• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

T.G.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

thanks for thinking of me us her.

Unknown-2.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

You can't say she isn't impressive, but for me personally she fails to reach the highest level of attractive because she comes off as dumb and sloppy.

For a weekend in Vegas?  Sure.

For an actual relationship.  Not my type.

Just now, yk9001 said:

Please.

Take a look at the top 50 rated television programs of 2017 and tell me how many are NFL-related.

A 10% dip in ratings in one season  and 17% from 2015 got the league's attention, especially when unlike some other leagues their income is primarily from TV revenue.  

40 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You can't say she isn't impressive, but for me personally she fails to reach the highest level of attractive because she comes off as dumb and sloppy.

Kmagine if the Angels had acquired Verlander last year, they'd have Upton & Upton on the team.

Kate Upton would replace the Rally Monkey with the Rally Boobs.

Just now, yk9001 said:

Here's how bad the NFL is suffering.

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings-slum/311777/

They are the top dog, but being the top dog of a perhaps dying industry is enough for them to be worried.  See the record industry as an example of how technology greatly disrupted how revenues were generated.

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

A 10% dip in ratings in one season  and 17% from 2015 got the league's attention, especially when unlike some other leagues their income is primarily from TV revenue.  

Football, by the numbers

All told, the NFL put its stamp on 13 of this year's top 20 broadcasts, and while most of those slots were commandeered by postseason games, two of the biggest draws were regular-season matchups. With an average delivery of 26.9 million viewers and a 15.2 household rating, CBS's coverage of the Dec. 17 Patriots-Steelers nail-biter now stands as the 15th most-watched, highest-rated program of 2017, while Fox's presentation of the Sept. 17 Cowboys-Broncos blowout (Denver demolished Dallas by a 42-17 margin) ranks 19th with 26 million viewers and a 14.3 rating.

It is perhaps worth noting that neither of those big-reach broadcasts aired in prime-time. As has been the case for the better part of the last decade, the NFL's national Sunday afternoon window is by far the most valuable chunk of real estate for advertisers with deep pockets. Per Nielsen, CBS and Fox together averaged 22.2 million viewers and a 12.3 household rating in the 4:20 p.m. ET window, which marked a 9 percent decline when compared to last season's 24.5 million viewers and 13.5 rating.

Discounting playoff games and the Super Bowl, the late-national package scarfed up 16 of the year's top 50 broadcast slots. According to media buyers surveyed before the season kicked off, the going rate for a 30-second sliver of ad inventory in the blockbuster window was north of $715,000 per unit.

NBC's "Sunday Night Football," which remained the No. 2 NFL window with an average delivery of 18.2 million viewers and a 10.3 household rating, accounted for six of 2017's top 50 broadcasts. And while that marked an 11 percent drop from the year-ago 20.4 million viewers and 11.4 rating, the margin separating "Sunday Night Football" from its general-entertainment competition is only widening. In eight head-to-head fall matchups, NBC's premiere NFL showcase averaged a 6.5 rating in the target demo, which works out to 8.38 million adults 18-49; by comparison, AMC's "The Walking Dead" drew a 3.8, or around 4.9 million members of the dollar demo.

Live sports has been sheltered somewhat from ratings decline as live TV is very sought after by advertisers as viewers are far less likely to skip ahead of commercials on their DVR. But as fewer eyes each year watch traditional TV, advertisers are not going to pony up as much to networks. Hence networks aren't going to pony up as much for rights. This is the trend. Now the NFL may well end up being their own content distributor. This may end up making them more money in the long run. WWE stock is at an all time high because of their network revenue. But their attendance and viewers do continue to fall. This affects the entire industry and the NFL isn't immune.

6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But as fewer eyes each year watch traditional TV, advertisers are not going to pony up as much to networks. Hence networks aren't going to pony up as much for rights.

You keep saying this, and it may be true at some point, but the facts aren't bearing this out, currently.  Let's look at the most current data point, Jan 31, 2018.  

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-fox-thursday-nfl-20180131-story.html

Fox will pay 47% more for "Thursday Night Football" over the current-season rate.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

You keep saying this, and it may be true at some point, but the facts aren't bearing this out, currently.  Let's look at the most current data point, Jan 31, 2018.  

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-fox-thursday-nfl-20180131-story.html

Fox will pay 47% more for "Thursday Night Football" over the current-season rate.

