Cozart is going to handle 2B, so it leaves us 3B.  What internal options do we have?  

We need to focus on pitching pitching pitching this off season.

I'd still entertain offers for Simmons, Skaggs, and Heaney. It'd have to be totally overwhelming but someone may overpay, and you'll have a hot SS market to play off from Machado. The Angels have two players in-house more than capable of holding down SS at least defensively next year in Cozart and Fletcher. Nowhere near Andrelton's level, but within the realm of reasonable for a contending MLB club. Simmons would probably net one or two blue-chip pitching prospects. 

Suarez obviously won't step in and replace the production of Skaggs or Heaney, but adding a 3rd lefty to the rotation may cause some imbalance. Dealing one now would make some sense, especially if Corbin becomes an offseason target. 

Really tough position this team is in again.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd still entertain offers for Simmons, Skaggs, and Heaney. It'd have to be totally overwhelming but someone may overpay, and you'll have a hot SS market to play off from Machado. The Angels have two players in-house more than capable of holding down SS at least defensively next year in Cozart and Fletcher. Nowhere near Andrelton's level, but within the realm of reasonable for a contending MLB club. Simmons would probably net one or two blue-chip pitching prospects. 

Suarez obviously won't step in and replace the production of Skaggs or Heaney, but adding a 3rd lefty to the rotation may cause some imbalance. Dealing one now would make some sense, especially if Corbin becomes an offseason target. 

Really tough position this team is in again.

If this team trades Simmons, Trout is as good as gone. Horrible, horrible idea.