Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Wild Card Winner.


Recommended Posts

The only time the Angels have ever qualified as a wild card is........................................................................................................................................................................................2002; the only year we won the Wold Series. Lets go for two in a row. 

 

Now before someone gets all crusty and try’s to be all pessimistic, I know that the format was different and the Wild Card now only gets you into the opening round of the playoffs where you have to beat the other wild card in a one game series. However, that is the point. It only takes getting in as a wild card to have a chance. With Mike Trout, anything can happen in one game. And remember back in 2002, we probably had the worst chance of all the other playoff contenders to actually win it all. And we won it all. Sometimes you just have to go for it. And now is one of those times. I am not saying we gut our farm, but I say a few moves would definitely help us. And who know, we may just go 2 for 2 as Wild Card World Series Winners. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But there is a chance. A shut down closer and another bullpen arm. Along with getting Ohtani back(even I if just for DH, although if he could pitch at the end of the season that would greatly help) would go along way in helping us achieve that goal. I would even consider another bat, and DFA Valbuena, young, and Marte. Heck, even Ward, Thaiss, Canning, or Suarez may provide a spark. And a spark is all we need. Being hot and healthy with a playoff spot(even a Wild card spot) is the recipe for post season success. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I certainly don’t discount it.  I just want to make sure we don’t go “all in” if it means we are overpaying for rentals.  I would love it if the team found ways to upgrade the current roster with above average players.  Not sure who is available to take over at 3rd on the trade market.  Moustakas has cooled off.  If Ohtani is out for the year, I don’t know who the 1st baseman trade target could be.  We all know the bullpen guys that are available.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

....Not sure who is available to take over at 3rd on the trade market.  Moustakas has cooled off. 

I still think he'd be the best target, if the price is right.....Like Upton last year, he'd also be a good bet to re-sign, even with Boras involved (that may be naive on my part).....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I still think he'd be the best target, if the price is right.....Like Upton last year, he'd also be a good bet to re-sign, even with Boras involved (that may be naive on my part).....

No, I actually think he would relatively easy to resign.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

No, I actually think he would relatively easy to resign.  

Rarely is anybody an easy re-sign with Boras....even when he screws the pooch like he did last winter with Moustakas....but, after last winter and a probable desire by Moose to play at home, this might be a little different...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I certainly don’t discount it.  I just want to make sure we don’t go “all in” if it means we are overpaying for rentals.  I would love it if the team found ways to upgrade the current roster with above average players.  Not sure who is available to take over at 3rd on the trade market.  Moustakas has cooled off.  If Ohtani is out for the year, I don’t know who the 1st baseman trade target could be.  We all know the bullpen guys that are available.  

i don't think you discount it, but i also don't think you value it, at least not enough to make the effort to reach it.  You've made a couple things very clear, you don't want them doing rentals, and you dont want to give up top talent, well those 2 things are in opposition to each other.


Long term controllable guys cost FAR more in trade, there is no way you get that without losing some of those top guys you don't want to.   Rentals cost far less and should not require top guys.  Sometimes, a rental isn't a bad idea to save those future parts.


What you want doesn't exist, you want a long term controllable guy(s) without giving up top talent, when has that ever happened?  You want to have that cake and eat it to and that's never going to happen.

I'm open to all options.  There are guys i absolutely do not want to trade, no question, but what or who i'm willing to give up depends 100% on the return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, floplag said:

i don't think you discount it, but i also don't think you value it, at least not enough to make the effort to reach it.  You've made a couple things very clear, you don't want them doing rentals, and you dont want to give up top talent, well those 2 things are in opposition to each other.


Long term controllable guys cost FAR more in trade, there is no way you get that without losing some of those top guys you don't want to.   Rentals cost far less and should not require top guys.  Sometimes, a rental isn't a bad idea to save those future parts.


What you want doesn't exist, you want a long term controllable guy(s) without giving up top talent, when has that ever happened?  You want to have that cake and eat it to and that's never going to happen.

