• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Relief Pitching

So I was just looking at some stats and obviously take these with a grain of salt, but here you go.  The Angels bullpen has allowed 25 inherited runners to score.  Only the Yankees, Nationals, Astros and Padres have allowed fewer.  

This is the one that surprised me even more.  We are tied with the Padres at allowing the smallest percentage of inherited runners to score, we are at 20%.  

I am not trying to sell to anyone that we have a good pen, but more so that sometimes as fans it feels worse than it is, especially when compared to other teams.  

Not sure what the point of this is, but I found it interesting.  Maybe someone like @Dochalo could figure out if this would add maybe some credence to allowing the starting pitcher to go out to start another inning and not worry as much about having a reliever come into to start an inning clean.

Honestly, the Angels bullpen has probably been about average, all things considered.

The blown saves figure is a little misleading because those can happen in the 6th inning and a lot of times when you have one you still win the game. 

The Mariners have 14 and the Angels have 15.

Otherwise, some of the stats are good and some of them are bad. 

No one ever says anything or even remembers when they pitch well. 

This is not to say the bullpen couldn’t use some help. They could. I think it’s not that hard to find two relievers in July and that can make a huge difference. 

The 2014 bullpen was pretty bad in the first half. Then they got Huston Street and Jason Grilli and Kevin Jepsen (who had been mediocre up to that point) became unhittable. They went from having one reliable reliever (Smith) to having four.

Just now, arch stanton said:

I think our problem has more to do with lack of a strong back end who can reliably hold leads

I thought so too, then I looked and we have 1 more blown save than Seattle.  We suck at save percentage which I have heard is an awful stat.  

no they put the runners on and let them score  :)  

Seriously though, i havent researched this and i could be wrong, but my perception is that me dont make as many mid inning changes as other teams.  Most of ours are between innings, not mid, thus a low number of inherited runner. 

Most of our blowups feel like walk walk 3 run bomb to open an inning. 

Again i could be wrong, but i think without knowing that its hard to evaluate this stat. 

13 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

All leads aren’t save situations 

After the 5th inning they are if you change pitchers.  If you are up 5 runs and you bring a guy in and he gives up a run in the sixth then you later lose the game it is a blown save isn’t it?  

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

no they put the runners on and let them score  :)  

Seriously though, i havent researched this and i could be wrong, but my perception is that me dont make as many mid inning changes as other teams.  Most of ours are between innings, not mid, thus a low number of inherited runner. 

Most of our blowups feel like walk walk 3 run bomb to open an inning. 

Again i could be wrong, but i think without knowing that its hard to evaluate this stat. 

Yea, this is what it felt like to me too flop, where we don’t make as many mid inning pitching changes, but our pen has inherited the 7th most amount of runners this year in MLB.

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

I thought so too, then I looked and we have 1 more blown save than Seattle.  We suck at save percentage which I have heard is an awful stat.  

I never understood why save percentage is a bad stat.

You come in the game with the lead.  Isn't your job supposed to be that you end the game with the lead?

The Angels have used 11 different starting pitchers. The bullpen 14 different arms and it's barely mid season. There will be more.

The Angels have been involved in 76 games.

The starters have contributed 404.2 innings which comes to 5.1 innings per start.

The relievers have logged 282 innings of work. 

There have been some long games produced by the starters but way too many games where the relief corps has been pitching in the 4th. This is exposing your least productive pitchers too many times and often in higher leverage situations than the starting staff and people wonder why the bullpen sucks?  

This is wrong. This is not successful baseball in practice. 

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

After the 5th inning they are if you change pitchers.  If you are up 5 runs and you bring a guy in and he gives up a run in the sixth then you later lose the game it is a blown save isn’t it?  

I truly didnt think it was that high, i guess i was wrong. 
So, inherited 7th most, and allowed 5th most... interesting.  All thinss being equal if they inherit 7th most they should have allowed 7th most, but they moved up 2 spots, so they have definitely under performed regardless of how you look at it i suppose.  

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Or maybe the offense since they are the ones responsible for winning the game.

This is dumb. Bullpen blows a 5-3 lead in the 9th, offense fails to score in the 10th and then gives a walkoff HR.

Edge: offense

Edited by tdawg87

Some facts...

The Angels have 15 blown saves in 14 games. They are 5-9 in those games.

6 of the blown saves were in the 9th or extra innings.

In 10 of the blown saves, the pitcher who blew the save was charged with 1 or 0 runs.

3.86 ERA (14th in MLB)

1.385 WHIP (21st),

9.4 K/9 (9th)

.753 OPS (21st)

20% inherited runners scored (T1st)

57% sv pct (28th)

Leading after 6: 35-6 (.854), MLB (.870), 1 game worse than average

Leading after 7: 36-7 (.837), MLB (.907), 3 games worse than average

Leading after 8: 38-4 (.905) MLB (.955), 2 games worse than average