• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why would Scioscia return?

With a lousy bullpen, a oft injured starting rotation (3 years running), a bench that has to be one of the worst in baseball, one that doesn’t make sense and hasn’t for a couple of years, a team that has a ton of one dimensional players, why would Scioscia choose to return next year?  

I know the vocal majority on here hate the guy and place a lot of blame, but think of it objectively.  If Maddon was here and this was the team he has been handed the last several years.  Would any of you be surprised if he left at the end of his contract?  

I'm hoping Eppler is refusing to address certain things so that Arte wants Scioscia to walk away. A 13-3 start got me sweating about him potentially returning but after a typical season like this I think its best for all parties involved to go in different directions. I have no personal issue with Scioscia i'm sure he's probably a great guy, I just don't think he's the best person for the job anymore.

10 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

With a lousy bullpen, a oft injured starting rotation (3 years running), a bench that has to be one of the worst in baseball, one that doesn’t make sense and hasn’t for a couple of years, a team that has a ton of one dimensional players, why would Scioscia choose to return next year?  

I know the vocal majority on here hate the guy and place a lot of blame, but think of it objectively.  If Maddon was here and this was the team he has been handed the last several years.  Would any of you be surprised if he left at the end of his contract?  

Excellent point! He has no control over all these injuries and the GM moves.

6 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

To answer your question, I don't think he does.  He's made his legacy, won a World Series, is respected league-wide and would be a hot commodity for a team with talent who hasn't gelled yet but it looking for a good leader.  Mike has made his money, has been successful and can afford to now pick his situation.

I can see him sitting back and waiting for the next "Cubs" to come along just looking for a skipper.

Just now, TroutField said:

Come on Strad, nice troll attempt. 

No.  Why would he return?  Those things I mentioned are not on him those are things that he has been handed.  If we had Maddon would you expect him to stay?  If we had Maddon and Eppler the pen would be in the same place, the injuries would still exist.  So look at it objectively.  He will have power anywhere he goes, as will Maddon, Bochy, Francona.  When you sign a guy like that has been around 19 years you understand that.  No different than Showalter or Pinella.  

8 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

No.  Why would he return?  Those things I mentioned are not on him those are things that he has been handed.  If we had Maddon would you expect him to stay?  If we had Maddon and Eppler the pen would be in the same place, the injuries would still exist.  So look at it objectively.  He will have power anywhere he goes, as will Maddon, Bochy, Francona.  When you sign a guy like that has been around 19 years you understand that.  No different than Showalter or Pinella.  

He wasn’t handed this shit.. some of the problems over the last decade where because he had too much power with decision making. Also Dipoto f’d up the entire Minor league system so we had zero talent to add to the major league team, so I get it not everything was his fault.  

This franchise is finally on the upswing and it will get even better without Mike Scioscia and his constant use of Pujols in cleanup, terrible management of the bullpen, and atrocious use of the players he has. (Not pinch hitting for Valbuena with the bases loaded when everybody knew a strikeout was coming) 

It’s just stale man, time to move on. I do appreciate everything he has done but he has just been here way too long and he refuses to put the best players on the field because of “veteran presence” and hurting feelings. The Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers would not let players like Pujols/Valbuena/Calhoun etc. clog up their lineup,  there is a reason why they are consistently in the playoffs. 

There is a reason why only four MLB managers all time have more wins with one team than Scioscia does here.    Things can get stale after a while, plus he basically began managing in a different generation.   The Halos need a new voice in the dugout.   At the same time, I thank him for his 19 seasons here and his one big contribution of clubhouse stability, although I personally think it got in the way sometimes like playing Valbuena continually despite the crappy OPS and defense.   

Now that a new wave of fresh and potentially really good talent will be making its' way to the MLB level over the next couple of seasons, a new fresh voice in the dugout would probably be the best thing. 

52 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Why would he come back? Cause he is getting paid millions to sit on his ass and write a line up card and watch the best player in possibly baseball history play the game. 

Then when his teams suck, the owner has his back. Tough life.

Yep and he can have most of that pretty much everywhere.  How many more years would he manage?  3 maybe.

57 minutes ago, TroutField said:

He wasn’t handed this shit.. some of the problems over the last decade where because he had too much power with decision making. Also Dipoto f’d up the entire Minor league system so we had zero talent to add to the major league team, so I get it not everything was his fault.  

This franchise is finally on the upswing and it will get even better without Mike Scioscia and his constant use of Pujols in cleanup, terrible management of the bullpen, and atrocious use of the players he has. (Not pinch hitting for Valbuena with the bases loaded when everybody knew a strikeout was coming) 

It’s just stale man, time to move on. I do appreciate everything he has done but he has just been here way too long and he refuses to put the best players on the field because of “veteran presence” and hurting feelings. The Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers would not let players like Pujols/Valbuena/Calhoun etc. clog up their lineup,  there is a reason why they are consistently in the playoffs. 

Every year a manager is handed a roster.  The last several years that roster has been hurt, incomplete or plain bad.  

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

He would return because no one else wants him. The angels are the only team dumb enough to employ this guy in a managing capacity.