• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Do Angel fans want to "elevate" the franchise?

Dtwncbad

I put elevate in quotes because I think some would believe that behaving more like the Yankees and Red Sox would be a bad thing.

Arte once said he would make the Angels the Yankees of the West Coast.

Do you want that?

It would mean spending money to haul in your share of premium free agents and then having the financial courage to spend your way out of the problems that go along with signing big free agents.

Do you want that?

By the way this doesn't mean having a terrible farm system.  It means you don't always just wait for your own talent to solve your problems.

It would mean chasing Machado in the offseason AND having the courage to go get a legit 1B and not blink at the money still owed to Pujols.

Do you want to be the Yankees of the West Coast?

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I don't think the Yankees are the be all and end all model for success. Not in the last couple decades.

I would say they are. Spending a ton of money AND having a consistent, quality farm system? 

Also, if we want to get literal they've won more WS Championships in the last 2 decades than any other team.

6 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The Angels have a higher payroll than NYY this year. The problem isn't lack of spending, the problem is that the Angels blow their wad on guys like Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols.

AKA, the Angels are dumb and unlucky.  

The difference is that the Angels are fucked when things go south for them.  The Yankees just write it off and move on.  Would the Yankees be dealing with this Albert Pujols shit. 

The answer is no. 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

AKA, the Angels are dumb and unlucky.  

The difference is that the Angels are fucked when things go south for them.  The Yankees just write it off and move on.  Would the Yankees be dealing with this Albert Pujols shit. 

The answer is no. 

The Angels haven't dumped Pujols because they are afraid of disrespecting him, not because they are financially unable to replace him with at least a league average 1B. They traded their league average upgrade to the Rays.

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The Angels haven't dumped Pujols because they are afraid of disrespecting him, not because they are financially unable to replace him with at least a league average 1B. They traded their league average upgrade to the Rays.

I think it’s more about the money then anything, but the RESPEK thing is also a challenge. 

The Angels, relative to most teams are in a good money situation and good spend capacity situation.  They just fu*ck up constantly.  This season is frustrating, but I do think Eppler is mostly setting them in a good direction.  It’s just going to take patience. 

32 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

The first step in that direction would be to change the ridiculous Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name.

The Angels are not from LA, people know that, and the Angels shouldn't pretend to be.

It should be either the California Angels or Anaheim Angels.  I think California Angels would sell better to free agents than Anaheim Angels.

Aside from that, there will never be a franchise in American sports that compare to the Yankees.  The Celtics, Lakers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, have history and a huge following, but not quite like the Yankees.

The Angels should not be concerned with trying to be the Yankees, they should be concerned with making smart baseball decisions, which they have done well for the most part.  

They dropped of Anaheim 3 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The Angels have a higher payroll than NYY this year. The problem isn't lack of spending, the problem is that the Angels blow their wad on guys like Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols.

This really does ignore what has happened the last 10-20 years as it relates to their payroll.  They paid to solve problems so they could build the farm.  They have spent a ton of money and haven’t won since, what 2009?  They have spent just about $2 billion since 2010 without winning.  That is about $500 million more than the Angels.  Also they have had their share of shit contracts as well.  Oh and we are spending $500k more than them this year, so basically we are paying the same.  

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Thank goodness. 

Still feels weird being the LA Angels though.  It's like the A's being called the San Fransisco Athletics.  

Ok.  This is a super old conversation, that isn’t unique to the Angels.  

47 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

This really does ignore what has happened the last 10-20 years as it relates to their payroll.  They paid to solve problems so they could build the farm.  They have spent a ton of money and haven’t won since, what 2009?  They have spent just about $2 billion since 2010 without winning.  That is about $500 million more than the Angels.  Also they have had their share of shit contracts as well.  Oh and we are spending $500k more than them this year, so basically we are paying the same.  

Angels are spending$12,000,000 more this year from the list I saw. But that's nitpicking.

I agree NYY has had bad contracts. But the Angels seem to have more than anyone else. When big signings are going to handcuff you for years make sure you aren't signing Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Angels are spending$12,000,000 more this year from the list I saw. But that's nitpicking.

I agree NYY has had bad contracts. But the Angels seem to have more than anyone else. When big signings are going to handcuff you for years make sure you aren't signing Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton.

Look at Cots they’re both spending $166m.  Arods contract was awful, Ellsbury, CC, Tex.  All bad contracts.   They won in 2009 so it lessens how some may feel but ARod sued the team and was Suspended.  CC entered alcohol rehab and was bad for most of the last five years.  Ellsbury is $160 million 5th outfielder.