I'm open to all options.  There are guys i absolutely do not want to trade, no question, but what or who i'm willing to give up depends 100% on the return.

You have the market cornered on misquoting me.  I just have this feeling you read what I write, then because it differs from your opinion, you bastardize my opinion to pretend like you are right.   I said that if our farm is the same as the Nats farm as far as talent and we had to give up our 11th and 12th best prospects (which according to AngelsWin is Ward and Thiass) I would not even consider making the trade for Herrera.  I do not want rentals if they cost us any of our top guys.  To me that list also includes guys that have had breakouts this year, like Ward and Thiass.  I do not want to give up Marsh for a rental.  I’ve also said that this team has to deserve to be upgraded and that if there are too many holes to fill then I would prefer they don’t trade parts of the future in an attempt to win now.  By deserve to be upgraded I mean the players have to start winning some games that they should win, regardless of the pen.  These are all things I have said.  I have also said that I would give up almost anyone, not including Adell or Canning, for the right type of long term solution in the pen.  

My wish list would be to get a reliable closer, possibly two, while taking on an expensive contract with it, to lessen the actual prospect cost going in the package.  Something like taking back Will Myers in a Brad Hand deal that adds payroll, but doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg to get Brad Hand.  I also suggested to get Alex Gordon along with Herrera to lessen the cost to get the rental if the cost for Herrera was too high.  

So if you want to misquote me again, go for it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

You have the market cornered on misquoting me.  I just have this feeling you read what I write, then because it differs from your opinion, you bastardize my opinion to pretend like you are right.   I said that if our farm is the same as the Nats farm as far as talent and we had to give up our 11th and 12th best prospects (which according to AngelsWin is Ward and Thiass) I would not even consider making the trade for Herrera.  I do not want rentals if they cost us any of our top guys.  To me that list also includes guys that have had breakouts this year, like Ward and Thiass.  I do not want to give up Marsh for a rental.  I’ve also said that this team has to deserve to be upgraded and that if there are too many holes to fill then I would prefer they don’t trade parts of the future in an attempt to win now.  By deserve to be upgraded I mean the players have to start winning some games that they should win, regardless of the pen.  These are all things I have said.  I have also said that I would give up almost anyone, not including Adell or Canning, for the right type of long term solution in the pen.  

My wish list would be to get a reliable closer, possibly two, while taking on an expensive contract with it, to lessen the actual prospect cost going in the package.  Something like taking back Will Myers in a Brad Hand deal that adds payroll, but doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg to get Brad Hand.  I also suggested to get Alex Gordon along with Herrera to lessen the cost to get the rental if the cost for Herrera was too high.  

So if you want to misquote me again, go for it.  

I base my comments on what i read, and the bottom line is that youve made 2 things very clear;  you want no rentals, and you wont trade almost anyone in the top 25.  Im not sure how exactly ive misquoted you there, but meh.

It doesnt matter in the slightest how our farm compares to anyone elses, in fact by even using that comparison you counter yourself as by definition if they are not as good, not as likely to become quality major leaguers, and therefore they are not as valuable, but i digress.  


And yes i read your suggestions, but i see 2 huge issues you are overlooking.
#1 to make such a deal is a pure salary dump, how many teams are in that position right now?  There is no benefit aside from salary dump to them, and noones trading an elite closer for that, they need to get something back. 
#2 you are also not considering that the front office has made it abundantly clear they are busting the luxury tax, so taking on a garbage deal isnt in the cards.  Unless that changes your suggestions are moot.

As far as i can see you want to have that cake and eat it to.  You want the perfect deal for the perfect player and you want it without trading anyone on the farm.  I think we would all agree to that, but the reality is that doesnt happen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, floplag said:

I base my comments on what i read, and the bottom line is that youve made 2 things very clear;  you want no rentals, and you wont trade almost anyone in the top 25.  Im not sure how exactly ive misquoted you there, but meh.

It doesnt matter in the slightest how our farm compares to anyone elses, in fact by even using that comparison you counter yourself as by definition if they are not as good, not as likely to become quality major leaguers, and therefore they are not as valuable, but i digress.  


