• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Harper hitting .213 in his free agent walk year

His slump might be costing him $2m a day.

Remember he was going to get $400 million?

And he is doing it to himself with no discipline.

He has 52 walks but based on the fact that nobody throws a him a strike, that number should literally be 100 or more.

As long as he keeps swinging at balls out if the zone, his OB% suffers, his BA suffers, and his SLG suffers.

Why would you throw him a strike?

Had he patiently taken his 160 walks this year and hit .275/.400/.590 with 40 homers he could market himself as the guy worthy of that next monster contract.  Instead he flails at pitches out of the zone wrecking all his numbers.

I don't think anyone believes he cant hit anymore and won't destroy strikes, but if you have no discipline that is worthless.

Now what is he going to get?

Any predictions? 

I know my Dodger friends/family members say everything they hear/read is saying the Dodgers definitely want him.  He is a proven enough player to earn a huge contract even if he doesn't turn things around this year.

I just find it odd the Nationals haven't seemed to try hard to keep him.  Is it because he is known for having such an attitude problem?

Harper is an immense talent and when he's clicking there's no hitter quite like him. That said, I can't but enjoy when he's struggling. Schadenfreude, I guess, for an unlikeable personality, or maybe it is the Trout-Harper link.

My prediction(s)....even if he continues as is and hits something like .220/.350/.500 with 40 HR, he'll get at least 10/$300MM. Everyone knows the talent is there to at least repeat 2017, even do more (2015 was ridiculous). Now maybe Harper will want more than he's offered, then he can take a Qualifying Offer to prove himself. This might not be a bad idea, as he'll be able to piggy-back off of Machado's contract and if he returns to 2017 level, that 10/$300MM becomes 10/$400MM.

So maybe we have:

2018-19 offseason: Machado 10/$350MM, Harper QO

2019-20 offseason: Harper 10/$400MM, Trout extension 12/$550MM.

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Harper is an immense talent and when he's clicking there's no hitter quite like him. That said, I can't but enjoy when he's struggling. Schadenfreude, I guess, for an unlikeable personality, or maybe it is the Trout-Harper link.

My prediction(s)....even if he continues as is and hits something like .220/.350/.500 with 40 HR, he'll get at least 10/$300MM. Everyone knows the talent is there to at least repeat 2017, even do more (2015 was ridiculous). Now maybe Harper will want more than he's offered, then he can take a Qualifying Offer to prove himself. This might not be a bad idea, as he'll be able to piggy-back off of Machado's contract and if he returns to 2017 level, that 10/$300MM becomes 10/$400MM.

So maybe we have:

2018-19 offseason: Machado 10/$350MM, Harper QO

2019-20 offseason: Harper 10/$400MM, Trout extension 12/$550MM.

I would think some team would still give him a "big" contract, but with an opt out after 1/2/3 years.  I don't think he's going to risk having no big contract at all.

I'd say something like 8 yrs./275-300 million.  Maybe front loaded for the first 2, then an opt out.

yr. 1 & 2, 40 mill

That typed, if he keeps this pace, would he be hard pressed to get 6/200 million?  It would still be 33+ AAV.

If he signed for <8 years he will still be FA at age 32-33, though he may not want to go through the process again, and if he regresses as he ages he might not get another franchise-type contract.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Bryce needs to go back to being a douchebag 

He pissed people in Washington off by wearing a Vegas Golden Knights jersey during the Stanley Cup finals. Someone on a Capitals' board said that he "ought to represent his home town", which was exactly what he was doing.

5 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Sadly he's still going to get a contract that probably pays more him more per AB than the average worker in this country makes in a year.  

Sadly?  There is nothing "sad" about that.  If I could wave a magic wand, one thing I would do is get rid of the negative emotions attached to economic envy.

Millions and millions of people are positively motivated by seeing others have economic success.

I am happy to see people do well, and it tells me I need to keep pursuing something better for myself.

I see no sadness in Bryce Harper landing a monster contract after hitting .213.