• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Garage Sales

Two of my neighbors and I are talking about having a garage sale.  (First off, yes, you guys can have dibs on my used size 46 boxer-briefs).  

I’m wondering if anyone has had a garage sale since the 1970’s?  Any advice?  What time do we need to start?  (I’m not a morning guy, so I’m hoping I can set everything up and get started at like 8-ish?).  Will my Caucasian sized clothes not sell because of the customer demographics?  Should I have one of my jumbo buddies patrol as security?  What about advertising?

Thanks for all your input.

Advertising you can do for free on places like Craigslist. Signs in the neighborhood are a good idea, so that passersby can see that you're having a sale. Be prepared to cut deals with people who will take multiple items. Eight AM should be adequate for a start time. Not many people are out and about earlier than that on weekends. Have some change on hand in case some people try to pay with $20s. Some stuff you will be surprised that it sold, while other items you will be surprised that they didn't. Each sale is a function of the people who stop by and what they are looking for. Check to see if your community requires a license to have a garage sale. Some do, some don't.

What VHF said.  But the more families you can get involved the better.  If there is a community forum/bulletin board, whatever.  Use it.  It's surprising how many neighbors buy things.  

But the more houses involved, the better.  Those people that do the garage sale rounds definitely stop where they can hit a lot of houses at the same time.  

Craigslist is a great place that people still look at.  Take pictures of some of the stuff that you think will sell.  And Apple stuff, there are people who do the rounds just on that stuff.  So if anyone has that, definitely advertise that.  Clothing also sells surprisingly well.  And tools.  Other surprising thing that sold quickly was old pots and pans.  /shrug.  

Also, do a one day and not multiple days.  The time I did it, got like 80% of the traffic on Saturday, and not as much on Sunday.  

Big stuff will be gone early. Start at 7-8am. People will come by and try and buy it on the cheap so they can turn around and sell it at a flea market the next weekend. Bikes, weights, tools, furniture in good shape will go quickly. If you have collectibles advertise those. Clothes, books, dvds and cds you’ll be lucky to get more than a few bucks. Total. 

Keep things boxed and ready to go so you can take it straight to goodwill after. Most likely you won’t have much traffic after 10 or 11. Don’t bother after that unless you like sitting in the sun watching the lonely old guy down the street whine about paying a buck for something. 

My favorite is the drive bys. The people who slowly pass while trying to scope out what you have and then take off without stopping because your shit ain’t worth their time. 

I’ve got lots of clothes, a car bike rack, car roof carrier, old records, some old tools, old angels memorabilia, knick knacks, baby clothes, some pool cues and just a bunch of other random shit.  My one neighbor has power tools from the 70s and 80s and old people clothes.  The other one will probably have shit like me.

i don’t think we’re gonna have TVs or couches or much furniture.

So Mexicans will buy my Gringo sized clothes?  Awesome.  That’s really all I needed to know.

10 hours ago, calscuf said:

Two of my neighbors and I are talking about having a garage sale.  (First off, yes, you guys can have dibs on my used size 46 boxer-briefs).  

I’m wondering if anyone has had a garage sale since the 1970’s?  Any advice?  What time do we need to start?  (I’m not a morning guy, so I’m hoping I can set everything up and get started at like 8-ish?).  Will my Caucasian sized clothes not sell because of the customer demographics?  Should I have one of my jumbo buddies patrol as security?  What about advertising?

Thanks for all your input.

We have a community garage sale in May every year and we can typically do a pretty good purge. Kids clothes, shoes, and various tools usually sell pretty quickly. I think 7:30 or 8 should work. You're in Orange so I'd expect you'll get more traffic than we do.

46 minutes ago, red321 said:

I hate when my wife comes home with stuff from an estate sale...ugh...dead people cooties. Hey honey, look at this swell blanket that some old person died under...

Went to one Estate sale and picked up some 2002 Angels World Series items and some depression glass. It was rather creepy going through the recently deceased home and we've never gone to another one since.

Creepy and depressing...your entire life comes down to junk on a table you are trying to sell for a quarter so you don't have to pay someone to haul it away

We just emptied my mother in laws house...mother in law was worried about people stealing stuff and I finally said...they'd be doing us a favor, at least then we aren't paying someone to get rid of it

17 hours ago, red321 said:

My favorite is the drive bys. The people who slowly pass while trying to scope out what you have and then take off without stopping because your shit ain’t worth their time. 

THE worst drivers! Take their eyes off the road the whole time so they can survey your crap from the road. Also the worst parkers. Facing against traffic, blocking the neighbor’s driveway. 

I love estate sales.  But yeah, they are creepy as f*ck.

Garage sales don't happen much here in the city, but would def check one out if I came across it.  Have good memories of early Sat mornings riding around on our bikes or skateboards or rollerblades on the way to the arcade or to play street hockey, and coming across all the random sh*t people were selling.

On this front - whatever happened to that show American Pickers? I enjoyed it.

38 minutes ago, Tank said:

I think American Pickers is still on every Monday.

It depicts Americans that Bay Area Americans just don’t want to accept exist so it’s been taken of local cable channels.

1)  Don't price/sell anything for under a dollar.  You don't want to have to deal with coin change.  If something isn't worth $1, either throw it away or sell it with something else to get the combined value up to $1

2)  Have plenty of change (ones, fives and tens).  People will always come buy stuff for $3 and give you a $50 bill for it.

I agree on the quarter thing...few years ago dude bought something for a quarter after haggling down from a dollar, and then tried to give me a $20 bill and asked for change. Told him I couldn't break it, so he asked if I'd just give it to him. At this point I was annoyed so I said no. Dude walked to his car, grabbed a quarter, and then threw it across the street into our yard. I was more pissed because he left without the item and it was just one more thing I had to take to goodwill.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

I agree on the quarter thing...few years ago dude bought something for a quarter after haggling down from a dollar, and then tried to give me a $20 bill and asked for change. Told him I couldn't break it, so he asked if I'd just give it to him. At this point I was annoyed so I said no. Dude walked to his car, grabbed a quarter, and then threw it across the street into our yard. I was more pissed because he left without the item and it was just one more thing I had to take to goodwill.

lol that's awesome.

reminds me of ghost world.