Because live sports are the bubble in the decline of TV advertising revenue. But the bubble is going to pop.

13 hours ago, Tank said:

isn't attendance often lower at the beginning of the season? kids in school and such... seems like it usually picks up once school is out for summer, plus the pennant races start to materialize more clearly.

I feel like there's an article every year in June about how MLB attendance is down. 

22 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

The shift needs to be an illegal defense.

I've come around, too. 

At first I said, "learn to hit it where they ain't!" but todays players are just interested in beating the shift by hitting it over the fence. But that's not easy with as good as today's pitchers are.

I still like the idea of a reliever having to face a minimum of 2-3 batters. Speeds up the game and takes away this left on right and right on left matchup that all managers try for.

I've railed on this many times, but I loved teams like the Cardinals of the mid 80s. Lots of team speed, great team defense, manufacturing runs. Of course, that was a product of playing on artificial turf. But taking walks, putting the ball in play, hitting behind the runner, stealing bases can still work.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

okay.

<walks away shaking head wondering WTH did i just read>

One thing about declining revenues.  Not sure why I am supposed to care about that.

Lets say theoretically that revenues decline by roughly half.  So what?

The pot to split for player's salaries gets cut in half.  So Albert Pujols is only making $12 million a year?  Mike Scioscia is making $5 million a year?  Arte has to keep just one yacht?

Not sure why I am supposed to give a darn.

Soccer is popular because if you grow up in a poor country, all you need is ONE inexpensive ball and a couple cans to delineate the goals. It can be played in a street, a dirt lot or a grass field.

It's also why basketball has become so big, internationally. One ball, one rim and net.

Now, compare that to all the equipment and the specialized fields that are needed for baseball and football. And even hockey. Schools cant afford it. There's also a much greater chance of serious injury that schools are getting wise to, ESPECIALLY WITH FOOTBALL. I firmly believe the drop in attendance and viewing has more to do with how violent the sport is. 

The rise of equality for women has also contributed tremendously to the popularity of soccer at the youth level. 

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Soccer is popular because if you grow up in a poor country, all you need is ONE inexpensive ball and a couple cans to delineate the goals. It can be played in a street, a dirt lot or a grass field.

It's also why basketball has become so big, internationally. One ball, one rim and net.

Now, compare that to all the equipment and the specialized fields that are needed for baseball and football. And even hockey. Schools cant afford it. There's also a much greater chance of serious injury that schools are getting wise to, ESPECIALLY WITH FOOTBALL. I firmly believe the drop in attendance and viewing has more to do with how violent the sport is. 

The rise of equality for women has also contributed tremendously to the popularity of soccer at the youth level. 

Same as basketball...

Playing football and baseball and hockey etc are expensive.

18 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its like any entertainment in general. Older people will have nostalgia for the same tv shows. Those days are gone. Because of instead of 10 or so channels, you have 1000. So people are watching different things. Plus less people are watching less tv, and the internet/social media is primary entertainment for younger people.

When I was growing up, there were three channels, and one was NET (National Educational Television, the predecessor of PBS). There was one baseball game on every week, carried on Saturday afternoon (until CBS bought the Yankees, then we got the Yankee Game of the Week, but only if they were at home). Now there is a saturation. Virtually every game is televised no matter what day of the week, plus all of the other sports that are on. That doesn't even account for all of the other entertainment options.

WRT advertising, eventually the old farts are going to die out. Currently advertisers are willing to spend significantly more money per eye ball on television broadcast than they do online. This is despite the fact that viewers tune out during TV commercials, while branded advertising by say youtube personalities is highly effective.

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

When I was growing up, there were three channels, and one was NET (National Educational Television, the predecessor of PBS). There was one baseball game on every week, carried on Saturday afternoon (until CBS bought the Yankees, then we got the Yankee Game of the Week, but only if they were at home). Now there is a saturation. Virtually every game is televised no matter what day of the week, plus all of the other sports that are on. That doesn't even account for all of the other entertainment options.

Perfect example. Just about EVRYBODY (until maybe recently) was a closet cubs fan (to some degree). And it was simply because cubs games came on during the day over the summer, in every city in America basically. 

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Perfect example. Just about EVRYBODY (until maybe recently) was a closet cubs fan (to some degree). And it was simply because cubs games came on during the day over the summer, in every city in America basically. 

Same thing with the Atlanta Braves, when they were on the Superstation and theirs was about the only game on at night.