• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are the Angels simply 2 players away?

I would also add, in reference to the OP, that when Eppler came in, he really had two choices:

1) He could try to patch a sinking ship and trade what little prospects he had for questionable veterans and spend big on free agency, in a couple years that were relatively shallow with talent, all in the hopes of desperately trying to compete with a rising young team in the Astros.

2) Focus on the long-term: scouting, player development, and savvy acquisitions, while retaining as much homegrown talent as possible.

Thankfully he choose the second route. Why? Because that is the best chance to turn this team into a perennial powerhouse like the Astros or Cubs, both of whom were mostly built on homegrown talent.

Now let's advance the dial 2-3 years. The Angels have a strong young core of homegrown talent and an overflowing farm system which allows them to trade for missing pieces. 

If we had taken the 1st route, in 2021 we'd have the uncomfortable question of why we have a team with a 44-year old Pujols but no Mike Trout.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

If healthy, we are two lockdown relievers from being competitive.  Add one more impact hitter and we caught the Stros.

Look at this year.  We were in great shape until the blowpen started giving away games and that was with Calhoun disappearing.

I haven't looked in a week but we lost 10 games leading into 7th inning.  Four of those losses were from the Astros and Mariners.  Had we won 80% of those we would be within 3 games of the Astros and 4 games of the Mariners.

Then we have to stay healthy.  Yes there us argument that a premium starter coukd give us more depth.  However, our premium starter we signed (Ohtani) went down to ucl.  Anyone we sign can have that happen.

We need average production from RF, 3b, and 1b.  

I like both Fletcher and JMF for those roles.  I am not sold on Ward with just one year of turning into offensive phenom.

Pujols does need to consider retirement.  Someone close needs to convince to consider his legacy.

We dont need a premium starter.  We need a dominant Pen and average production from our secondary guys.  On impact bat would be nice.

Are you sure?  Richards is a free agent, so he is probably gone, and nobody else is even a decent bet to throw 160 innings.  Not that Richards was an innings guy at all, just saying that is ine fewer body to hope to absorb some if the 1458 innings needed.

18 minutes ago, 70runner said:

I'll continue to argue that adding these hitters or those hitters to a lineup around a fixture in the MOTO that can't run and struggles to hit his weight will not produce the intended results.

Agree, that's why these threads are so pointless.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

No, im suggesting that one doesnt matter without the other.  nothing shocking about that at all.  

So thank you again for restating again what was fully covered in the original post.

Let's insert some posts in here too that none of this matters if the Angels go bankrupt.

23 minutes ago, 70runner said:

I'll continue to argue that adding these hitters or those hitters to a lineup around a fixture in the MOTO that can't run and struggles to hit his weight will not produce the intended results.

Yes but the Angels will never scoot him out of that spot unless they have obvious better options.  Your point and my interest to aggressively try to add a significant bat are not in conflict with each other.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Yes they’re rebuilding the farm but not waiting around for players to pan out. I think money is the culprit here. 

Well they aren’t signing guys that will interrupt the rebuild.  Upton is the only one that could possibly get in the way with the five year commitment to him.  

7 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I don't think the Angels need to spend money on offense this off-season, that includes Maldonado, I think he should be traded. 

The Angels need to trade Richards/Maldonado/Kinsler/Valbuena/etc. for quality relief pitching with multi-year contracts.  Then, the Angels need to do what the Yankees did with Aroldis Chapman.  Trade Richards, then sign him right back in the off-season.  

The offense will be much better next year assuming Ohtani is DH full time, Fletcher playing 2B/3B full time, and Ward/Fernandez/Thaiss replacing Marte and Valbuena.

Hopefully Calhoun has legitimately turned it around, but nevertheless, Jabari Blash should be auditioned for next year in 2018.  Since Blash was sent back down in May, he has hit .322/.424/.723/1.147 with 13 home runs and 10 doubles in 125 at bats.  If neither Blash or Calhoun play well for the rest of 2018, I would put Fletcher in RF in 2019, and put Ward/Fernandez at 3B (Cozart 2B).

