• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hermosillo

58 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm not coming on anything.

Also, it's only used to illuminate a greater picture, which is we don't write off young prospects after their first taste of pro ball. 

This game is hard and the difference between AAA and the majors is HUGE.

No one is comparing Herm to Trout.

but you kinda did.  trying to say that you shouldn't write off trout is not the same as saying you shouldn't write of Hermosillo.  

don't get me wrong, I'm not writing him off but using Trout as a reason not to isn't going to foster credibility.  

Maybe Calhoun's first taste in 2012 at age 24 is a better example.  Even that is a stretch to be honest.  He's Calhoun best case. 

I think this is further proof that the Angels system really is not that deep.  We have a few nice players in the top 10 but the drop off for viable major league talent is severe.  To be clear, it’s a vast improvement because.  Like I like to make fun.  It wasn’t that long ago that literally Kyle Kubitza was one of our top “prospects”

the Angels have to tread carefully in trades. 

I understand it's different in every case, but here's how I generally see it playing out.

Prep Bats: Drafted at 18, make the majors by 23. Higher ceiling typically, but will usually need an adjustment period. Likely won't be successful until 24 or 25.

Collegiate bats: Drafted at 21, will make the majors around 24. More polished, less adjustments needed, should be solid performers at 25.

That's a very general guideline. The best collegiate bats make it by 23 and are stars at 24 and the best prep bats make it at 21 usually and are stars at 22. 

Hermosillo isn't a star. But I think when he's 25, he'll be a starting caliber major league OF. He'll head back to AAA soon and work in some things, maybe log a couple starts in September. Next year, his age 24 year he'll know more about what to expect, the game will slow down for him. He'll dominate AAA and log some time in the majors toward the end of the season and show growth.

His age 25 season it'll be clear he's outgrown AAA, and will find himself being a pretty decent starting OF somewhere in the majors. Like .260/.340 10-15 HR and 20-30 SB type.

I agree he needs more time in AAA but I still like his skillset as a potential 4th outfielder, and a good one at that. Outfielders by major league readiness:

2019: Hermosillo, (Adell?)

2020: Adell, Marsh

2021: Hunter

2022: Adams, Deveaux, Knowles

So he gets more seasoning in AAA this year, but at some point next year--even on Opening Day--he could be the 4th outfielder, and for a few years until one of Hunter, Adams, Deveaux, or Knowles supplants him in 2022 or 2023.  

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think this is further proof that the Angels system really is not that deep.  We have a few nice players in the top 10 but the drop off for viable major league talent is severe.  To be clear, it’s a vast improvement because.  Like I like to make fun.  It wasn’t that long ago that literally Kyle Kubitza was one of our top “prospects”

the Angels have to tread carefully in trades. 

are you saying the farm isn't deep because there isn't a replacement for every position waiting in the minors?  

Just now, Dochalo said:

are you saying the farm isn't deep because there isn't a replacement for every position waiting in the minors?  

I’m saying it’s not deep because we don’t have a replacement for hardly any of the positions. 

Barria, maybe Fletcher, maybe Briceno.  The end.