• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you give up on the team at this point?

Torridd

Its too early to give up, but that's tempered with the fact that we are in a terrible place right now and there is no indication that the front office plans to do anything but dumpster dive to resolve the problems. 
Its too early to make a decision that we are out of it, the next 30 days will tell the tale, but i am not optimistic.  
If we have not made significant progress it will be moot and i don't think we will without making at least some changes before that time, IE the pen. 
I'm hoping i'm wrong, but realistically, I don't think I am. 

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

Being an older guy who's endured an awful lot of seasons like this, I've reached a point where I no longer live and die with this team. I enjoy baseball and am thankful I get to watch a generational talent like Trout and see the magic of Simmons on a daily basis. I'm also thankful for the chance to see Pujols though I wish he still had some of his brilliance more often. 

Theyre clearly not going anywhere this year but I'll continue to watch because they're my team.

i look forward to them being competitive again.

Clearly? I just don't have that much faith in the Ms.

I will give up on this forum before I give up on the team... Just saying.

I am more along the lines of @Tank - although, I'm hopeful they can still do "something" this year.  I continue to watch and support because I love baseball and no longer really follow any other sports. If they fall completely out of the race, my viewing habits will probably change some (I might not watch a whole game or not watch every game, etc.).

No you don’t give up.  There’s a lot of season left.  And the problems we have now will continue to be problems next year.  Use every opportunity to make the team better.  Maybe that means jettisoning Garret Richards.  Maybe the oppptunuty is there to get Brad Hand.

i still don’t think Richards is gonna get a return worth trading him for. 

NO! A true fan never gives up. I have supported this team since December 1960, the day it was announced that Gene Autry had purchased the AL franchise of the Angels. I have followed them thru some really frustrating and dismal years. And several of those years were much worse than the present one. When the year ends I'll still be watching. Sure, I want them to win and be World Champions again, just as much as everyone else on AW wants to happen. Sadly, I just don't think it's going to happen this year, but I'll still be watching and rooting for this team right down to the last game of the season. 

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

Being an older guy who's endured an awful lot of seasons like this, I've reached a point where I no longer live and die with this team. I enjoy baseball and am thankful I get to watch a generational talent like Trout and see the magic of Simmons on a daily basis. I'm also thankful for the chance to see Pujols though I wish he still had some of his brilliance more often. 

Theyre clearly not going anywhere this year but I'll continue to watch because they're my team.

I agree.

Based on what’s left of this roster and how many games would need to be made up, it ain’t happenin’.

As a fan I will continue to watch cause I’ve see plenty worse seasons than this.

I cheer for individual accolades at this point. As a team I don't think they have what it takes to chase down even the 2nd wildcard. Perhaps some adjustments at the deadline can change that but at their current rate I don't feel like making a splash will be worth it or make the impact required with the time available.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

flop, I agree with you that there will be significant changes made to the pen and hopefully more. I just want Eppler to try and I definitely expect him to.

I want him to, but i do not expect him to, and i dont think he will do anything till its too late either way. 

Richards is due back in a week or two giving us a rotation of:

Skaggs (2.69 ERA 1.230 WHIP 150 ERA+ 8.4 H/9 2.7 BB/9 9.7 K/9 6 IP per start average)

Heaney (3.95 ERA 1.207 WHIP 102 ERA+ 8.2 H/9 2.6 BB/9 8.3 K/9 6 IP per start average)

Richards (3.42 ERA 1.288 WHIP 118 ERA+ 7.4 H/9 4.2 BB/9 10.3 K/9 5 IP per start average)

Barria (3.40 ERA 1.212 WHIP 119 ERA+ 8.4 H/9 2.5 BB/9 7.5 K/9 5 IP per start average)

Apart from the lower end of "IP per start average" for Richards and Barria, that's an incredibly consistent rotation.  

Even if Ohtani ends up not needing surgery, I imagine his innings will be limited.  Shoemaker appears done for the year and Tropeano's shoulder is a question mark at this point.

They need a 5th starter.  Two options:

Continue to see what 28 year old Pena can do for you and he can deliver something like 5IP 2-3 ER per start 

or

Promote both Jose Suarez and Griffin Canning and go back to a 6 man rotation.

Just a thought

Ohtani will come back to DH so that would help fill one of the holes in the line-up.  Another thing, since coming back from the DL, Calhoun is hitting .321 .367 OBP .938 OPS giving some hope he can at least be the 2-3 WAR level player he was prior to this season.

With Trout seemingly healed from his finger injury, the outfield can be complete again and the only areas I'd really address is 2B and 3B.

Kinsler has nearly 300 PA's and is hitting .216 .279 OBP .671 OPS from the lead-off spot...no really and, as result, the majority of his WAR is on defense.  Unless Fletcher is a total hack at 2B, install him there or at 3B and bat him 9th.  Same with Jose Miguel Fernandez at 2B or 3B in lieu of Valbuena and his .216 .261 OBP .628 OPS.  From there make the line-up:

1)  Simmons SS

2) Trout CF

3) Upton LF

4) Pujols 1B (I know, but it's Scioscia)

5) Ohtani DH

6) Calhoun RF

7) Maldonado C

8 ) Fernandez 2B/3B

9) Fletcher 3B/2B

and see how it goes

For the BP, Billy should continue to work the waiver wire trying to snag the next J.C. Ramirez with eye on trading for a piece for 2019/2020

They are still technically alive, and, until they aren't, they should be positioning themselves the best possible way to win...or at least be competitive.

I think @mulwin444 pretty much covered it. I would only add that if the Angels are still vaguely in contention in 3-4 weeks, I could see Eppler swinging a trade or two for relief help, if and only if -- as @The Boogie Man said -- it is trading away excess prospects like Cowart or, at most, second tier types like Hermosillo, Walsh, Castillo, etc.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I'm kinda of with you about the living and dying part. I'm a geezer so I've been through a lot of Angels seasons also. One thing that does gripe me though is that in recent years when we have been getting decimated with serious injuries and we do little or nothing about it. I think most would agree that before this season started it was obvious that there were a lot of question marks with our entire pitching staff. Too many starters were coming off of surgery coupled with a bullpen that was suspect and we didn't do a thing to bolster a staff that was damaged. Very disappointing. 

12.5 games behind is probably insurmountable for just about any team with only about 90 days left in the season. If they don't gain at least 3 games before the Break, i would try to sell off Kinsler, Valbuena, Calhoun, Marte, Johnson, Parker. I would even trade Upton, if a team would take on all of his contract.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I think @mulwin444 pretty much covered it. I would only add that if the Angels are still vaguely in contention in 3-4 weeks, I could see Eppler swinging a trade or two for relief help, if and only if -- as @The Boogie Man said -- it is trading away excess prospects like Cowart or, at most, second tier types like Hermosillo, Walsh, Castillo, etc.

Yeah, and if they do trade for relief help, I think at this point, they are beyond rentals and need to focus on guys they can look at for next season as well.  Some certainty in that aspect would be nice.  Also, if they are still 11 or 12 games back near July 31st, i can see them shopping Richards to contenders.  He's a free agent next season but his stuff still puts him mid-rotation on good team.  Someone like the Brewers who have no one really standing out in their rotation and could use some firepower or maybe the Cubs.

Looking forward to Ohtani DH'ing in most of the games while the ligament heals.   Ohtani >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Valnobuena.

Nine games back with 81 to play is not insurmountable, but I'm not expecting the Halos to overcome it, thanks to these injuries.

The young guys over the next couple of years, and a new coaching staff, will be re-energizing the MLB team.