And yes i read your suggestions, but i see 2 huge issues you are overlooking.
#1 to make such a deal is a pure salary dump, how many teams are in that position right now?  There is no benefit aside from salary dump to them, and noones trading an elite closer for that, they need to get something back. 
#2 you are also not considering that the front office has made it abundantly clear they are busting the luxury tax, so taking on a garbage deal isnt in the cards.  Unless that changes your suggestions are moot.

As far as i can see you want to have that cake and eat it to.  You want the perfect deal for the perfect player and you want it without trading anyone on the farm.  I think we would all agree to that, but the reality is that doesnt happen.  

Yea you don’t know how to read.  I’ve never said I didn’t want a rental and I’ve never said I wouldn’t trade a top 25 guy.   Stop making shit up.   Because I disagree with you doesn’t mean you should lie or pretend I say things I don’t.  

As for not busting the tax, I’m not asking them to do that.  They are $20 plus million under the tax.  

I’ll trade a top five guy for the right player, but not for a rental.  Hell I’ll trade Adell for the right guy, but there are very few guys I’d trade him for, and no they aren’t rentals.  

Still waiting for you to come up with a trade scenario, you would do.   

Who would you trade Marsh for?

Canning?

Adell?

Ward?

Thiass?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yea you don’t know how to read.  I’ve never said I didn’t want a rental and I’ve never said I wouldn’t trade a top 25 guy.   Stop making shit up.   Because I disagree with you doesn’t mean you should lie or pretend I say things I don’t.  

As for not busting the tax, I’m not asking them to do that.  They are $20 plus million under the tax.  

I’ll trade a top five guy for the right player, but not for a rental.  Hell I’ll trade Adell for the right guy, but there are very few guys I’d trade him for, and no they aren’t rentals.  

Still waiting for you to come up with a trade scenario, you would do.   

Who would you trade Marsh for?

Canning?

Adell?

Ward?

Thiass?

 

 

i quit at never said didnt want a rental... youve said it numerous times, im done, have a peachy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

i quit at never said didnt want a rental... youve said it numerous times, im done, have a peachy 

Thanks for dodging the question.   You are incredibly consulistent in your inability to grasp conversations.  Lifetime would be proud of your efforts.  

#ididntsaythat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

You have the market cornered on misquoting me.  I just have this feeling you read what I write, then because it differs from your opinion, you bastardize my opinion to pretend like you are right.   I said that if our farm is the same as the Nats farm as far as talent and we had to give up our 11th and 12th best prospects (which according to AngelsWin is Ward and Thiass) I would not even consider making the trade for Herrera.  I do not want rentals if they cost us any of our top guys.  To me that list also includes guys that have had breakouts this year, like Ward and Thiass.  I do not want to give up Marsh for a rental.  I’ve also said that this team has to deserve to be upgraded and that if there are too many holes to fill then I would prefer they don’t trade parts of the future in an attempt to win now.  By deserve to be upgraded I mean the players have to start winning some games that they should win, regardless of the pen.  These are all things I have said.  I have also said that I would give up almost anyone, not including Adell or Canning, for the right type of long term solution in the pen.  

My wish list would be to get a reliable closer, possibly two, while taking on an expensive contract with it, to lessen the actual prospect cost going in the package.  Something like taking back Will Myers in a Brad Hand deal that adds payroll, but doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg to get Brad Hand.  I also suggested to get Alex Gordon along with Herrera to lessen the cost to get the rental if the cost for Herrera was too high.  

So if you want to misquote me again, go for it.  

I could see us taking on Phil Hughes contract in a Brad Hand trade, but not will myers. Padres already got a 3rd rounder for taking on the contract so essentially if we include his deal (1 year left after this year) that’s the same as giving them a 3rd rounder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, floplag said:

This is precisely why i dont understand people discounting the wildcard, we of all fanbases should know better. 

In 2002 the wildcard made the division series and got to play a best of five. They were on equal going with any other playoff team. The rules are different now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...