• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long do you think the Angels have?

Torridd

Seattle becomes legitimate as time passes. If the Angels cant start gaining ground while Seattle plays its tougher opponents then you have to assume that nothing significant will be done during the trade deadline.

I don't put their chances at very high to make the playoffs. If they are within 6-7 games by the deadline they need to make a push for  a couple relievers and while including Valbuena in one of those moves.

4 minutes ago, Torridd said:

If you still think they have a chance to be in the playoffs this year, realistically when do you think our chances evaporate? What changes need to be made? Do you think Seattle is legitimate?

It’s a tough question because we play the team we’re chasing 13 more times.  I’d hate to have to try to pick up more than 2 games a month in the standings.   So I guess I’d say anything over 6 games out of it after July 1st.  

Being 6 games back of the M's with over half the season left is nothing.  But we're not going anywhere with our current pen.  I mentioned in another thread that it's a bit of a catch-22.  We've got to get closer to them before I'd be willing to make any sort of outlay yet that's gonna be tough without the ability to hold leads and keep the offense in the game.  

The teams are pretty even overall with both having their holes.  But we've spotted them six games.  

For me, it's simply logic and hope. 

Logic says the Mariners aren't nearly this good. They've had everything break right for them so far abd they just aren't a very good team. Decent offense, but crap starting pitching and a crap, yet overperforming bullpen. By contrast, the Angels are a slightly better team than this. The offense should be average or better, and currently they're crap. The starting pitching is this good, and it has been for a while, it's just been unhealthy, that's all. And the bullpen is crap and is underperforming right now, which is to say they're performing worse than crap.

So logic says the M's are going to tail off the second half and the Angels will get stronger in the second half.

And then there's hope. I hope the offense improves because Cozart is going to hit better than he did in April and May, Calhoun has turned the corner, Young is a legitimate 4th OF and Kinsler has rounded into form. You might even say that logically, most of that will come true, but for right now, it's hope.

I hope Richards and Ohtani return and our starting pitching will be that much better. Ohtani's return undoubtedly helps the offense too.

And finally, I hope Eppler's makes a couple of savvy moves and improves the bullpen before the deadline. I like the McGuire move and think it can pay dividends.

So based on these, I think the Angels win 88 games and the M's win 87.

the other important thing is that right now, there's no one in their way of catching seattle.  As @The Boogie Man mentioned, we play them 13 more times.  But most importantly, we can keep oakland at bay (get it?) by beating them.  Tor and Tampa have to play a lot of boston and the yanks.  Det and Minny aren't likely going anywhere.  But we have to play better.  

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

And the reward will be to face Chris Sale or Luis Severino.

allow me . . . 

On June 23, 2018 at 6:34 AM, arch stanton said:

I like to reminisce about that out  Severino got in last year's wild card game before getting yanked in the 1st inning.  Good times

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

If you still think they have a chance to be in the playoffs this year, realistically when do you think our chances evaporate? What changes need to be made? Do you think Seattle is legitimate?

When Seattle reachers their magic number....which stands at 80.

Ok kidding it should be based how many games we have against Seattle.

47 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Being 6 games back of the M's with over half the season left is nothing.  But we're not going anywhere with our current pen.  I mentioned in another thread that it's a bit of a catch-22.  We've got to get closer to them before I'd be willing to make any sort of outlay yet that's gonna be tough without the ability to hold leads and keep the offense in the game.  

The teams are pretty even overall with both having their holes.  But we've spotted them six games.  

Bingo!

Sea isnt this good, we are not this bad, one or both of those things should even out.

I agree with those who say as the deadline approaches the decision will get made, but i differ in that i feel if we wait that long the decision will be academic and already made. 

The bullpen must get fixed, yesterday, or we will not gain ground fast enough and come the deadline we will take a step backwards.   We simply cant keep losing about half the games we should win.   Theres just over 5 weeks to the deadline, how many games can the pen give away in that time?  the answer is too many. 

6 games at this point in the season is far from insurmountable, 6 games at the end of July is an excuse to do nothing.  

I think we will know whether the Angels are in this by the all-star break (July 15th). We will have played the Mariners nine times by then. We will have also played the Dodgers six times (who are playing really good) and the Red Sox. 

Of course, it's possible that they could fall out sooner than that. While we play the Red Sox, the Mariners play the Orioles. When we move on to BALT, the Mariner's play the statistically worst team in baseball, KC. It could be REALISTICALLY (not mathematically) over after the next seven games, if we lose three or more games in that span. We dont want to be in a position to have to win 7 of 9 against the Mariners just to get back in this.

Then, later on, when we are playing the Dodgers, the Mariners are playing the Rockies. Rockies have been fading for about the last three weeks.

The next three weeks will make or break the Angels season. So, Eppler will have two weeks to be a buyer or a seller before the deadline.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Not really. 

Mariners pen: 4.00 ERA

Angels pen: 3.92 ERA. 

Fair point, to qualify....M's late innings guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halos late innings guys.

Bradford, Pazos, and Diaz have excellent WHIPs, ERAs, and Ks/BBs ratios.    The Halos have........................maybe Parker.