• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why would Scioscia return?

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Of course he would. Yes I agree in not wasting talent. From what i'm gathering Epplers long play is to wait out the Scioscia contract. Find his own manager and bring up the youngsters. He isn't building based on current contention. While adding players like he did this year should have yielded better than a .500 record, he didn't address areas of desperate need (bullpen). Yes, saying that he wants scioscia fired is a joke, but no I do believe he will wait out the contract to actually attempt to contend.

The choice to contend or not has nothing to do with waiting out Scioscia’s contract.  It has everything to do with the state and readiness of the farm, the value of his prospects and the inability of the current roster to have any type of consistency or health.  If this team was healthy and 5 games better he would be buying very soon.  

Plenty of narratives in this thread but the answer is Scioscia has said he likes where he is at and what he is doing. If given the opportunity he would continue. 

If not then I believe he would seek out another managerial position because I don't think he feels he is done with the sport. Economics will have no bearing on that decision, he is financially secure. 

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

I rooted for the Lakers to lose so that they could keep their lottery picks and build for the future. But basketball is a totally different game.

Yeah, basketball is different in this regard. But, I stopped watching the Lakers when they started tanking. I couldn't understand the point of watching/following a team with the hopes of watching them lose--sure the draft picks are nice, but it's hard to root for your own team to lose. Sports is entertainment for me, and winning == entertainment.

3 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

The choice to contend or not has nothing to do with waiting out Scioscia’s contract.  It has everything to do with the state and readiness of the farm, the value of his prospects and the inability of the current roster to have any type of consistency or health.  If this team was healthy and 5 games better he would be buying very soon.  

I 100% agree, that is the base of my entire issue with him. In my OPINION (so no assumption of fact exists) the tinkering, the lack of urgency in lineup changes, the lack of urgency in bullpen changes, the loyalty to veterans who clearly blow to work on matchups have cost the team a handful of games already this season. Those "5" games you are saying would be here already had Scioscia simply played sound fundamental baseball. He will make his adjustments like in years past in the middle months of the season, based on past experience of making runs in the july-august and the angels will be in the hunt until the last 2 weeks of the season only to falter at the end. Its the same story year after year. I cant speak for others on here, I can only speak to what I see throughout the year and throughout years past.

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Plenty of narratives in this thread but the answer is Scioscia has said he likes where he is at and what he is doing. If given the opportunity he would continue. 

If not then I believe he would seek out another managerial position because I don't think he feels he is done with the sport. Economics will have no bearing on that decision, he is financially secure. 

I can see him coaching a team like the phillies. Which is ironic because that's what he's avoiding here. Young kids who need someone to stabilize them and play the game like he did circa 2002.

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

Ok, I will assume that statistically speaking no manager costs their team 5 games in half a season, Scioscia included.  I don’t really want to debate it to death with you, we have already done that.  

Fair enough. At the end of the day, based on your posts, we are both in the boat of not wanting him in Anaheim anymore even if that is for different reasons. I want a new face/voice/structure and philosophy in that clubhouse.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I can see him coaching a team like the phillies. Which is ironic because that's what he's avoiding here. Young kids who need someone to stabilize them and play the game like he did circa 2002.

Klentak or however you spell the name was one of the few that survived the purge of Dipoto three years ago, he didn’t quit with Servais and Dipoto.  I don’t think he is the type to hire Scioscia since he hired a front office guy to be the manager.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

I would be interested to see how successful Scioscia can be with another team...to see what was more about his coaching philosphy vs. team make-up. 

As I would be interested to see if another manager could be at .500 with the current lot of under performing and oft injured folks we get to watch each miserable day of this season.

10 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Klentak or however you spell the name was one of the few that survived the purge of Dipoto three years ago, he didn’t quit with Servais and Dipoto.  I don’t think he is the type to hire Scioscia since he hired a front office guy to be the manager.

I was speaking more so to the type of team rather than the front office. I don't follow other teams front office personnel. In comparison not literally I see him as a college vs professional coach. He's much more suited to the less flashy and big time teams which essentially is what the Angels have turned into post Pujols era. He's a players coach.

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Scioscia would be a perfect fit for the Baltimore Orioles or the NY Mets. I hope he finds work. 