Only spend big money on FA relievers with closer talent.  Starting rotation is fine, just need to stay healthy.

Multi-year reliever deals are typically bad investments unless they are limited to two years.

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Well they aren’t signing guys that will interrupt the rebuild.  Upton is the only one that could possibly get in the way with the five year commitment to him.  

That move indicated to me they don't want to waste these years.  I hope I am reading that right.

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So thank you again for restating again what was fully covered in the original post.

Let's insert some posts in here too that none of this matters if the Angels go bankrupt.

only you didnt cover it, you brushed it aside as if it wasnt part of the problem as if it somehow has some totally different solution, it doesnt.
The end result is that we are not 2 players away, we are 4, or 5, counting the bullpen.
Its not personal, unlike your bullshit at me.  

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

Don't forget about 2B.

I agree, the pen has to be massively upgraded.  

We dont need 2b and 3b.  We need one or the other.  Cozart isn't going anywhere so we are not replacing him.  I like Fletcher and JMF as internal additions.  I have no idea where we would get the bullpen help.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels sit middle of the pack in team stats in pitching and in hitting.  Sort on any meaningful statistic and the Angels are consistently locked into the middle of the pack.

Most of the teams in front of the Angels in these rankings are contending.

If the Angels add one premium starting pitcher and one premium bat, this team is at a completely different level.

I can't advocate trading for these players this year, not this far back of a wildcard spot.

But in the offseason, they need to target a couple of high impact players and pull the trigger.

There is some help on the way from the farm, but nothing high enough impact is coming in 2019.

The bullpen stinks too.  I am not ignoring that.  But that is a different project that doesn't always require free agency.

The Angels will repeat this lame year next year if they don't get surgically aggressive in acquiring one beast starting pitcher and one beast hitter.

Free agency scares people and it should.  But the answer is not shun free agency out of fear, the answer is get better at picking the right players to sign.

He didn’t brush it aside.  

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Are you sure?  Richards is a free agent, so he is probably gone, and nobody else is even a decent bet to throw 160 innings.  Not that Richards was an innings guy at all, just saying that is ine fewer body to hope to absorb some if the 1458 innings needed.

Skaggs is pitching better than Richatds.  However you are right.  If we lose Richard's we would need a replacement because Ohtani isnt pitching next year.

Next year we should have Skaggs, Barria, Heaney, Tropeano,  Canning, Suarez, Meyers, Shoemaker, Ramirez. The last three would be better for the pen.  So instead of finding a reliever maybe we do need could get a premium pitcher.  

51 minutes ago, floplag said:

only you didnt cover it, you brushed it aside as if it wasnt part of the problem as if it somehow has some totally different solution, it doesnt.
The end result is that we are not 2 players away, we are 4, or 5, counting the bullpen.
Its not personal, unlike your bullshit at me.  

Uh, again the original post covered that just fine for the other 99% of people reading it.

It's not personal dude.  Your posts are just not to the level of contribution or quality I enjoy.  There is a lack of mental discipline and then of course you are very sensitive.

None of that is personal, it's just observation and I am entitled to my own observations.

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Sign Arenado after 2019.  Hopefully, Trout extends and you have 2 stars Trout and Arenado, surrounded by young homegrown talent.

Why would you do that when you could sign Machado this offseason and not throw away another season in Trouts prime?

57 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Skaggs is pitching better than Richatds.  However you are right.  If we lose Richard's we would need a replacement because Ohtani isnt pitching next year.

Next year we should have Skaggs, Barria, Heaney, Tropeano,  Canning, Suarez, Meyers, Shoemaker, Ramirez. The last three would be better for the pen.  So instead of finding a reliever maybe we do need could get a premium pitcher.  

That list turns my stomach if I am trying to build a team that has any chance in a postseason.

I see two pitchers on that list I would hand the ball to in the postseason series (Skaggs and Heaney) and both times ideally they would be my #3 starter in the postseason.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What? Are you sure you're on the right message board because it doesn't seem like you are following this thread very well. 

Look at the full context tons of fun.  I was referencing that to argue getting Machado as a rental wouldn't cost big prospects because of the market set by the JD deal.