• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now with Cozart out for the year...

Torridd

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

...what's the plan? Moose? Someone else? Or do we handle this internally? (:()

Eppler should reach out to his old boss and ask about Brandon Drury. He’s playing in AAA simply because there’s no room for him on the ML roster. He’s a 25 year old natural 3B who had some migraine issues earlier this season and lost his starting job to phenom rookie Andujar. I think he wants out of the Yankees organization to play at the ML level. 

I still think that any move you make has to be a move for the future.  I also probably would force the team you got to perform better before you upgrade it.  When you are rolling out Lamb and Pena every fifth day oh and soon a dude named Deck will start for us, I am thinking short term pieces should be something we stay far away from.  The only exception would be if we have a guy like Cowart who will be out of options anyway and we can move him for a guy we might possibly want to extend.

Wasting any prospect on Moose at this point isn't very smart....if we were better positioned for postseason, that would be one thing, but we're just not in the mix enough to be buyers....He'll likely be available in the offseason if you want to sign him then....

I'd like to see what Fletcher and JFM can do.....dump Kinsler if we can and see what they look like...

Moose has around a .660 OPS since May 1, no thank you.

Let Fletcher play 3B for now.   If that isn't his position, then call up Ward and see what he can do.  He's had half of a season at 3B now. 

Valnobuena has had 3 months to get started.   He can't claim an injury slowing his progress, like a year ago.   Plus, his defense is mediocre.

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

Id love to see this as an excuse to get Mous, but at this point, ive given up on it.  
I assume Fletcher can likely play 3B, and while i would rather them go that way, it probably means Valbuena and Marte in the daily lineup.  

I hope that's not the plan. Valbuena is fine off the bench, but he's already played a lot more than he should have.

17 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Wasting any prospect on Moose at this point isn't very smart....if we were better positioned for postseason, that would be one thing, but we're just not in the mix enough to be buyers....He'll likely be available in the offseason if you want to sign him then....

I'd like to see what Fletcher and JFM can do.....dump Kinsler if we can and see what they look like...

But if we do that, isn't that essentially giving up on the season? It's not even July yet.

9 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I hope that's not the plan. Valbuena is fine off the bench, but he's already played a lot more than he should have.

I agree, if it were me id plug in Fletcher at 3B and JMF at 1B and see what they have.  Valbuena and Marte are not the future of this club, those guys might be.

9 minutes ago, Torridd said:

But if we do that, isn't that essentially giving up on the season? It's not even July yet.

But thats exactly what most here want to do, even though they wont admit that is it giving up by extension. 
Perhaps that is the smart thing at this point, they certainly arent doing anything at all to suggest they have a run in them.  I know were short handed by injuries but for me last night was the perfect microcosm of this season, the team overall does enough to win, but doesnt, due to the pen giving up gopher balls late.  That is basically what we are, and thats not a playoff description.
Giving up or not giving up honestly may be moot, the team as it stands in its current state may simply not be good enough to matter.   

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

But thats exactly what most here want to do, even though they wont admit that is it giving up by extension. 
Perhaps that is the smart thing at this point, they certainly arent doing anything at all to suggest they have a run in them.  I know were short handed by injuries but for me last night was the perfect microcosm of this season, the team overall does enough to win, but doesnt, due to the pen giving up gopher balls late.  That is basically what we are, and thats not a playoff description.
Giving up or not giving up honestly may be moot, the team as it stands in its current state may simply not be good enough to matter.   

But flop, it doesn't have to be that way if they shore up the bullpen, maybe with two guys. 

7 minutes ago, Torridd said:

But flop, it doesn't have to be that way if they shore up the bullpen, maybe with two guys. 

I agree, ive been ranting about that for a long time now, it was my #1 off season priority.  But, in a year and a half now weve seen no indication they plan to do that so... unless the priorities change away from clean peanuts and cast offs, the results arent going to change either. 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

July starts Sunday so you have to decide where you are soon....Eppler went right up to the deadline before he decided we were (sort of) Sellers last year....

24 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree, ive been ranting about that for a long time now, it was my #1 off season priority.  But, in a year and a half now weve seen no indication they plan to do that so... unless the priorities change away from clean peanuts and cast offs, the results arent going to change either. 

Yet last year the bullpen was pretty darn good, not dominating but not a weakness either.  So it isn’t a year and a half it is 3 months.  

Moose makes some sense in that he'd fill a lot of needs next year- 3B, left handed power, reasonable contract - and he'd be fairly easy to get/retain be it trade or re-sign. 

But also, what incentive is there to get him if the season is lost? Save prospect, get Fletcher, Ward, and JMF playing time to see what they're like, and sign him in the winter if you feel he's needed.

If we acquire anyone this deadline, they better be a long-term controllable arm - maybe a stud OF.

37 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yet last year the bullpen was pretty darn good, not dominating but not a weakness either.  So it isn’t a year and a half it is 3 months.  

No, it isnt. 
Eppler has followed the clean peanut/castoff strategy all of last season and into this one in regards to the bullpen.  He may have gotten lucky last year but it doesn't change the fact that the approach was flawed and unchanged.   Luck doesnt equal validation.
Many of us saw thru that, or we would not have been calling for a better pen this year. 

Moustakas' low OPS would make a lot of people on AW crazy.   HIs career OPS is 91 points lower than Upton's and many don't think he's good enough.  Moustakas' OPS is lower this year too.  His career OBP is only .306. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

No, it isnt. 
Eppler has followed the clean peanut/castoff strategy all of last season and into this one in regards to the bullpen.  He may have gotten lucky last year but it doesn't change the fact that the approach was flawed and unchanged.   Luck doesnt equal validation.
Many of us saw thru that, or we would not have been calling for a better pen this year. 

If it worked last year and players he had last year are having success this year on other teams it doesn’t mean it is flawed it means these players aren’t performing.  You are the one calling it luck because you want to discredit it based on this year.  Also your way of solving the pen was to get guys in free agency.  Good luck guessing which ones those will be.  You should probably read that article.  

13 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

If it worked last year and players he had last year are having success this year on other teams it doesn’t mean it is flawed it means these players aren’t performing.  You are the one calling it luck because you want to discredit it based on this year.  Also your way of solving the pen was to get guys in free agency.  Good luck guessing which ones those will be.  You should probably read that article.  

The players are not the question, his approach is.  Did he change his approach, no.  End of discussion.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

The players are not the question, his approach is.  Did he change his approach, no.  End of discussion.  

Ok, so if his approach was to sign free agents and that didn’t work (since it hasn’t worked for most teams this past off season that went with that approach) should he go back to what worked in 2017?  End of discussion again.  

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Moose makes some sense in that he'd fill a lot of needs next year- 3B, left handed power, reasonable contract - and he'd be fairly easy to get/retain be it trade or re-sign. 

But also, what incentive is there to get him if the season is lost? Save prospect, get Fletcher, Ward, and JMF playing time to see what they're like, and sign him in the winter if you feel he's needed.

If we acquire anyone this deadline, they better be a long-term controllable arm - maybe a stud OF.

My takw, and sorry for being a broken record on this, is get him this year for peqnuts (i cant imagine the asking price will be huge) just to see if he even makes sense here. If he continues to hit like crap, isnt liked by the team or something like that, hes gone in 3 months.

Theres already warning signs with his bat...id rather give him a look for 3 months before committing to multiple years this winter.