• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deck McGuire Seems Like a Nice Young Man

There are a contingent of organizations, scouts who believe that McGuire turned a corner after the ASB last year. His spin rate and velocity supposedly improved after a tweak in his arm slot and he's using his off-speed pitches more effectively now.

We'll see. I mean he hasn't looked awful so far with the Angels, but also doesn't look like anything special on the mound.

But I do notice the Angels are taking pretty much every measure possible to not promote Jose Suarez or Griffin Canning, which tells me a couple things.

1. The Angels aren't fully committed to winning this year, because if they were, they'd both be in he rotation right now.

2. The Angels also likely believe them to be part of the future staff and would like to retain an additional season of control over them, and thus likely won't promote either Canning or Suarez until mid or late May 2019.

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

1. The Angels aren't fully committed to winning this year, because if they were, they'd both be in he rotation right now.

Whenever I see anyone and I mean anyone saying the Angels aren't "committed to winning" - I just roll my eyes.  I'm sorry, but that's just your opinion. You are fully entitled to that, but every stinking time I see someone post that (not just you) - I just shake my head.  You have no real facts to back that up.  Your statement looks like it was meant to be read as "fact" - but it's actually an opinion.  Maybe I"m nitpicking here.  If I am, I apologize.  I respect your opinion.  I really do.  But the idea that this team isn't committed to winning is just pure BS, in MY OPINION.

We need more pitchers.

Robbie Ross and Pat Light are available. 

We scored 11 runs off of them in the 7th inning in Fenway on July 2, 2016. 

Get on the phone, Billy!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS201607020.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rossro01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lightpa01.shtml

12 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Whenever I see anyone and I mean anyone saying the Angels aren't "committed to winning" - I just roll my eyes.  I'm sorry, but that's just your opinion. You are fully entitled to that, but every stinking time I see someone post that (not just you) - I just shake my head.  You have no real facts to back that up.  Your statement looks like it was meant to be read as "fact" - but it's actually an opinion.  Maybe I"m nitpicking here.  If I am, I apologize.  I respect your opinion.  I really do.  But the idea that this team isn't committed to winning is just pure BS, in MY OPINION.

The Cubs played the hold the prospects back game with Bryant, who was ready a year before they called him up. They knew they wouldn't compete for a playoff in 2014 and didn't even bring him up in September. Then they waited the three weeks to insure one more year of club control. 

Epstein is considered a genius, Eppler is being criticized for taking the same path. The team isn't really ready, just like the 2014 Cubs. 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

I'm legitimately interested in your opinion on these questions.

1. Do you believe John Lamb, Felix Pena and Deck McGuire are better right now than Jose Suarez and Griffin Canning?

2. Do you believe that Albert Pujols, and Luis Valbuena are better than Matt Thaiss, Jose Miguel Fernandez, Taylor Ward and David Fletcher? 

Obviously, I believe the answer to both these questions is unequivocally no, which is why I believe they aren't committed to winning in 2018. When you don't put out your best players on the field, you aren't completely in it to win that season.

I think the Angels are more geared toward winning in the future.

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm legitimately interested in your opinion on these questions.

1. Do you believe John Lamb, Felix Pena and Deck McGuire are better right now than Jose Suarez and Griffin Canning?

2. Do you believe that Albert Pujols, and Luis Valbuena are better than Matt Thaiss, Jose Miguel Fernandez, Taylor Ward and David Fletcher? 

Obviously, I believe the answer to both these questions is unequivocally no, which is why I believe they aren't committed to winning in 2018. When you don't put out your best players on the field, you aren't completely in it to win that season.

I think the Angels are more geared toward winning in the future.

Scotty - I have no expertise in evaluating talent.  I genuinely don't know if any of those guys are better than the other. 

That being said, I generally believe there is more to putting a baseball team together than just putting who the best players are (which is largely subjective).  I don't think any team automatically puts the best players on the field, regardless of their age, etc.  If I'm wrong - you can certainly correct me with specific examples. 

I also think some players have to take certain steps before they're ready for MLB.  You, yourself claimed Hermosillo was better than Calhoun last year - but also admit that he wasn't ready for the big leagues THIS year.  How do you reconcile that?

You also have to balance who's on the 40 man roster, etc. - because there are ramifications for taking players off of it, right?

So - I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.  I don't think it is as black and white as you are making it out to be. 

I trust you can judge talent, especially minor league talent much better than I can. I haven't even seen Suarez, Canning, Ward, or Thaiss.