• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout bat 2nd or Cleanup?

Trout bat 2nd or Cleanup?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which lineup?

• Lineup A (2nd)
    • Lineup B (Cleanup)

Lineup A:

1. Kinsler 2. Trout 3. Upton 4. Pujols 5. Simmons 6. Fernandez 7. Maldonado 8. Calhoun 9. Fletcher

Lineup B:

1. Fletcher 2. Simmons 3. Kinsler 4. Trout 5. Upton 6. Pujols 7. Fernandez 8. Maldonado 9. Calhoun

Trout came up with the bases loaded vs. Arizona and we came up with 3 runs.  That doesn't happen often enough.  

In theory, what is a better lineup, Trout potentially getting a 5th at bat in the 9th inning, or taking care of business in the other 4 at bats?

Keep in mind, moving Trout from 2 to 4 would mean roughly 36 less plate appearances a season.  

I would hit him third. We need to maximize his AB while getting runners on in front of him. The problem I see with him hitting 4th is he will be leading off the second inning too often, which will limit his total ABs over the season. Hitting second gets him more AB than hitting forth, but possible fewer RBI chances, but only in the first inning. I would like to see him hit third like Mays, Mantle, and Ruth did during their time.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I would hit him third. We need to maximize his AB while getting runners on in front of him. The problem I see with him hitting 4th is he will be leading off the second inning too often, which will limit his total ABs over the season. Hitting second gets him more AB than hitting forth, but possible fewer RBI chances, but only in the first inning. I would like to see him hit third like Mays, Mantle, and Ruth did during their time.

So if Trout hit third, who hits 9,1, and 2?

I would rather Trout hit with 2 outs and a runner on base in the first inning, than make the second out of the first inning.

Having Trout lead off the second with Upton, Pujols, and Fernandez to follow isn't so bad either.

Baseball has always been get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in.  That means the players who have high on base percentages hit in front of sluggers.

Why have Fletcher bat 9th, and bat Simmons 5th or 6th when they have some of the highest batting averages and OBP on the team?

Having Fletcher, Simmons, and Kinsler at the top of the order, Trout will constantly have runners on base, with Upton and Pujols waiting to drive Trout in when he reaches base.

Since the Angels don't have multiple on base animals to slot in front of Trout, I wouldn't put him 3rd or 4th.

The ROSTER forces him forward.  Given that 2nd is fine.

Considering that there have NOT been men in scoring position for 86% of his plate appearances so far this year, I really don't see that batting him leadoff is a problem either.

With all that, let's focus on the actual issue.  The roster.

Eppler needs to acquire somebody that can be highly functional hitting in front of Trout.

When that happens, it will be fun to consider where to hit Trout.

7 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I would rather Trout hit with 2 outs and a runner on base in the first inning, than make the second out of the first inning.

Having Trout lead off the second with Upton, Pujols, and Fernandez to follow isn't so bad either.

Baseball has always been get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in.  That means the players who have high on base percentages hit in front of sluggers.

Why have Fletcher bat 9th, and bat Simmons 5th or 6th when they have some of the highest batting averages and OBP on the team?

Having Fletcher, Simmons, and Kinsler at the top of the order, Trout will constantly have runners on base, with Upton and Pujols waiting to drive Trout in when he reaches base.

Why so he can make the last out of the inning?  If he’s going to get out with no one on why would he get a hit with someone on?

Edited by The Boogie Man

I like fletcher 9th bc it adds more depth to the line up and sets the table for the top

ive always liked cozart leading off. If Calhoun turns it around even better

cozart / kinsler

Trout

upton

pujols (DH)

Calhoun (add a lefty break up righties)

simmons

JMF (1B)

Kinsler /maldy 

Maldy / fletcher 

Kinsler has been hitting MUCH better the last month.  His last two weeks and his last month are almost identical as far as batting average and OBP, which are .270/.330ish.  I would leave him in the lead off spot.  If everyone was healthy I would go with this:

Kinsler

Trout

Ohtani

Upton

Simmons

Albert

Kole

Maldonado

Fletcher/JMF/Cozart

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

Kinsler has been hitting MUCH better the last month.

Yes, but every time he homers - Trout comes up with the bases empty.  If this keeps up, Trout won't win MVP and will leave when his contract is up.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Yes, but every time he homers - Trout comes up with the bases empty.  If this keeps up, Trout won't win MVP and will leave when his contract is up.

The last month people have still been complaining about Trout and his solo home runs.  He has had a guy getting on base at a .330 clip in front of him for a month now.  Sure that isn’t what Trout does, but no one does what Trout does.  While .330 isn’t among the league leaders it is solid.  

It's simple. Trout bats second. With an OBP approaching .500, you have better odds at scoring with an guy on (Trout) with none or one out in 20% of the times he bats (first inning). If he hits third, even if he gets on, scoring a runner from any base is low percentage with two out.

We just need to find good OBP guys at 9-1 in front of him.