• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Most disappointing season since 95

stormngt

I am usually very positive about our chances.  However I have to say it looks like this is going to be the most disappointing season for me since callopse of 1995.

During the last decade we either did not have the personal to compete, debilitating injuries before the season or had disastrous April's in which the team would get better as season got better giving me hope.

This year we our off season built up expectations and our 13-3 start would build the excitement.  Even when we struggled in May p had hope because we were playing a strong schedule and believed we could stay in contention until a trade for a closer.  

However, unlike past teams we seem to be playing worse baseball as this season goes on.  Yes, we have had the injuries again this season, but in past we would find some replacements who would do well for a short period of time that kept us in contention.  We are now losing to bad teams and still being punked by Boston and Yanks.  This years injury bug and blowpen seems to be taking the life out of this team!

6 hours ago, stormngt said:

I am usually very positive about our chances.  However I have to say it looks like this is going to be the most disappointing season for me since callopse of 1995.

During the last decade we either did not have the personal to compete, debilitating injuries before the season or had disastrous April's in which the team would get better as season got better giving me hope.

This year we our off season built up expectations and our 13-3 start would build the excitement.  Even when we struggled in May p had hope because we were playing a strong schedule and believed we could stay in contention until a trade for a closer.  

However, unlike past teams we seem to be playing worse baseball as this season goes on.  Yes, we have had the injuries again this season, but in past we would find some replacements who would do well for a short period of time that kept us in contention.  We are now losing to bad teams and still being punked by Boston and Yanks.  This years injury bug and blowpen seems to be taking the life out of this team!

I disagree, Storm. I would just like some help from the GM even if those moves don't result on the field.Give the team a chance to right the ship.

7 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Shades of 2012.

Monster off season, then fall flat on our faces.

In all fairness this year doesnt compare to the flop of 2012.  Many felt Wilson addition was going to give us the best pitching staff in the league and Pujols was going to be a stud.

The reason why this year is a bigger disappointment is the fact that 2012 played good baseball after the disastrous first month.

This year is opposite.  Great start but we are playing worse.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm gonna have to disagree.  

2012 was the 2002 team without a bullpen.  We were an offensive juggernaut that year.  

And why are you so disappointed about this year? We've been an 85 win team the whole time.  

13-3 start plus the fact it appears we are not getting better.  One of the things I have always liked about Scioscia's teams is that they usually get better as the season progresses.  It's the opposite this year.

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

13-3 start plus the fact it appears we are not getting better.  One of the things I have always liked about Scioscia's teams is that they usually get better as the season progresses.  It's the opposite this year.

Why is that? No improvement in the bullpen or lineup and injuries to a lesser extent. A lot of people want to DFA Valbuena,, but I think he's very capable but not starting 4-5 times a week. Young nor Hermasillo should be starting. Couple that with the seesaw performances of Calhoun, Kinsler, and Pujols, it's not unclear why we're struggling for runs.

8 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

A conservative estimate says that bad luck has cost the Angels 10 games this year. Basic math says that means they finish with 92 wins. Any kind of makeup luck in the 2nd half and they fnish with 95-100. 

I'll take it.

Optimistic, but I don't know if that math is realistic.It CAN be done, if we get bullpen help and hitters start hitting as they had been.

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

But we’re better than last season

I know you're being a tad sarcastic but they are and from the perspective of organizational health, they are a world better than we were last year.   

50 minutes ago, stormngt said:

What Doc is saying is they are playing to their talent level, 13-3 was an illusion and this pen is as bad as it seems.   They remain an 85 team win potential team.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Why is that? No improvement in the bullpen or lineup and injuries to a lesser extent. A lot of people want to DFA Valbuena,, but I think he's very capable but not starting 4-5 times a week. Young nor Hermasillo should be starting. Couple that with the seesaw performances of Calhoun, Kinsler, and Pujols, it's not unclear why we're struggling for runs.

Maybe I am giving you guys too much credit. The Angel's are starting to tank!  And it's more than injuries.  I have never seen a Scioscia team tank like this.  Yes I have seen them have terrible April's but his team always got better in the long haul.  I dont see that happening this year.  We are getting worse.  I dont mind the loss to Boston, but losing 5 of 8 games to the A's, Blue Jay's, and Royals is different.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Maybe I am giving you guys too much credit. The Angel's are starting to tank!  And it's more than injuries.  I have never seen a Scioscia team tank like this.  Yes I have seen them have terrible April's but his team always got better in the long haul.  I dont see that happening this year.  We are getting worse.  I dont mind the loss to Boston, but losing 5 of 8 games to the A's, Blue Jay's, and Royals is different.

I understand that, but I don't think it's too late if Eppler gets the team some help. Unfortunately, I think he's going to wait for the health assessments (Ohtani, Richards, Cozart, Johnson) and then make a move if necessary. I just don't know how much time the team has before it's too late though.

2005 will always be one of the most disappointing; especially the way it ended.

AJ PIerzynski... Josh Paul...  Doug Eddings... 

It haunts me to this day.  That one play changed everything. They never recovered.  I was certain they were going to the WS that year. 

lol we're 41-39

I wouldn't put the season in the refrigerator with the lights out, the doors closed, eggs cooling, and the butter getting hard quite yet. Yeah we have been slowly fading towards under .500 territory, but at least we aren't the Rangers, Orioles or the Royals.

Edited by John Taylor

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why the sudden change of heart Storm? 

Angels are right in line with expectations, at least for me. This is the same team we saw in ST. The hot start was fun to watch but this is a .500 ball club.

First we have always outperformed expectations.   I felt the preseason win predictions (which I feel are bullshit predictions anyway) under valued our improvements.

Second, why my change of heart? I have always been a fan of Scioscia because almost always over achieve and always get better as the season progresses.   

30 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know you're being a tad sarcastic but they are and from the perspective of organizational health, they are a world better than we were last year.   

What Doc is saying is they are playing to their talent level, 13-3 was an illusion and this pen is as bad as it seems.   They remain an 85 team win potential team.

The 13-3 was not an illusion.  We were beating up bad teams.  We are not beating up bad teams now.  They are beating us up now.

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It haunts me to this day.  That one play changed everything. They never recovered.  I was certain they were going to the WS that year. 

Get really argue, but the disappointment was due to a bad call in the ALCS.  This year disappointment is the entire season.

1 hour ago, John Taylor said:

lol we're 41-39

I wouldn't put the season in the refrigerator with the lights out, the doors closed, eggs cooling, and the butter getting hard quite yet. Yeah we have been slowly fading towards under .500 territory, but at least we aren't the Rangers, Orioles or the Royals.

Not being the Rangers Orioles or Royals does not diminish the disappointment 

For me, its certainly the most frustrating in the sense that this is a team that should be better than it is, and appears to have no interest in fixing the problems.
I had such high hopes going in, and such a slap in the face of the reality of it especially in recent days.  Ive stopped watching for now, its not worth the irritation.

33 minutes ago, True Grich said:

If there was ever a year to win title #2 , 2005 was it

we would have smashed Houston in 4 games