59 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Of course he would. Yes I agree in not wasting talent. From what i'm gathering Epplers long play is to wait out the Scioscia contract. Find his own manager and bring up the youngsters. He isn't building based on current contention. While adding players like he did this year should have yielded better than a .500 record, he didn't address areas of desperate need (bullpen). Yes, saying that he wants scioscia fired is a joke, but no I do believe he will wait out the contract to actually attempt to contend.

But why do that? Why not do the best for the team now?

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

But why do that? Why not do the best for the team now?

Because that's what Dipoto did and turned the farm into a 24 hour fitness level talent pool. Most GM's want "their" guy. I don't imagine Eppler is any different. He's in an extremely tough spot in that he was brought in to find a balance between competing at the major league level and rebuilding a farm system. I don't think anyone here can argue with his ability to rebuild the farm. My assumption is that hes not willing to sacrifice the progress made for short term rentals. If the right piece were to be available i'm sure a top 10 prospect would be had based on what he did with Simmons. Its all conjecture at this point unless some kind of change is made.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I think he gets "promoted" to the FO in some capacity.  The ever popular consultant would be my guess.

The OP’s question....

With a lousy bullpen, a oft injured starting rotation (3 years running), a bench that has to be one of the worst in baseball, one that doesn’t make sense and hasn’t for a couple of years, a team that has a ton of one dimensional players, why would Scioscia choose to return next year?  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - 

So with that being said why would he be willing to accept some other position in the organization? Giving him a new desk in the corner office doesn’t help the bullpen. I think he becomes obsolete once he leaves the dugout. 

20 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Because that's what Dipoto did and turned the farm into a 24 hour fitness level talent pool. Most GM's want "their" guy. I don't imagine Eppler is any different. He's in an extremely tough spot in that he was brought in to find a balance between competing at the major league level and rebuilding a farm system. I don't think anyone here can argue with his ability to rebuild the farm. My assumption is that hes not willing to sacrifice the progress made for short term rentals. If the right piece were to be available i'm sure a top 10 prospect would be had based on what he did with Simmons. Its all conjecture at this point unless some kind of change is made.

But why wait to bring in his own manager?

3 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

To answer your question, I don't think he does.  He's made his legacy, won a World Series, is respected league-wide and would be a hot commodity for a team with talent who hasn't gelled yet but it looking for a good leader.  Mike has made his money, has been successful and can afford to now pick his situation.

I can see him sitting back and waiting for the for the Dodgers to come along just looking for a skipper.

Fixed

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Fixed

He may be waiting a while if that's the case.  Roberts took the Dodgers to the 7th game of the World Series in his 2nd year and has steered them from a rough start to 2018 to challenge the DBacks for the NL West division lead despite losing Seager for the season and Kershaw and Ryu for a good chunk.

His job is pretty safe.

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

He has rode out the '02 world series as far as it can go, no one cares anymore. His postseason winning pct is a complete joke, and he can't even get a team with a 180m payroll to the playoffs. Who the hell wants that to manage their ballclub?

Some people should not be offended when they are called a dumbass!

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

The OP’s question....

With a lousy bullpen, a oft injured starting rotation (3 years running), a bench that has to be one of the worst in baseball, one that doesn’t make sense and hasn’t for a couple of years, a team that has a ton of one dimensional players, why would Scioscia choose to return next year?  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - 

So with that being said why would he be willing to accept some other position in the organization? Giving him a new desk in the corner office doesn’t help the bullpen. I think he becomes obsolete once he leaves the dugout. 

follow the flow of the conversation. I specifically quoted a post and catered my response to that particular message. 

and lol @ you commenting on someone else not specifically addressing an OP's message. 

being promoted to a FO position after a long stretch as a manager, coach, etc. in the same organization happens all the time. I've never heard of someone being offered a FO position in this type of scenario turning it down because of injuries on the roster or a bad bench. 

Whether Scioscia manages this team or not is way, way down my list of priorities of things to solve for next year.

Top of the rotation quality starting pitching.  Get top heavy.

Quality bullpen with depth.

No more than ONE regular position player that is replacement level.

At least one significant high impact bat added to the lineup.

Resist the temptation to settle for below average performances from regulars just because they were homegrown.

If the Angels can do the above, I probably don't care who manages, within limits.

3 hours ago, Torridd said:

But why wait to bring in his own manager?

Because his team isn't assembled yet. Scioscia is the lame duck managing the work in progress on a guaranteed contract. No need to double your manager expenses during the rebuild.