• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

7 surprise sellers...

floplag

I would be thrilled if the Angels were to be seller's.... instead of buyer's for example Greinke for Segura who is currently hitting .334 playing middle infield for the Mariners.

If we could get a decent return for Richards and get rid of some of the crappy contracts such as Valbuena or Calhoun or Cozart that would be awesome. Free up money and play the young guys and make a huge run in 2019.

Although if we can do a Upton or Simmons trade that would be cool.

52 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I think there is almost no chance we are sellers.  I mean I guess if we are well under .500 and the Mariners start wining again.  But if we are within 5 or so games we aren’t selling.  

If the Angels are sellers, I would not just be surprised, I would be seriously pissed.  I still think the Angels can still make the playoffs.

we're sellers.

the Halos injuries may have saved Scioscia's job again this year.

Richards is are most saleable commodity (in terms of who Halos are willing to trade -- that means the core of  team, Trout, Simmons, Maldonado and Ohtani - are off limits. Probably Upton and his big contract as well - no one will want to take that contract on)......our pen has imploded in the past month so I don't think anyone would want any of those guys, Bedrosian, Parker, etc.  some of our other rotation guys could be trade bait.

Kinsler could go - but we're not going to get much in return.

Calhoun was once a prime guy for a deadline deal but unless he heats up with the bat (and he's seemed to be weaker on D in RF lately, too) - I don't see takers and if there is interest, we're just not going to get much in return.

I'm really not one to overreact when the team is playing well, or buy into the idea of an expansive teardown, but with Ward, Thaiss, Rengifo, Hermosillo, Canning, Fletcher and Suarez so close, arguably big-league ready, and Adell, Marsh, Jones maybe a year behind them...I actually could believe a scenario where Eppler throws up his hands for this season and next and sells a couple major pieces to enhance the next two year's worth of incoming prospects. 

Richards is probably good for a Willie Calhoun-type prospect, perhaps Keston Hiura, and you could slot Canning or Suarez into his rotation slot next season. 
Maldonado is a FA, but he doesn't have much in terms of an in-house replacement. Briceno has been intriguing, but no way do I hand him the keys to the staff yet, maybe ever. 
A contender with IF issues may take a flier on Kinsler, perhaps Boston if Pedroia's health doesn't improve. 
You won't get a whole lot for the last two, but what sort of haul could you get for...
Simmons? He probably nets you three or four legitimate prospects, including two Top 10's from an org (and at least one a top 50 MLB prospect, if not Top 25) and a third not far behind. Replace him with Fletcher and you'll lose a ton offensively and defensively, but he's certainly a capable SS defensively and may have offensive potential that matches Atlanta-era Simmons. 
Or Skaggs or Heaney? Suarez is an in-house lefty replacement. A team on the brink like San Diego, Colorado, or Atlanta would have extreme interest in a controllable young like them and could offer a boatload in return. Angels could make a killing shopping Simmons to the Machado buyers as a SS alternative, especially to a team like San Diego. Eppler could probably bend the Yankees over in return for Skaggs or Heaney.

Dealing any of those three would also free up some money - not a lot, but some - and reset the arb clock on that slot in the rotation. The Angels would have arguably one of the best farm systems in baseball, if not the best, and would have a steady stream of top-flight talent across a spectrum of positions, and enough freed up from payroll to still pursue a big name or two via free agency.

Trout may grimace at the thought of losing this year and next, but he could also find himself in the position of being the star mentor to a team of stud prospects a year before he walks into FA, a chance to lead the next dynasty of prospects like the Cubs and Astros. And the Angels would easiy have the payroll to do it. 

I really can't fathom this actually happening, but the thought of pouring a half-dozen+ prospects, including a couple elite ones, into the mix has some temptation to it. 

9 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

We’ve been in similar situations or worse recently and didn’t sell so I don’t see why they’d start this year. 

They actually have some pieces worth selling this year with actual minor league talent worth playing in their place. 

We simply didn't have that the last few years, nor did we have a farm deep enough overall worth trying to add to. 

