• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do Angel fans want to "elevate" the franchise?

14 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

One of Thaiss or Ward may be ok. But Thaiss, Ward, and JMF all making an impact would be like winning the lottery three times at once. 

Good point, although there is nothing wrong with seeing how they do the rest of the season here.   But it's likely that at least one position player upgrade will need to take place during the off-season. 

I think they will spend money on the bullpen next year. Make Calhoun the 4th OF. 

C- Maldonado

1B- Free Agent

2B- Cozart

SS- Simmons

3B- Fletcher

LF- Upton

CF- Trout

RF- Free Agent

DH- Ohtani & Pujols

Bench- Briceno, Thaiss, Fernandez, Calhoun

SP- Skaggs, Barria, Heaney, Tropeano, Canning, Ohtani-?, 

RP- Parker, Bedrosian, Meyer, JC Ramirez, Alvarez, Anderson, 2 Free agents.... one of them will be a stud closer.

27 players.... assuming a couple get hurt.

The Angels aren't signing a free agent RF or 1B. They've got Marsh and Adell ready by 2020 and Kole is looking good enough to tide us over until then, with Hermosillo in the mix.

As for 1B, Matt Thaiss is almost ready. He won't be a star but he should be a solid above average performer and we're at a bit of a low point in terms of impact first basemen. You've got Goldschmidt, Freeman, an aging Votto, one or two others, and then a lot of guys that aren't much better than Thaiss should be. 

@Scotty@AW's post is a great map and one I could have written word for word (therefore brilliant ;). We need patience, folks. Let's not rob the future to try to patch together a contender in the present. 

There are two basic paths forward: Path A is trying to put together the best team possible in the "Trout Window" (now only 2019-20), including spending on free agency and making some trades. Path B is focusing on building from within and using free agency and trades only to patch significant holes (the bullpen). Path A has an increased chance of reaching the playoffs over the next season or two, but is less sustainable and with a greater chance of diminishing results and an up-and-down pattern year to year. Path B is more sustainable and will yield better long-term results and an overall upward trajectory, but requires more patience. I think my choice is obvious.

@Angelsjunky, how far away is Marsh? 

I agree on the 1B part. Even a kotchman type performance out of thaiss will replace pujols. But is Marsh looking like a legit guy? Ready for next year type player?

While I agree it would make sense to not sign a RF with him and maybe Adell ready in 2 years, thats only if trout stays. If trout bails, and we have a few affordable in house guys...who are only average...that wont work. (And for the record, im not suggesting we sign a FA outfielder. I just dont know enough about our minor league guys).

39 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels aren't signing a free agent RF or 1B. They've got Marsh and Adell ready by 2020 and Kole is looking good enough to tide us over until then, with Hermosillo in the mix.

As for 1B, Matt Thaiss is almost ready. He won't be a star but he should be a solid above average performer and we're at a bit of a low point in terms of impact first basemen. You've got Goldschmidt, Freeman, an aging Votto, one or two others, and then a lot of guys that aren't much better than Thaiss should be. 

@Scotty@AW's post is a great map and one I could have written word for word (therefore brilliant ;). We need patience, folks. Let's not rob the future to try to patch together a contender in the present. 

There are two basic paths forward: Path A is trying to put together the best team possible in the "Trout Window" (now only 2019-20), including spending on free agency and making some trades. Path B is focusing on building from within and using free agency and trades only to patch significant holes (the bullpen). Path A has an increased chance of reaching the playoffs over the next season or two, but is less sustainable and with a greater chance of diminishing results and an up-and-down pattern year to year. Path B is more sustainable and will yield better long-term results and an overall upward trajectory, but requires more patience. I think my choice is obvious.

I am not saying what they should do. I was predicting what they will do.

If the Angels do not add ANY offensive firepower, from outside the organization, this winter than you can kiss Trout goodbye.

Trout staying or going is a lot like a heavily recruited high school football player. Most of those athletes do not pick a college at the end of there senior year. If the Angels plan is to be above average in 2019 if everything goes right than Trout is gone. By 2020 it will be too late.... if it's not already.

To assume that any of these prospects are going to come in and be good just because they played well at Salt Lake is not a great plan. The Angels need a LOT of offense. If they are basing next year on Thaiss, or Herm, or Blash than that is not a great plan.

Who knows if Marsh or Adell will be ready in 2020.... or if they ever will be ready. Most prospects do not amount to anything at all.

Don't get me wrong I love prospects. But if the Angels plan is to slowly & gradually bring in unproven talent than kiss Trout goodbye.

Trout is a winner and I am pretty sure he is getting tired of this losing crap.

50 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Kole hitting .170 is good enough????

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

@Angelsjunky, how far away is Marsh? 

I agree on the 1B part. Even a kotchman type performance out of thaiss will replace pujols. But is Marsh looking like a legit guy? Ready for next year type player?

While I agree it would make sense to not sign a RF with him and maybe Adell ready in 2 years, thats only if trout stays. If trout bails, and we have a few affordable in house guys...who are only average...that wont work. (And for the record, im not suggesting we sign a FA outfielder. I just dont know enough about our minor league guys).

Roughly speaking, Adell is ready the end of 2019, beginning 2020, Marsh mid 2021.

Marsh is older than Adell. He was held back by injury when he signed. So, he could possibly make it by the end of next year or 2020. Same with Adell.  If Marsh doesn't make it by 21, he will be what, 25?  If so, he would probably be better for trade bait.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Marsh is older than Adell. He was held back by injury when he signed. So, he could possibly make it by the end of next year or 2020. Same with Adell.  If Marsh doesn't make it by 21, he will be what, 25?  If so, he would probably be better for trade bait.

He'll be 23 the entire 2021 season.  

Adell could easily be a september call up next year.  

Hopefully some of the prospects pan out. I know very little about the % of prospects that pan out..... but I would guess 1 in 3? 1 in 4 pan out? There just is not many Mike Trout's & Ken Griffey's lying around.

I don't think the Angels will put all there eggs in 1 basket. Guarantee it they will go after 1 or 2 proven free agents players this winter with a solid offensive resume under there belt. If they get an Upton type .250 BA with 30 HR's.... that will suffice.