• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Former Angels prospect John Hellweg headed to Japan

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Wasnt he one of our "better" prospects not long ago? I assume he was "better" because how bad our farm was for so long.

He was one of the two pitching suspects sent packing in exchange for Greinke.   

In 30 MLB innings he walked 26 and stuck out 9.   Career minor league BB/9 of 6.3 -- over 11 years -- K/9 rate of 6.7 in four AAA seasons.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

He was one of the two pitching suspects sent packing in exchange for Greinke.   

In 30 MLB innings he walked 26 and stuck out 9.   Career minor league BB/9 of 6.3 -- over 11 years -- K/9 rate of 6.7 in four AAA seasons.

Thanks, I knew he was from that era. Its been awhile, but i think i remember reading his name on here and people arguing if it was a mistake to trade him.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/pirates-release-johnny-hellweg-japan-npb.html

Bummer because this guy could've really helped the Angels bullpen this season. Great fastball and breaking ball, and a nice guy to boot. Met him and his family in Arizona, good people.

How could he have helped the bullpen this season if he's not good enough to stick in the MLB?

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

7  year veteran Chris Bootcheck.

My favorite part about his career was when he hurt himself running in from the bullpen during the Jason Kendall/John Lackey fight

Forever immortalized on his Wikipedia bio.

Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels

On May 2, 2006, Bootcheck was hurt while running from the bullpen to the mound during the Angels' brawl with the Oakland Athletics. He was placed on the disabled list with a hamstring injury and missed most of the season.

26 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah Hellweg is from a couple eras back in terms of our farm system.  As part of a package deal, he was part of the beginning of the emptying of our farm system. Good numbers in AAA this year. He seems to have rediscovered himself as a pitcher.

Then why is he going to Japan?

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

Then why is he going to Japan?

Lots of reasons. Speaking with friends and teammates that chose to play internationally versus the minor leagues, money played a big role. Rather than making $1600 a month and riding the bus for hours to play in half empty fields, they go across the ocean to make a half million or million, and get to refine their craft before coming back stateside.

Sometimes, teams will favor a good performance in Korea or Japan over a good performance in AA. Plus it's more lucrative signing a major league deal as a FA.

Miles Mikolas is the most recent example. Eric Thames too.