• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dear Dipoto & Scioscia, SHAKE THINGS UP

Chuck

Don't make a move for 2013.

Lets shake things up by giving Scioscia another ten year extension (sarcasm off).

Look people, if you have the worst farm system in baseball and encounter a ton if injuries this is what happens. This isn't really the fault of the manager or DiPoto. This is the fault of Arte, Reagins/Scioscia era where they failed to spend $$ on prospects like a big market team -- or Like Texas.

The Angels are not going to shop Bourjos.  They are high on him.

Now, if some team comes to the Angels for Bourjos and they have some incredible offer for him, he might get traded that way.  The Angels are not going to shop him themselves.

Agree about the lineup somewhat.  Move Trout back to leadoff.  If you don't have a guy that can get on base in front of him, get him as many plate appearances as possible.  He isn't a prototypical leadoff hitter and your middle of the order guys aren't hitting well, but it isn't like the team is going to catch fire with Trout batting third behind any combination of players you'd hit 1-2.  

Fine with Hamilton second, but not with Kendrick third.  

Bottom line is the order doesn't matter that much.  You are splitting hairs at some point.  One game can make a difference, though. 

Good luck trading for young pitching.  Your best bet is probably a guy in A ball... like the one the Angels dealt last year. Roach is struggling a bit in AA, though.  That's why those guys might be available.  They usually have a ways to go.   Then again, you may hit the jackpot with a Skaggs or Corbin.  Not like the Angels have any chips to get guys like that, though.  They are in a tough spot. 

I'd get Richards back into the rotation and keep him there after Hanson comes back.  

I'd give Maronde another shot at starting a few games as long as he is in the minors.  He is doing better in AA lately, despite the pesky walk totals. You can always go back to relieving. He didn't walk many batters as a starter. 

There really isn't much they can do.  For one thing, it's May.  Teams aren't making moves now.  Not a good idea for the Angels to make drastic moves either.  They can still get back in it. They need Pujols and Hamilton to hit.  They need Weaver back.  The rotation has come around.  Even Blanton has been ok lately.  Get Burnett and Madson back and you have a team that can make a run.  

It's interesting that everyone agrees that we came into the season with a suspect bullpen and little to no depth and we had a rotation that was short of quality pitchers with little depth. Then we lose a couple of key pitchers in both the rotation and the bullpen, are forced to bring up pitchers that don't belong at this level due to lack of depth and when they pitch like crap we cry for the pitching coaches head because he was unable to turn mediocre to poor pitchers into quality arms.

Nope, he has only taken mediore and poor arms and turned them into complete crap.

Bourjos is a slightly better CF than Trout.

Bourjos is a much better LF than Trout. (Trout is not a very good LF)

Having two elite centerfielders means that one must necessarily be underitilized. Problem here is that Trout seems to be out of his element moving to LF, and has a difficult time performing offensively when he's not playing his preferred position. Cabrera moving out of his preferred defensive position to make room for Prince Fielder, without losing a step offensively, is a valid argument for why he should have won MVP.

Note: I can post videos if people disagree

So Cabrera did the tigers a favor by becoming the worst fielding third baseman in MLB? Right.

I have a feeling (completely unstubstantiated) that if Bourjos could have yielded a good, young arm with lots of upside/potential...he would already have been traded.

Maybe, just maybe, he isnt worth that.

He may be, but he didn't play much last year and, when he did, he didn't do well.   So, his trade value was down. Hanging on to him was a good thing.  

Bourjos is a slightly better CF than Trout.

Bourjos is a much better LF than Trout. (Trout is not a very good LF)

Having two elite centerfielders means that one must necessarily be underitilized. Problem here is that Trout seems to be out of his element moving to LF, and has a difficult time performing offensively when he's not playing his preferred position. Cabrera moving out of his preferred defensive position to make room for Prince Fielder, without losing a step offensively, is a valid argument for why he should have won MVP.

Note: I can post videos if people disagree

Last year, when Trout played LF (138 ab's), he hit .326/.395/.645/.1.040   

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8861/situational;_ylt=AludbMaG5kzYuqsoCHfQ0P6FCLcF?year=2012&type=Batting

He may be, but he didn't play much last year and, when he did, he didn't do well.   So, his trade value was down. Hanging on to him was a good thing.  

I agree with you completely...that may have been a reason (and still may be a reason).  Dipoto should be smart enough to know you dont sell low when you are desperate.

Nobody knows what offers were on the table for Bourjos.

Sure...no one knew what was on the table, or even if there were any.

My point was (and Scott T alluded to it as well) Bourjos hasnt done a whole lot to warrant him being able to bring back a decent return on a trade.  That was my only point.

I also think 'shaking things up' is one of the last gasps of a dying team in a downward tailspin.

At this point yeah, it's too late to shake things up. Should have done it before the season started. I hate to keep bringing it up because it's history now, but this rotation was doomed from the beginning and whoever didn't see them failing was banking on hope and a prayer.

Ya because our team ERA is sparkling and every free agent pitcher that has come here in the past 6 years has been a huge success

No one made a claim that the ERA was good or anything remotely close to that statement. 

Almost every FA pitcher that has come here the last 6 years has performed right in the range their career trends would indicate. 

I see the point in Boujos in CF, but at some point you gotta throw the marginally better D out the window, when Trout moves to CF and starts to rake. Baseball is about streaks and superstition and continuity. Just leave Trout in CF. Also I think Trout is safer in CF. no LF wall in foul territory to slide into (we've seen one injury there already and Trout got close to it) and no chain link bullpen fence for trout to slam into. Protect the investment! And Id personally rather see Bourjos arm in LF, seems like more plays there require the long throw to home that Trout can't handle.

Agree about the lineup somewhat.  Move Trout back to leadoff.  If you don't have a guy that can get on base in front of him, get him as many plate appearances as possible.  He isn't a prototypical leadoff hitter and your middle of the order guys aren't hitting well, but it isn't like the team is going to catch fire with Trout batting third behind any combination of players you'd hit 1-2.  

Fine with Hamilton second, but not with Kendrick third.  

Bottom line is the order doesn't matter that much.  You are splitting hairs at some point.  One game can make a difference, though. 

Good luck trading for young pitching.  Your best bet is probably a guy in A ball... like the one the Angels dealt last year. Roach is struggling a bit in AA, though.  That's why those guys might be available.  They usually have a ways to go.   Then again, you may hit the jackpot with a Skaggs or Corbin.  Not like the Angels have any chips to get guys like that, though.  They are in a tough spot. 

I'd get Richards back into the rotation and keep him there after Hanson comes back.  

I'd give Maronde another shot at starting a few games as long as he is in the minors.  He is doing better in AA lately, despite the pesky walk totals. You can always go back to relieving. He didn't walk many batters as a starter. 

There really isn't much they can do.  For one thing, it's May.  Teams aren't making moves now.  Not a good idea for the Angels to make drastic moves either.  They can still get back in it. They need Pujols and Hamilton to hit.  They need Weaver back.  The rotation has come around.  Even Blanton has been ok lately.  Get Burnett and Madson back and you have a team that can make a run.  

I'm sorry, but you've apparently been watching a different Blanton from the one I've been seeing if you think he's been 'ok' lately.