• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are the Angels simply 2 players away?

7 minutes ago, Torridd said:

We haven't been rebuilding.

Yes we have.  Since Eppler took over we have signed one guy to a two year deal, one guy to a three year deal and one to a five year deal.  Everyone else has been brought in to hold down the fort while the young guys develop in the minor leagues.  How many players are left from before Eppler?  Albert, Trout Calhoun, Bedrosian, Skaggs, Richards, Alvarez and Heaney?  Anyone else?  So 80% roster change and no real long term contracts.  This is a rebuild, may not be conventional but it is a rebuild.  

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Agree on rentals at this point.

But I am wide open to the right move at the deadline if it secures an impact player controllable past this year.

I would be glad to swap some of the more "ready" (but lower ceiling) prospects for one firm solution to a problem.

what makes you think you can get that for what you want to pay though.  youre not getting a proper closer for a spare part.  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

I think it is funny you think I have power.  It’s ok cupcake, we don’t have to agree on everything.  

if you were the only one i was talking about, lol   no matter, we dont agree, we wont agree on this point, ive stopped bothering or caring.  

13 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Obviously, this is assuming rehab for Meyer, JC Ramirez, Middleton, and Shoemaker allow them to contribute in 2019

Middleton and Ramirez will be out next year for most if not all probably. 

Looking at the team in general it just looks so average outside of trout

thats why they should go sign Machado to a big number and trade for Degrom in the off-season you need some dawgs who are  going to make an actual difference

Degrom for Marsh Jones and Barria? 

11 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yes we have.  Since Eppler took over we have signed one guy to a two year deal, one guy to a three year deal and one to a five year deal.  Everyone else has been brought in to hold down the fort while the young guys develop in the minor leagues.  How many players are left from before Eppler?  Albert, Trout Calhoun, Bedrosian, Skaggs, Richards, Alvarez and Heaney?  Anyone else?  So 80% roster change and no real long term contracts.  This is a rebuild, may not be conventional but it is a rebuild.  

Yes they’re rebuilding the farm but not waiting around for players to pan out. I think money is the culprit here. 

If healthy, we are two lockdown relievers from being competitive.  Add one more impact hitter and we caught the Stros.

Look at this year.  We were in great shape until the blowpen started giving away games and that was with Calhoun disappearing.

I haven't looked in a week but we lost 10 games leading into 7th inning.  Four of those losses were from the Astros and Mariners.  Had we won 80% of those we would be within 3 games of the Astros and 4 games of the Mariners.

Then we have to stay healthy.  Yes there us argument that a premium starter coukd give us more depth.  However, our premium starter we signed (Ohtani) went down to ucl.  Anyone we sign can have that happen.

We need average production from RF, 3b, and 1b.  

I like both Fletcher and JMF for those roles.  I am not sold on Ward with just one year of turning into offensive phenom.

Pujols does need to consider retirement.  Someone close needs to convince to consider his legacy.

We dont need a premium starter.  We need a dominant Pen and average production from our secondary guys.  On impact bat would be nice.

16 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

2B) maybe Cozart or Fletcher

3B) maybe Cozart or Fletcher

RF) Calhoun

Where do you go from here?

The Angels will have to decide between Cozart or Fletcher for the starting line-up.  No way you have both of them starting at 2B and 3B in 2019.

The Angels will also have to do something about RF for 2019.  Calhoun is done.

4 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

The Angels will have to decide between Cozart or Fletcher for the starting line-up.  No way you have both of them starting at 2B and 3B in 2019.

If Calhoun finishes the 2018 season like he's played the last 28 days, I guarantee you he starts next season:

image.png.d163a39b0c41aa098dfcab7e219675e5.png

As for 2B and 3B, you have a group of Cozart, Fletcher, and Ward that they will likely look at.

5 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Calhoun is not acting like he's done.

Change of swing can work wonders. Let's see how long this plays out. If he has a strong second half he may be worth retaining, or be a good piece in a trade.

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

If Calhoun finishes the 2018 season like he's played the last 28 days, I guarantee you he starts next season:

image.png.d163a39b0c41aa098dfcab7e219675e5.png

As for 2B and 3B, you have a group of Cozart, Fletcher, and Ward that they will likely look at.

Those are much better numbers, but I have zero faith that he keeps this up.  I hope he proves me wrong.

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Calhoun is not acting like he's done.

Change of swing can work wonders. Let's see how long this plays out. If he has a strong second half he may be worth retaining, or be a good piece in a trade.

As I just wrote to Mulwin, his numbers have been much better since he came back from the DL; however I have zero faith he keeps this up.  I hope I'm wrong and I'll happily eat crow.

1 hour ago, dprep80 said:

Based on JDs price last year they shouldn't have to give up too much to get Machado.  He'd be a great 3 month rental.

It'll still cost us a couple of prospects during a time when we're focusing on next year. getting machado isn't worth the cost unless we can re-sign him, and there's no guarantee of that.

plus there's the whole "we already have a better guy at shortstop already" thing.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

It'll still cost us a couple of prospects during a time when we're focusing on next year. getting machado isn't worth the cost unless we can re-sign him, and there's no guarantee of that.

plus there's the whole "we already have a better guy at shortstop already" thing.

Machado is an awful defensive SS.  I'm sure his preference to play SS will change once he gets paid.

Orioles are going to be left holding the bag if they don't drop their asking price.

Simmons 3.6 fWAR

Machado 3.0 fWAR

If Machado is willing to play 3B, that 3.0 fWAR probably goes up to 3.5 - 4.

But again, you don't pay the prospect penalty now. You wait for the offseason, which gives you the opportunity to call up Ward and see how he adjust to the majors. If Ward can put up average production next year as the 3B, I"d rather pay league minimum for 2-3 WAR than $30MM for 6 WAR.

The number one priority is rebuilding the bullpen. Second priority is boosting the offense. Third priority is maybe upgrading the rotation.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Simmons 3.6 fWAR

Machado 3.0 fWAR

But again, you don't pay the prospect penalty now. You wait for the offseason, which gives you the opportunity to call up Ward and see how he adjust to the majors. If Ward can put up average production next year as the 3B, I"d rather pay league minimum for 2-3 WAR than $30MM for 6 WAR.

The number one priority is rebuilding the bullpen. Second priority is boosting the offense. Third priority is maybe upgrading the rotation.

Yep, pretty much this.  

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Simmons 3.6 fWAR

Machado 3.0 fWAR

I don’t see Machado in the Angels future. I would definitely kick the tires on Donaldson in the off season. A three or four year deal maybe ...