Obviously the difference between Fletcher/Rengifo in '19 and Simmons is vast, as is any difference between Richards and Canning or Heaney/Skaggs and Suarez, but if you were able to add a top OF prospect, a top IF prospect, a couple electric young relievers, and three legit SP prospects on top of who we have incoming, you'd have a team with prospects to spare in trades, more payroll, and a lot of talent coalescing at once.

The only guys I can see them moving are Kinsler, Cozart, Richards, Maldanado, Calhoun, Valbuena. 

shocking but possible I guess would be Simmons, Heaney, Skaggs, Upton. 

I mean any number of those “shocking” guys tho, I mean unless you’re going to re-sign Trout right now what’s the point ? You might as well trade him now.  

You either believe in the core guys or you don’t.  We have like a 2 year window after this season. If the club believes in them, we’re buyers.  This July and in the winter. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

The only guys I can see them moving are Kinsler, Cozart, Richards, Maldanado, Calhoun.

shocking but possible I guess would be Simmons, Heaney, Skaggs, Upton. 

I mean any number of those “shocking” guys tho, I mean unless you’re going to re-sign Trout right now what’s the point ? You might as well trade him now.  

You either believe in the core guys or you don’t.  We have like a 2 year window after this season. If the club believes in them, we’re buyers.  This July and in the winter. 

Well there's a chance they can do both. They have a wave of MLB-ready prospects now, another a year-ish away. They have capital to trade for an impact pitcher and hitter without depleting the farm. You could also make a fair argument that both the rotation (more the staff overall) or the lineup may need a larger deconstruction at this point in order to win the next couple of years.

We also really don't know what Trout's thinking. The Angels may have no idea either, or they may have a very clear idea with discussions they've already had.

If Trout is to be our franchise player for another decade and he's open to that regardless, why not start getting him acclimated to the guys that will be playing alongside him the next decade? It won't be Kole and Richards 2, 3, 4, 6 years from now. It'll be Trout leading Adell and Ward and Canning and Rengifo. Get these guys into the mix asap, clear some payroll and playing time for them and get some prospects in return, and maybe we start looking like the '18 Braves or '19 Blue Jays next year.

If the Halos pitch is that they want him to be their Jeter, their captain overseeing two or three generations worth of prospect talent, then it's time for him to start meeting these guys and playing with and deciding if this is what will drive him to stick around, or maybe it isn't what he wants. We really don't know. I'm just saying that it could emerge as an option.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Well there's a chance they can do both. They have a wave of MLB-ready prospects now, another a year-ish away. They have capital to trade for an impact pitcher and hitter without depleting the farm. You could also make a fair argument that both the rotation (more the staff overall) or the lineup may need a larger deconstruction at this point in order to win the next couple of years.

We also really don't know what Trout's thinking. The Angels may have no idea either, or they may have a very clear idea with discussions they've already had.

If Trout is to be our franchise player for another decade and he's open to that regardless, why not start getting him acclimated to the guys that will be playing alongside him the next decade? It won't be Kole and Richards 2, 3, 4, 6 years from now. It'll be Trout leading Adell and Ward and Canning and Rengifo. Get these guys into the mix asap, clear some payroll and playing time for them and get some prospects in return, and maybe we start looking like the '18 Braves or '19 Blue Jays next year.

If the Halos pitch is that they want him to be their Jeter, their captain overseeing two or three generations worth of prospect talent, then it's time for him to start meeting these guys and playing with and deciding if this is what will drive him to stick around, or maybe it isn't what he wants. We really don't know. I'm just saying that it could emerge as an option.

Right, that’s why I said sign him now.  The Angels can’t dump those guys then hope Trout decides to sign a contract.  He has to be committed to the long term vision.  If he is, he needs to sign soon after this offseason.  

