• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Mike Trout again voted to All-Star team, campaigns for Angels teammate Andrelton Simmons

ANAHEIM — Not long after Mike Trout learned that he had been once again elected as a starter for the All-Star Game, he was campaigning to have one of his teammates as company.

“We need to get Simba in,” Trout said of Angels shortstop Andrelton Simmons, who was one of five players picked to go on the ballot this week for the final spot in the American League.

Simmons is up against Andrew Benintendi, Giancarlo Stanton, Jean Segura and Eddie Rosario. Voting begins immediately online, and concludes on Wednesday. Voting details can be found on all official Major League Baseball web sites.

A three-time Gold Glove winner, Simmons has never made an All-Star team. He started to gain more attention for his overall game last year, when he had his best offensive season, one good enough for him to eighth in the league in MVP voting.

This year he was hitting .312 with an .815 OPS heading into Sunday’s game. He was particularly adept at putting the ball in play, with just 15 strikeouts in 325 plate appearances.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

Simmons didn’t crack the initial roster because he’s in a league with Manny Machado and Francisco Lindor, who are both also having outstanding seasons. They were picked to the team, with Machado named the starter.

The AL shortstop crop also includes Segura, who is having an outstanding season, and Carlos Correa, who is currently hurt.

“Especially with all these great shortstops in the American League, (making the team) would be special,” he said. “It would really be a milestone for me. First of all, I’m just happy I’m here in this position.”

As All-Star talk has begun to circulate around Simmons, he insisted he had been paying little attention. He also said, although he would love to go, he wouldn’t mind having four days off.

He said he’s already got some plans for the break.

“I might have to move a couple things here and there, but if I have to, it’s going to be for best,” Simmons said.

Trout, on the other hand, likely never makes plans for the All-Star break. He’s been selected for the game all seven of the full seasons he’s been in the majors. He has been elected as a starter six times, although he couldn’t play last year because he was rehabbing from a thumb injury.

“It feels great,” Trout said. “Obviously getting voted in from the fans is a big deal. It’s obviously humbling, a great honor.”

View the full article