In addition, I have to say it’s a mistake to have guys like Trout, Simmons, and Upton.  Legitimate top tier players.  And to just kick the can down the road.  Baseball, of all sports is the most unpredictable.  Look what happened to Ken Griffey Jr.  I mean we Angel fans know better then any team in the last 20 years what prospects are worth.  We literally had an entire class of highly touted prospect fail.  I mean.  Just about all of them.  We can’t just hope Adell and Marsh are good or great.  We need to play to win now when we have Mike Trout at the height of his powers.  Otherwise, shame on the Angels.  I believe that the front office is committed.  But look, we simply have to do more.  We have way too many poor players.  Every team has guys that aren’t great.  But you can’t win when that description is accurate for more then half of the team.  We have a solid group of pitchers.  We need a good back end bullpen guy.  And we need to 1 or 2 more decent bats.  We just have to get Pujols out of the heart of the order.  These things happen and the team looks a lot different. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

The Angels should be sellers. They have to load up for the last season of Trout's deal. 2020 is the year where if you don't go on a serious run towards a championship, the franchise will slide into obscurity with Trout likely going elsewhere.

They need to stop paying money for mediocrity like Kinsler, Valbuena, Cozart, etc and start going after players with star upside.

Idk about sellers but they should put the best team on the field. DFA Valbuena. Play Fletcher at 3rd, call up Thaiss and play him at 1st. 

Let’s get these young guys acclimated to the majors so we can assess what is useful for next year and what could be used in trades or minor league depth.  Please let next year be Albert Pujols’ last 

55 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Idk about sellers but they should put the best team on the field. DFA Valbuena. Play Fletcher at 3rd, call up Thaiss and play him at 1st. 

Let’s get these young guys acclimated to the majors so we can assess what is useful for next year and what could be used in trades or minor league depth.  Please let next year be Albert Pujols’ last 

Dude, f*ck that noise.  THIS YEAR needs to be the last year.  There is zero reason to continue trotting him out there.  They’re paying that money no matter what. They have to stop letting him sink the team.  

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Dude, f*ck that noise.  THIS YEAR needs to be the last year.  There is zero reason to continue trotting him out there.  They’re paying that money no matter what. They have to stop letting him sink the team.  

He's still batting cleanup. I just can't see the team going from having him as the everyday 1B batting 4th to being off the team in a year. 

I think the most realistic optimistic result to the Pujols situation is that he platoons with Thaiss next year only playing against lefties, and then negotiates a buyout with Arte.

It is a disastrous situation how much they are catering to him.

I'm not sure what to think. I'm pretty sure the Halos will be at .500 by the weekend but that doesn't really matter. If they are still in striking distance of WC teams then they may be buyers but I can't see them acquiring enough to make a legitimate run at the playoffs. 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, The Boogie Man said:

I think there is almost no chance we are sellers.  I mean I guess if we are well under .500 and the Mariners start wining again.  But if we are within 5 or so games we aren’t selling.  

As well we shouldn't. What would that say to the players?

9 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Right, that’s why I said sign him now.  The Angels can’t dump those guys then hope Trout decides to sign a contract.  He has to be committed to the long term vision.  If he is, he needs to sign soon after this offseason.  

In addition, I have to say it’s a mistake to have guys like Trout, Simmons, and Upton.  Legitimate top tier players.  And to just kick the can down the road.  Baseball, of all sports is the most unpredictable.  Look what happened to Ken Griffey Jr.  I mean we Angel fans know better then any team in the last 20 years what prospects are worth.  We literally had an entire class of highly touted prospect fail.  I mean.  Just about all of them.  We can’t just hope Adell and Marsh are good or great.  We need to play to win now when we have Mike Trout at the height of his powers.  Otherwise, shame on the Angels.  I believe that the front office is committed.  But look, we simply have to do more.  We have way too many poor players.  Every team has guys that aren’t great.  But you can’t win when that description is accurate for more then half of the team.  We have a solid group of pitchers.  We need a good back end bullpen guy.  And we need to 1 or 2 more decent bats.  We just have to get Pujols out of the heart of the order.  These things happen and the team looks a lot different. 

Why should these decisions be based on Trout? Yes, he's important but I think this is solely about winning. The questions management should ask themselves are can this team make the playoffs, what will it take to get there and what is the cost? The team is what's important. You can't make decisions based on one man.Trout has to decide if he wants to stay.Whatever he does, management's job is the Angels' success.